How can I make a player want to stay.

I have a player with 4 years left on his contract. He wants to move for a new challenge. Im Real Madrid, so its obviously not him wanting to move to a bigger club.

Has anybody out there had any luck convincing star players to stay when they declare they want a new challenge. If you have, please let me know because I am desperate to keep him.

Just offering GIGANTIC contracts is the only thing I've had luck with, say 200% of their current wages, but that in a signing bonus, huge goal bonus.

Already tried. Hes not interested. he is currently on £150,000, offered him £250,000, £10,000,000 sof, £40,000 app &goal bonus and he rejected, I will keep trying though.

Do you think making him captain would help? Ronaldo retires at the end of the season and this guys influence is 19 so I was thinking of promoting him from vice captain anyway.

I would sell the guy and buy some good talent with the money you can make from it.

He is the best player in the world, selling is my very last resort.

Im looking for advice on how to keep him, as I really want to keep him.

Anyone had any luck in convincing players to stay? And how did you do it?

I'd just sell him.

You know what they say about no player being bigger than the club. You'd be far better off moving him on and bringing in someone who wants to play for the club.

No offence intended, but could people please stop saying "sell him". I am quite aware that this is an option.

I am looking for ways in which to convince a player to stay. This is to a)help me keep a player, and b) provide others with a future reference point when they wish to convince a player to stay.

Squad harmony hasn't yet been affected, probably because we are still doing well and the guy is still performing well.

One player alone won't make a huge difference to the overall, but his unhappiness does have an effect. He might also be prone to perform below his potential although with your team (and with his ability) that might not be obvious straight away.

Why wasn't he your captain already? With a 19 influence and a 17 determination, plus some decent goalscoring and good match ratings, he seems like a natural captain; that might be why he wants to move on.

The other piece missing is his personal information screen; is he really ambitious? What's his motivation like? All of those would play into how you handle it...and, really, at the end of the day you're still probably better off selling him on, because that high influence can easily cause him to be a royal PITA if he's the sort to mope around the dressing room.

He is worth keeping, just look at his goals to games ratio.

He isn't captain yet as Ronaldo is, and I must admit to being a Ronaldo lover (Im a Man Utd fan).

And I really don't want to sell him, also I signed him for Inter from Lazio whilst I was Inter boss, then signed him as soon as I got to Real, so have some affection and loyalty to the player (sad I know, but, meh).

He is worth keeping, just look at his goals to games ratio.

He isn't captain yet as Ronaldo is, and I must admit to being a Ronaldo lover (Im a Man Utd fan).

And I really don't want to sell him, also I signed him for Inter from Lazio whilst I was Inter boss, then signed him as soon as I got to Real, so have some affection and loyalty to the player (sad I know, but, meh).

Ronaldo's gotta be, what, 37? You should probably take the captaincy away from him for Tarentino...or at least give Tarentino vice captaincy.

If you have the money, offer him a huge contract for less time. Maybe the illusion that he can leave in two years will change his mind. Just be careful with him, because if he gets upset he's the kind of player who could bring the rest of the team with him; you're Real Madrid, it's not like you can't replace his scoring.

He looks good, not nessecarily worth 90+ million but definately world class. Have you tried signing players he has good relationships with? In the past that has heped me settle players in, might be worth a shot?

Agree he'll also make a good captain as soon as possible.

Btw is Ronaldo still providing the goods at 37 or are you just sentimental keeping him as captain?

He looks good, not nessecarily worth 90+ million but definately world class. Have you tried signing players he has good relationships with? In the past that has heped me settle players in, might be worth a shot?

Agree he'll also make a good captain as soon as possible.

Btw is Ronaldo still providing the goods at 37 or are you just sentimental keeping him as captain?

Both, more sentiment than otherwise.

just carry on playing him. eventually he will decide that he is fine with being at the club

totally thats what I do, he'll continue to play well to impress any visiting scouts, I've never had a problem with moaning players wanting to leave but if it continues I usually end up selling them eventually. However I know there are some players who are so good you simply don't want to get rid of. If it's one of those I wait till they have a year left on their contract then offer them a good deal, if they refuse it I offer them to clubs. There is always the chance its taken out of your hands by the board accepting an offer for the player but I've found this rarely happens.

The thing I do in this situation is sell him for a cheapish fee relative to his value. Then insert a buy-back clause in his contract for the same fee, then get him back the next transfer window. Don't sell him to the really big teams though, the worse the team you sell him to, the better.

This always works. You may have to wait a full year (at worst), but it works out similar to a loan arrangement, I suppose.

He has 4 years left on his contract... so simply play him and win some silverware. He should be happy soon (you should extend his contract then!). Maybe you have the option "resolve issue" in the player interaction menu? If so, tell him something that will make him stay ('youre not going anywhere' or 'you want him to help the club match his ambition')

As others have said, if you keep playing him, round about when you win your next cup he'll think, for a while, that there's no need to move - at that point, sign him to the longest contract possible. He'll probably get restless again, but as long as he's not within a year or two of his contract expiring, you can always expect to calm him down again soon enough to get his name on a new deal.

I've had otamendi come out twice this season saying he wants a new challenge, i simply responded by saying that i wanted him to stay to try and help the club progress, even though i'm a top side, and both times he changed his mind and said he wanted to stay.

Had this a couple of times on 09. I put them up for transfer but asked a massive fee. Of course when nobody wants to buy them for this much their problems pretty much got resolved and they realised they'd be better of staying. Not gonna sell them for less than their worth but if someone wants to pay the huge fee then it a win win. I either keep the player or get tons of cash. Like I said though this was on 09 so don't know if it's any different on 10. Also captaincy helped no end

Just got to december and all the speculation started again. He again said he wants to go, but when I said he has to stay he admits he was wrong to want to leave and he is now happy at the club.

Thanks to everyone who has offered their advice on this matter, and hopefully this thread will help others in future.

Archived