FMH '10 PSN sale - Buy or no buy?

So FMH 2010 goes on sale for EUR 19.99 for two weeks on PSN as of tomorrow. I didn't get it before since the pricing was out of control for Holland (EUR 45 for a long time, I just noticed it's currently EUR 34.99) but I've always been interested.

However I took a look at the bugs thread here and it seems there are even more issues this time than in 2009 (which I still play and love). What's worse, some of the more annoying bugs have not been addressed, it seems. Such as signing top players when managing lower-league sides under the Bosman ruling.

Also, in 2009 the Germany national squad consisted of greyed-out players, ignoring the existing players, and never had a manager in all my games.

Do annoyances like this one still occur in 2010? How many of you prefer 2009 over 2010? Should I upgrade or wait for FMH 2011?

I took the plunge and grabbed it on PSN. I was suprised how small it was. Only 45mb. Im still learning the ropes and getting a handle on the change from 09. Im still seeing the strange 4-5 ratings that were in the older ones.

• SI Staff

Maks - can you please let me know what issues you've found which are problems please (my email is marc.vaughan@sigames.com) and I'll do my best to assist you.

PS - My dutch isn't the greatest so if you can reply in English then that'd be helpful, if not then I'll manage to struggle through I'm sure ...

Hopla! Meneer Marc Vaughan verstaat Nederlands :D

Ik had het niet verwacht. Maar om op je vraag te antwoorden: ik vind het spel geweldig!

Het is, net zoals hier al meermaals vermeld, een totaal verschillend spel dan 09.

Wat Maks zegt, klopt misschien wel voor hem, maar voor zowat al de anderen loopt het spel heel vlotjes en zonder problemen. Ik speel dit spel ongeveer een uur per dag vanaf zijn release (in november ;).

Ik raad het echt aan :)

I'd say: take the plunge :)

Cheers.

(P.S.: I'm sorry to write this in Dutch, but it's the first time I can do this. It feels like a relief xD)

Maks - can you please let me know what issues you've found which are problems please (my email is marc.vaughan@sigames.com) and I'll do my best to assist you.

PS - My dutch isn't the greatest so if you can reply in English then that'd be helpful, if not then I'll manage to struggle through I'm sure ...

Sure, I will e-mail you this afternoon. I really like the concept of this game and I will buy it every year. I stoped playing other games after I touched this game.

The thing is, this game keeps making my PSP freeze. I get this everytime when I'm in the second season, month 2, second day. I anticipate this by going on a holiday for a week (on the game, not irl. lol) but it's getting on my nerves.

I'm also a bit disappointed at SI for making Leroy Fer really bad in this game. In real life he's a total beast who totally owns Wijnaldum. Also key player Stefan de Vrij from Feyenoord is really bad. On the other side, Sulemani whos a total flop is really good on this game. The same goes for Aisati.

• SI Staff
I'm also a bit disappointed at SI for making Leroy Fer really bad in this game. In real life he's a total beast who totally owns Wijnaldum. Also key player Stefan de Vrij from Feyenoord is really bad. On the other side, Sulemani whos a total flop is really good on this game. The same goes for Aisati.

As Scott mentioned there is an editor available which should make it relatively easy for you to tweak any data which you feel is 'wrong' - unfortunately ratings of players will always be somewhat 'subjective' for people and so its impossible for us to be 100% correct for everyone in the world with our judgements as peoples views on things (and indeed players form in reality) is different.

You can find links to the editors here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=169421

(its for this reason that Bobby Zamora doesn't have a higher CA in the game despite being one of my favourite players ;) )

• SI Staff
May I ask what your people base their ratings on?

How do they decide a players CA/PA?

i doubt it would be like 'hey, why don't we just paste 150 on him?'

Thanks in advance

(please bear in mind I don't organise the research so this might not be 100% accurate - as I haven't checked the details in quite a while)

We have a huge team of people scouting the teams and players and rating them in detail - for most major countries this is a minimum of a person per club, who has to attend a certain percentage of matches (inc. youth matches I believe).

The players are rated in great detail regarding their overall ability and ability in each area (hence the various attributes visible in the games and the hidden ones).

The database has built in 'safety checking' which flags to us if data appears out of whack compared to the player (ie. a current ability of 1 and skills across the board of 20) or a 200 ability player playing for a lower league club.

I'm personally not allowed near the database research at all because I'm known to be ever so slightly biased towards Brighton .... ;)

(in case you weren't aware the data used in FMH PSP itself is exactly the same as used in the FM PC game itself - we just display and use it slightly differently)

• SI Staff
Do you use the same researches for finances because with Liverpool on FM PC you get around 5m (i think haven't got the game) but on FMH you get 40m+ :confused: :D We don't want an easier game :rolleyes:

The transfer budget on FM PC takes into account spending done up until the game is released whereas that isn't subtracted on FMH, this is intentional and while it inflates the money available a little its the same across all games (and saves a little bit of memory storing a value only ever used once on game startup).

• SI Staff
Well, i must thank you.

You've answered a question that's been on my mind from the beginning.

I'm guessing you use people from the country itself?

e.g. Belgian people for the Belgian clubs?

Yes very much so (strangely enough for a 'games company' SI actually have the worlds largest football scouting network I believe, indeed in the past we have had professional clubs contact us requesting information upon players which is kinda neat :D).

Blimey Marc, that's very impressive! I want that job! I bet football agents are very interested in your work...

Thanks everyone for your input! I bought the game!

I think the extra features are great but unfortunately I also found the game to be more buggy than FMH09... One example: the game crashed during a match as a result of me pressing pause/play. No matter how many times I pressed the button again, the game wouldn't continue. No extra stuff installed btw. I experienced zero crashes in FMH09.

So actually it may be hard to convince me to buy the next iteration on the first day it's out. The pricing is very unattractive and when you do bite you expect a perfect or at least near product.

I didn't know about the German national squad by the way. It's a shame you can't even apply as their manager at a later point during the game.

And as a final 'request': I would die happy if you could release Championship Manager 93/94 for PSP. The late Jason Kaminsky had quite the career in my games.

Archived