Most frustrating, unrealistic goal ever

I have never written on the forum before but I am an avid reader of it. But after what happened on my recent game I felt i had to write, coz I was so frustrated by the lack of realism..and I wanted to see what you guys think.

I am a Charlton fan so my first aim for FM2010 has been to get the Addicks promoted back to the Premiership. I am into my third season - my second in the Championship - after winning League One in my first season (by the way, Charlton winning League One isn't the lack of realism I am speaking about, lol).

So i've just started the 2011/12 Championship season and I am looking for my third straight win after beating a newly-relegated Bolton 2-0 at The Valley in the league opener and then beating Dagenham & Redbridge 6-1 in the League Cup (okay it's not the biggest achievement in the world but a win's a win)

So I'm away at Coventry and winning 2-1. The clock ticks 90 minutes and four minutes are put up as injury time. I am feeling reasonably comfortable (biggest mistake) as i have controlled the game and i am now minutes away from celebrating a third straight win.

Then, in the 91st minute, my right back Yassin Moutaouakil intercepts a rare Coventry attack just inside my own half and passes the ball back to my young keeper - who is on loan from Chelsea.

He controls the ball nicely..'Phew' i think, it hasn't gone through his legs or taken a nasty bobble. He's got time and not a Coventry player in sight.

Que realism going out of the window....

...To my amazement (and soon anger) my goalkeeper begins to dribble the ball out of the area. 'Kick it', 'Kick it' i shout (admitedly he can't hear me, coz he's an animation)...

...But he continues to dribble, and continues, and continues...until suddenly he's midway into my half, about 30 yards from my (his own) goal....and there is a Coventry striker at his feet...who tackles him...and passes the ball into an an empty net...and levels the scores.

The game ends 2-2.

Now it's not that i've conceeded a late equaliser. Nor would I be as angry if Coventry had scored through a mistake like if my keeper had dropped the ball from a corner, because as frustrating as it is, that does happen.

I'm angry coz of the lack of realism. I have followed football and Charlton for 20 years and I have never seen that kind of thing happen...a keeper dribbling midway to his own half, especially when he's team is winning...in injury time.

I even looked at his eccentricity and it is 9 out of 20. Okay it could be lower but it certainly isn't Jose Chilavert/Fabien Barthez proportions.

And this is my gripe. For the record, I love FM2010. I actually think it is the best one since Championship Manager 4. And i really hate moaning coz i think in general terms it is a blinding game. But it is this lack of realism which happens from time to time, like really stupid, non-sensicle own goals, that really bugs me, especially when you can see it unfold in front of your very eyes. Mistakes are one thing. Non-realism (is that a word??) is another!!

I suppose the only consolation I can take from my keeper's 'mishap' is that it wasn't against Millwall or Palace.

By the way, is it illegal for a manager to shoot a goalkeeper, lol!

Same happened to me. It was a free kick just outside our penalty area, so the keeper took it. Gave it to the defender, defender gave it back to him. Then he just stood there. Literally. Even when he got tackled and the ball rolled into the net. One minute over the stoppage time that was originally even awarded.

I suspect (but I could be wrong) that this is the 3D engine interpreting an event that's happened in the match engine, which may not be quite as it should appear. Let me explain:

The match engine may have determined that your keeper might have taken a touch or two too many, gotten tackled, and an easy goal was scored by Coventry. It is easy to imagine how that could happen: your player plays a heavy back pass back to the keeper, who needs to take a touch to steady himself, cocks it up, is tackled and a goal is scored.

Now, the 3D engine has shown you what the Match Engine says has happened, but it's shown it in such a way that your keeper has dribbled it, rather than taken a couple of extra touches, before being tackled.

I could be completely wrong with that - I don't 100% know how the 3D engine interprets the Match Engine when showing you highlights. It's just a theory.

I suspect (but I could be wrong) that this is the 3D engine interpreting an event that's happened in the match engine, which may not be quite as it should appear. Let me explain:

The match engine may have determined that your keeper might have taken a touch or two too many, gotten tackled, and an easy goal was scored by Coventry. It is easy to imagine how that could happen: your player plays a heavy back pass back to the keeper, who needs to take a touch to steady himself, cocks it up, is tackled and a goal is scored.

Now, the 3D engine has shown you what the Match Engine says has happened, but it's shown it in such a way that your keeper has dribbled it, rather than taken a couple of extra touches, before being tackled.

I could be completely wrong with that - I don't 100% know how the 3D engine interprets the Match Engine when showing you highlights. It's just a theory.

This could be the explanation. If so, its even more justification to ignore 3d and go back to 2d. The 3d just isn't good enough yet and I would hate for SI to waste valuable time trying to get it right when they could be working on things such as media and transfers.

This could be the explanation. If so, its even more justification to ignore 3d and go back to 2d. The 3d just isn't good enough yet and I would hate for SI to waste valuable time trying to get it right when they could be working on things such as media and transfers.

Although the 3D and 2D engines both show exactly the same results from the Match Engine in fairness. I thought the 3D engine was OK? At least it seems to show the same results as the 2D view?

I am so bored of press conferences though. And I can't even lead them to my assistant (Iffy Onuora) as he keeps upsetting my team!!

Although the 3D and 2D engines both show exactly the same results from the Match Engine in fairness. I thought the 3D engine was OK? At least it seems to show the same results as the 2D view?

I am so bored of press conferences though. And I can't even lead them to my assistant (Iffy Onuora) as he keeps upsetting my team!!

Its just the way it looks in 2d doesn't seem as half assed as in 3d. More is left to my imagination (which is a lot more powerful and knowledgable about football than my PC).

Press conferences need some serious work they could be such a great, immersive feature.

strange things happen in real life look at henry's handball against ireland you would expect the ref to see it and not give the goal but he didn't, thats what makes fm great it throws up these great little pieces, i've had them go for and against me i've seen my keeper score a 60 yard free kick with 20 sec left i've also seen my keeper drop a corner into his own net. its why football and fm is so good

I'm angry coz of the lack of realism. I have followed football and Charlton for 20 years and I have never seen that kind of thing happen...a keeper dribbling midway to his own half, especially when he's team is winning...in injury time.

I even looked at his eccentricity and it is 9 out of 20. Okay it could be lower but it certainly isn't Jose Chilavert/Fabien Barthez proportions.

You forgot about

. Who would dribble the ball into midfield.

Not to say that it isn't the 3d representation incorrectly displaying what happened, or that a keeper with median eccentricity should be dribbling into midfield. However, it's something that has happened in football in the past, and there's no reason it wouldn't happen again. It's unusual, but it's within the realms of realism.

Dont think its a bug, Ive seen my keeper do some very stupid things, like run past the centre back to try and get the ball, I put it down to him been a fool lol, even though he is great most of the time, Ive been playing 7 seasons and seen this sort of thing twice, strange things happen in football

You forgot about
. Who would dribble the ball into midfield.

Not to say that it isn't the 3d representation incorrectly displaying what happened, or that a keeper with median eccentricity should be dribbling into midfield. However, it's something that has happened in football in the past, and there's no reason it wouldn't happen again. It's unusual, but it's within the realms of realism.

Higuita was an eccentricity 20 player, which is a bit different.

Archived