Best Lower League/Non-League Management Experience

In which country have you had your best lower league/non-League experience?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. In which country have you had your best lower league/non-League experience?

In which country have you had your best lower league/non-League management experience?

By lower league/non-League, I am taking about starting at the lowest level that you can and working your way up.

I've added a poll to this thread. Unfortunately, I am only allowed to select 10 options, so I have just picked those countries in which I have heard other people have enjoyed a lower league management game. I apologise in advance because it is very Eurocentric basically due to the fact that I know little of the leagues in the game outside those stated. :o

Please note that the poll only takes into account using a database without edits. I am mainly interested in hearing about your experiences with the official leagues that come with the game. However, if you feel that your favourite experience has been with an edited database, then feel free to tick other and explain why. Equally, if your favourite option isn't shown then please vote for other and state your choice.

Regardless of what you vote for, I'd be interested in hearing the reasons for your choice. If you have more than one choice, please vote for your favourite and then state your other preference.

From my personal point of view, I look for certain things from a lower league/non-League game. I tend to look for the following:

1) Plenty of levels/steps/tiers to the league system.

2) Very little money making it a tough challenge!

3) All (or most) of the teams should be semi-pro or even amateur.

4) I quite like regional divisions at the bottom level, so that there are plenty of local derby matches.

5) A few cups, in which you have the possibility of giant killing!

6) Low attendances but also some clubs with potential for the future.

7) Overall, a tough challenge to get out of the division and progress up the leagues!

My first vote would probably be for England because I don't think you can beat the depth and it ticks pretty much every box. Second on my list might be Sweden but I've not really had a long enough game there to decide and I'm not sure if it meets with all of my criteria.

I think I'd really like Wales if it wasn't for the fact that there was just one league to play in. Same with India, which I have enjoyed in the past. Italy is great fun but I feel that the clubs are a little too big at Serie C2 level to be 'proper' lower league style! Finally, Scotland might be another to match some of my desires from a lower league game.

So, which country has given you your favourite lower league experience?

Norway. It's just fun.

I think it actually suits the style by which lower league managers will get greatest achievement, i.e. a tougher, more aggressive style of football. Some Norwegians might disagree of course.

Well on to my big game with divisional leaders Kristiansund. My Nardo side are struggling and I have the awful feeling we're going to get humiliated.

England's always good, my Defuge's challenge Gateshead save is one of my best ever saves on any FM (it was on '08). Took a long time (I think I reached about 2026) and was pretty difficult, but I eventually got to the top of the Prem and won the Champions league.

However, I've gone for Italy in this poll because my current FM09 game has been immensly enjoyable. It's 2026 and I'm Barletta who start off in Serie C2. There's not a massive amount of leagues to get through, but the restrictions on players make it quite interesting, as you're only allowed to have a certain number of players in certain age brackets registered.

England seems to have the biggest numbers of hurdles to get over. I've found Scotland rather restrictive and don't really like having to play everybody four times.

I've spent quite a bit of time recently messing about with different tactics and clubs and not really settled on a serious save. However, I have now decided to go for BSS with Thurrock (who are about as awful as you can get). I've said that I think we can avoid relegation (minimum expectation was to fight bravely against it!). Hope I've not been too optimistic!

Definitely Italy for me. Quick seasons as only 18 teams so 34 games. What makes it for me is the play offs for promotion and relegation. So top 5 and bottom 5 are involved in either promotion or relegation and only 8 teams out of 18 in mid table mediocrity. This makes it very competitive as you can go from promotion contenders to relegation candidates in the space of a couple of games. Add in player restrictions, a lack of cash and impatient chairmen and it provides a really good challenge. The only drawback is the cups. The serie C cup for me does act as 'competitive friendlies' though!

I've spent quite a bit of time recently messing about with different tactics and clubs and not really settled on a serious save. However, I have now decided to go for BSS with Thurrock (who are about as awful as you can get). I've said that I think we can avoid relegation (minimum expectation was to fight bravely against it!). Hope I've not been too optimistic!

Good luck with Thurrock. You might find that there is some room for over-achievement there as they are doing rather well in real life at the moment. 7th place in the league and knocking on the door of the play-offs. No idea what they are like in FM though!

The system in Brazil is mental! And progression is so hard, only a few teams ever get promoted. So Brazil get my vote.

I do quite like France though.

tbh i have never managed a lower team in either of those countries so i will take your word for it.

Do you mean regarding the promotion and relegation slots?

I'll give some of my own thoughts about the various countries here to generate some discussion.

England - As I said in the opening post, it pretty much ticks every box. A great place to start a lower league adventure.

Scotland - The major problem with Scotland is the size of the divisions and the fact that you have to play the same sides over and over. I also don't like that there isn't relegation from the bottom tier. It has pretty much everything else though.

Wales - The Welsh Premier annoys me mostly because there is only one tier. Otherwise this is a potentially interesting place to go and eventually playing in Europe with your Welsh minnows could be a big thrill.

N. Ireland - This would seem like a true lower league manager's favourite. Lots of tiers, lots of semi-pro teams and lots of cups!

Italy - I love Italy but starting in C2 just doesn't seem small enough. There is also the lack of cups.

France - The lowest playable level in France has semi-pro teams alongside professional ones. Again, some quite biggish teams really. Otherwise could be interesting.

Sweden - Another lower league favourite, no doubt. Loads of small clubs in regional divisions. For some reason, many of the lowest division clubs have been made professional in this version and I can't really work out why. :confused: Only one cup so not much cup interest to keep you going.

Norway - Looks like another one for lower league enthusiast. Similar to Sweden really. Small clubs, mostly semi-pro, just the one cup.

Brazil - Personally way too confusing for me. :o I've never really been able to get into a lower league game in Brazil.

Others:

India - I've had fun here in the past. Only one tier though. Teams are professional now.

Germany - The lowest division teams are all professional and a bit too big for lower league management.

Those are the ones I know about.

5th tier of German football, pretty good at first, but then once you actually do really well, its a bit boring.

Denmark wasnt too bad but again, the league wasnt very challenging.

Brazil would be one I'd like to manage in the future and Italy.

I think the only countries that I've played in the lowest league are England, N Ireland, Italy and Brazil.

I voted for England as the familiarity with the clubs and the geography makes it the best for me, although thinking about it, the best lowest league experience I've had was in Brazil. The league system was brilliant, so many little sub-leagues and such a small chance of actually winning promotion. I got a bit frustrated in Serie A but Serie C was amazing.

Good luck with Thurrock. You might find that there is some room for over-achievement there as they are doing rather well in real life at the moment. 7th place in the league and knocking on the door of the play-offs. No idea what they are like in FM though!

They are awful - projected to finish 22nd......:(

My two favorite lower league games were with Jaszapati in Hungary and PSISra in Indonesia.

Hungary is pretty straightforward, only two tiers but the second tier is regional. I just liked all their weird Hungarian names.

Indonesia has three tiers, but is probably one of the easier places to progress. Lots of promotion places and the youth system there is weird. Instead of each team getting a youth intake, the game just dumps 4000 newgens into the search pool June 1st of every year and you can scout/trial a bunch of promising ones and take your pick of them. The AI teams will compete with you to sign the really good ones (being Indonesia there's no one amazing really) but I found it a bit easier than the usual way.

I voted other... Spain in particular.

I do like lower league games in many countries, I just think starting out in the Segunda B is a good challenge, right until the final playoff match.

Even if you win your division (in my case Segunda B4 with Granada CF), you still have to get through playoffs against teams from the other three divisions to get promoted.

Tubey will be along shortly to back this up, whilst also claiming that Sangonera are better than Granada :p

I do like lower league games in many countries, I just think starting out in the Segunda B is a good challenge, right until the final playoff match.

Even if you win your division (in my case Segunda B4 with Granada CF), you still have to get through playoffs against teams from the other three divisions to get promoted.

Tubey will be along shortly to back this up, whilst also claiming that Sangonera are better than Granada :p

I was managing Sangonera on FM10 and they were a good challenge with some good players and good stadium.

My two favorite lower league games were with Jaszapati in Hungary and PSISra in Indonesia.

Hungary is pretty straightforward, only two tiers but the second tier is regional. I just liked all their weird Hungarian names.

Indonesia has three tiers, but is probably one of the easier places to progress. Lots of promotion places and the youth system there is weird. Instead of each team getting a youth intake, the game just dumps 4000 newgens into the search pool June 1st of every year and you can scout/trial a bunch of promising ones and take your pick of them. The AI teams will compete with you to sign the really good ones (being Indonesia there's no one amazing really) but I found it a bit easier than the usual way.

Interesting post. :thup:

Nice to hear the views of someone who has gone 'off the beaten track'. :)

I've never really played in Spain to be honest. Perhaps this is one for me to check out in the future. Sounds like a tough promotion structure. :eek:

Has anyone tried lower league in Belgium? That looks like quite a challenge. Some amateur teams down there.

Thinking about it. Lowest league is nearly all Amateur, the Second Divsion is a broad mix from Professional to Amateur, the top league has a wacky playoff system. Interesting system, top to bottom.

mine is england and fleetwood town. Started a career with random club ticked and was given them. oding really well. no transfer funds and only £250 a week left for wages. first season won the bss as i was linked with wigan and had a few young players of them firing on all pistons. second season i got sunderland as a parent club (changed from wigan due to no players wanting to return for a second season) won the bsp on final day with 1 goal better than 2nd 2 goals better than 3rd.. 3rd season liverpool was my parent club (i kept changing parent clubs due to no funds and offering better funds for being affiliated). still no transfer funds or wage budget. finished top thanks to a good run after only 13 games i was bottom and 4 points from safety and went on to a 30 game unbeaten run (11 wins and 19 draws.) finished lg2 top again only on a 1 goal difference and that was thanks to a 93rd minute goal that took me top. lg1 i still had liverpool as a feeder club to me. had a transfer budget of 250K and wages of £4k a week to splash on (first time i ever had a transfer funds available.) meant to add whilst in each division i had board takeovers 2) was on my 6th owner by lg1. finished 5th and won the playoffs thanks to man utd loaning me a spanish regen who single handedly scored all the goals on the semi and playoff. Championship loomed then. had a takover here for my 7th owner who wasnt a sugardaddy but gave me a healthy £5 million and wages of £500k to bring in players. i had a player developing well in the youth setup. brought him in and was banging goals in for for. by january i was 9 points clear at the top. unfortunately for me man city, chelsea, man utd and barcelona came in for him valued at 2m managed to get after player became unhappy with interest shown in him got £12 mill plus 10% sell on. chairman accepted over my head and i tried a new contract but got rejected. however this seemed to work in my favour as players were glad to see him leave (didnt realise he was what my squad was unhappy with). i bought in a couple of spanish under 18 regens who kept me top at the end of the season and finsihed top by a single point. prem loomed got a huge transfer budget of £25 million to attempt to avoid relegation. bought in a couple of good players such as jordan henderson from sunderland, fernando cavenaghi who was 32 at this point and transfer listed. also bought in julio santa cruz on a free along with kasper schmeichel from notts county. really difficult season for me. couldnt string a number of results together but finished 16th and only a point above the relegation (i had the 2nd worst goal difference in the league so would have gone down if not for the point.) board was pleased new contract given. this season im in now i have gone for mid table and after 12 games im currently 9th and had a transfer budget of £33 million (also bought in a couple of good brazillian regens who have gone from being good players to turning into wonderkid reps). Man city bought up my french defender regen (was described as a wonderkid) after loaning him for 4m loan fee and i put in an agreed amount of £80 million as i knew man city had plenty of cash. They bought him for £63 million that chairman had accepted over my head but now looking good for me. transfer is now standing at £56m and not spending as squad is happish (poor it says for harmony but all morale is superb) and i dont want to spend whats in transfer as it would put me into the red and i need an expansion and upgraders on my facilities (adequate youth and training facilities and my stadium although sodl out every game is onlt 5000 so hoping to add to that.)

There is no way I am going to try and make sense of that last post.

I've dabbled in other countries - mainly France (enjoyable Zealot clan game), Italy and Spain but always end up returning to England on the next save.

Haven't been down that sort of level for ages, though Norway was great when I was there on 05. More because that happened to be one of the jobs where everything clicked really than by any assessment of criteria, though 4 regional divisions with 1 promotion spot (I think) each makes for regionalism and competition for advancement and I can vouch for the challenge aspect. Being a a club small even by that level's standards there was no money, when I arrived I had to promote all the youth players to make a squad (and one or 2 were pretty good), and a large (at that level) budget deficit (though a retirement or 2 aleviated that after the 1st of my 2 years). I'd certainly recommend it.

I usually play the lower leagues in England but I started a game in France (loaded only to National. I wanted CFA but for some reason it wouldn't load). I started with ESTAC and its been a blast. We were promoted to Ligue 2 in my second season and are still there.

The biggest problems are Non-EU roster limits (only 2 players allowed) and freakin ambitious players!!!!! All my good players are ambitious and always want to leave. I get very attached to my players and its sad to "hear" that they want to leave.

I've played with Ireland, which is pretty precarious with several semi-professional and amateur teams. I almost chose India, but was so disappointed that FM does not use proper logos for those teams, that I just gave up.

FM, please use the real logos for teams in Brazil and India, among many others.

Anyone had any experience of managing in these countries?

I'm in my second season with Aberystwyth Town (semi-pro status) of the Welsh Premier League. Took over last season during the Winter, ended 12th in league, but finished on an high note. Have a stronger team this year, but it's only a couple months into the season. I loaded all UK/IRE-based players into my database, so there's plenty of players to scout and consider. At this low level, finding a player with just a few key attributes above average will give you a key player. There are no well-rounded players, the difference between mediocre and talented is sometimes a couple attribute points in a couple key places that make a particular tactic work.

Currently I have two Wales U21 national team players and the San Marino U21 captain (who has English as his other nationality). I'm quite well represented on the international stage compared to most of my league opponents.

Playing in Wales is like playing on the moon, however, as anyone outside of the UK/IRE very, very rarely considers a move to Wales (due to the low reputation, I'd assume). Continental minnow national team players would rather sit unemployed for years than come to Wales, in my experience. It's a very insulated experience.

In Mexico, Club Deportivo Estudentes Tecos. Joined them about five seasons after a spell at Chonqin (spelling error) in China.

Estudentes Tecos was a fantastic save I had brought in some terrrific young talent from USA.

Anyone had any experience of managing in these countries?

Yeah after leaving Estudentes Tecos I have joined HK in Icleand. At the end of the first season I finished 9th, then I brought in losts of free agents (I have only ever spent 3k with the team they have next to no money) and won the first divison and achieved promotion. It is a very enjoyable save.

Archived