Players, Their positions and ratings

I have a question that's been bugging me for awhile now, Are star ratings important when it comes to determining someones skill in that position? For example, I am coaching arsenal and Nasri, Arshavin, and Rosicky are all natural AMFs yet in real life they all play on the wings, but their stars/recommendations in these positions take a hit.

Do these stars really matter or is it their attributes that really do the talking? I have been trying to play every player in their natural position but when i play nasri say in centre mid as an attacking playmaker on attack, the attributes highlighted for him are really good, but he only has 2 stars there as opposed to the 4 star rating he has as an AMF. Does it matter?

ps. In the team tactics screen, is it the same thing when a playmaker/targetman is ticked and chosen and when a player is a playmaker/targetman by role(greyed out) or is it merely a suggestion?

Yes it does mater, mainly because the player is comfortable in the specific position, he can play different roles though but he will excel in that natural role. Unless you find a good tactical tweak for him so he can exploit his strengths.

That strikes me as being odd if not stupid, the attributes highlighted/required for a attacking playmaker in centre mid and attacking mid position is exactly the same but because it's not his 'natural' position his ability to play in that position/stars/coach recommendations are automatically halved? that's not exactly the versatility i was hoping for :S

Does anyone know about the tactics thing(if it's the same thing if a playmaker is automatically given or checked and chosen)?

Does anyone know about the tactics thing(if it's the same thing if a playmaker is automatically given or checked and chosen)?

Do you mean does the game automatically choose the playmaker or it's better to do it manually?

Certain tactics when created at the beginning will put some MC or AMC positions as playmakers, but it's up to you to set it correctly I recommend it :)

The coaches are muppets. Stick them where you think they'll be good and see how they do. My right winger is rated at 1 and a half stars (at qualification for euro football through league finish- ie they say he's only a decent championship player) and he was second in young player of year last season and likely to win it this year.

What I do with Nasri and Arshavin is to retrain them so they are natural in the AML or AMR positions, that way their star rating won't take a hit and they will be more comfortable when playing in those positions... i.e more effective.

How exactly do the game's mechanics handle a player playing out of position? Does he suffer a behind-the-scenes hit on certain mental attributes (positioning, off ball, etc.), or is it just a rule of thumb?

Exactly that, not sure which exactly but positioning and decisions are definately affected iirc. I recall there being articles on FMBritain and Gameworldone regarding this.

Archived