i'm sure years ago the AI used to build great teams

Fairly new too FM2010 and enjoying it so far , i'm winning so i'm bound to be enjoying it :)

I've noticed in recent version of FM/CM that the AI doesnt seem to build good teams , they make silly transfers and after a few years playing all the top teams have pretty average sides apart from the odd player they started with.

Years and years ago in the earlier versions when it was CM the top teams used to always build really strong teams . I'm not saying the game was alot harder but when you looked at the top AI teams they were impressive on paper , it felt good to beat them as they had assembled there own good teams . Maybe im remembering through rose tinted glasses but im certain the AI used to build the type of teams you would expect.

Wish they could improve this aspect of the AI. I can't see it would be that difficult encouraging the top teams to buy highly rated players playing well . Anyway its a negative comment but i am enjoying the game and i do like the new interface and tatics and training.

I think the model for developing players (tutoring, giving young players enough playing time to develop properly, using a good training program) is something the AI is very poor at so after a while the teams have a bunch of underdeveloped players and veterans.

And since the AI is horrible at nurturing players they become unhappy/cheap and the AI is horrible at protecting assets. I'm quite convinced Aston Villa won't sell Fabian Delph in January 2011 for €3M in real life. That would be utterly absurd. But in FM...

Hmm.. I noticed in 2016 with my current save that Porto has got plenty of talent yet they fail to come even close to the title they finished 4th again, then i went to see Sporting's players because they won and my jaw dropped the main goalscorer was looking like my 2nd best striker and I'm in the second tier of Portugal football just won my first promotion and title in this save, I went on and saw couple of players that played 20+ games for them and really at Porto there where lot better players for those positions.

So my conclusion is the AI's fault is creating the wrong tactic for the team.

yeah totally agree with thread. I remember in the past versions it was so difficult to get quality players. The big team always wanted whoever you wanted or had already snapped them up before you'd even heard of them. Maybe there are just too many players in the game world that are good so there's not much competition for their signatures...doesn't explain why other teams seem to do so little to improve their squad. I know in fm2008 an 9 all other teams would have huge transfer budgets when they offer you a job a few years from the start so makes no sense that they wouldn't have spent it. Maybe it's the transfer window that's messed up the game in this way.

As already mentioned the other teams seem poor at developing talent. I often look at players i expect to have progressed in 2-3 years and see they no better than at the start of game so now are totally not worth buying. Maybe in past versions the ai cheated to have all there youngsters progress fast....even this would be preferable. The ai teams probably have worse coaches and if the trainig is set up as it is at the start for your team...with coaches duplicating schedules instead of focussing on 1 each it's unsurprising.

On the other hand if the teams were blooding youngsters earlier it may just become easier to succeed quickly. If it's not that difficult to compete against a team full of stars if you were then playing against some stars and some youngsters may become a joke.

And since the AI is horrible at nurturing players they become unhappy/cheap and the AI is horrible at protecting assets. I'm quite convinced Aston Villa won't sell Fabian Delph in January 2011 for €3M in real life. That would be utterly absurd. But in FM...

I've not got into a save long enough to see the OPs point happening, but I do know that in my save, Villa won't sell Delph for below £20mil...

I've not got into a save long enough to see the OPs point happening, but I do know that in my save, Villa won't sell Delph for below £20mil...

Got him for 1.5m in 2012. He'd played sporadically for villa (13 apps then 25 then 17 in first 3 seasons- all competitions). You'd think if they played him fairly often in his teens they'd be looking for him to kick on in his early twenties. I suppose they had bought denilson from Arsenal they previous year so makes some kind of crazy sense. Any human manager would have rather got rid of Sidwell I'm sure.

ive seen this i loaned out a youngster to man city after they offered 5 million for a season loan. i put in a £60m clause for them to sign and they offered me £63 after they first offered £58 was rejected. This player made only 10 appearances on a 12 month loan and since being transfered 6 months ago played 3 times. this needs a balance

I think the model for developing players (tutoring, giving young players enough playing time to develop properly, using a good training program) is something the AI is very poor at so after a while the teams have a bunch of underdeveloped players and veterans.

In mine it's 2023 and he's been at Villa the whole time. First team player, and had about 40 caps to boot. Although when I became England Manager, he was dropped fairly quickly.

Years and years ago in the earlier versions when it was CM the top teams used to always build really strong teams . I'm not saying the game was alot harder but when you looked at the top AI teams they were impressive on paper , it felt good to beat them as they had assembled there own good teams . Maybe im remembering through rose tinted glasses but im certain the AI used to build the type of teams you would expect.

That could be because of the regeneration system used in the early game. A new player with the same stats would replace a retiring player, the only differences would be his age, name, and physical stats. An example would be Scholes retiring out of the game after 15 years serving Man Utd, they would get a replacement with the same stats and playing in the same position. I don't kow when they changed the system (I went form CM97/98 to FM05, due to not having any disposable income), but at some stage they revamped it, and then changed it into the current system (where regens are completely new game entities rather than copies of old ones).

you might be correct but i was reffering to the short term , they dont even assemble a great team in the short term. In alot earlier versions you could look at a top team winning the top trophies and they would have lots of big names , the sort of team you were building yourself.

That could be because of the regeneration system used in the early game. A new player with the same stats would replace a retiring player, the only differences would be his age, name, and physical stats. An example would be Scholes retiring out of the game after 15 years serving Man Utd, they would get a replacement with the same stats and playing in the same position. I don't kow when they changed the system (I went form CM97/98 to FM05, due to not having any disposable income), but at some stage they revamped it, and then changed it into the current system (where regens are completely new game entities rather than copies of old ones).

Sorry but that is not true. Yes the regen would be a young version of a player, such as Scholes, but he would not automatically be placed in the same team.

In my game, AC Milan was playing extreemly old players in their starting line up. Maldini, Costacurta, Favalli and almost stuck to the same squad well into 2010.

Also Manchester United stuck with Giggs, Scholes and some other oldies well into the 2010/2011 season.

This would never happen in real life!

Must be a bug.

I have to disagree with the OP. I think the AI teams/manager are much more astute than they ever have been and seem to buy some very good players in comparison to other versions. But obviously we have a massive advantage over the AI in most aspects of the game - as to a certain extent we can pretty much hand pick all the most promising players and the AI only get the left overs. So maybe certain aspects or aids that give us an advantage over the AI needs to be stopped to make a better playing field as opposed to saying the AI are getting worse/or are rubbish.

I have to disagree with the OP. I think the AI teams/manager are much more astute than they ever have been and seem to buy some very good players in comparison to other versions. But obviously we have a massive advantage over the AI in most aspects of the game - as to a certain extent we can pretty much hand pick all the most promising players and the AI only get the left overs. So maybe certain aspects or aids that give us an advantage over the AI needs to be stopped to make a better playing field as opposed to saying the AI are getting worse/or are rubbish.

yes but in much earlier version the AI would hand pick all those best players as well , they would buy up the best players in the world , you would look at there team and it would be full of the top players . If you looked at a world famous top team like AC milan , barca , bayern etc and they were winning things they would all have great squads. I wouldnt look and go 'eurghh , who the hell is that they have bought ' :) , i would look and think ' good team on paper' .

Managers that the game generates are terrible in comparison to managers in the default database; this is probably the cause of at least some of the late game AI problems. There are people managing Inter who should be managing Swindon.

The AI has to play it straight, unlike humans who tend to engage in massive amounts of metagaming. I'm not saying the AI is good, it's not, but it's not fair to compare it to "cheating" humans.

:eek: How dare you.

Quite easily. I've got better options like my CM at Liverpool. Delph was bit part anyway, half his caps were from the bench.

Plus, me winning the Euro Championship with my Liverpool CM and Jack Rodwell as my midfield pairing has vindicated me!

Archived