Share your experiences if you've managed one of these teams

Ok so i've narrowed myself down to a few clubs which i am interestied in starting a new game with.

If anyone has managed any of these clubs would you like to share your experiences? Or even if you have any reccomendations for whatever reason i'd like to hear them.

VILLARREAL

OLYMPIQUE MARSEILLE

BENFICA

PORTO

ATLETICO MADRID

OLYMPIQUE LYONNAIS

SEVILLA

SHAKHTAR

DINAMO KIEV

ZENIT

WERDER BREMEN

GIRONDINS BORDEAUX

CSKA MOSCOW

Cheers in advance. :thup:

Villareal...difficult, but with a few quality signings, getting 3rd place can be reality.

edit: lost Santi Cazorla in the second season on a free, which cripples me for the second season, and i stopped playing it.

Thats the aim really, building one of them into a real domestic and continental force. just can't decide! :confused:

Edit: That must have been harsh. Losing big stars doesn't bother me too much if i get a good fee but on a bosman i think i'd feel the same as you.

why not only load top div of portugal, france, holland, Russia and randomise till you get one you like.

May look into that, but like i said the teams ive selected are for the reasons stated above so i'm hoping to go with one of them.

Shakhtar and Dynamo Kiev are both domestic forces already, the challenge is persuading your quality players to stay, and to buy new ones in. I played a Shakhtar save in FM09 and I was able effectively put out your second team and thrash half the other Ukranian Premier teams. The challenge came in Europe and keeping the players happy in the second season.

Ok so i've narrowed myself down to a few clubs which i am interestied in starting a new game with.

If anyone has managed any of these clubs would you like to share your experiences? Or even if you have any reccomendations for whatever reason i'd like to hear them.

VILLARREAL

OLYMPIQUE MARSEILLE

BENFICA - Genuinely got bored after 9 months, found it fairly easy, was only challenged in the CL

PORTO - Pretty much same as benfica

ATLETICO MADRID - Suprisingly interesting, need to look at rejuvenating the side a little bit, not a major force domestically or in Europe and there's potential there

OLYMPIQUE LYONNAIS Again with the right additions to the side you should win the league first season without too much hassle, the squad is getting on a bit though iirc

SEVILLA - Played with them for about 4 years until I won the CL and then took the Arsenal Job, which I regretted in the end

SHAKHTAR - Fairly easy, only Kiev provide a real test domestically, but I found attracting good players wasn't as difficult as it probably should be?

DINAMO KIEV

ZENIT

WERDER BREMEN

GIRONDINS BORDEAUX

CSKA MOSCOW I found this quite challenging due to the squad limits for foreign players in russia, as most of CSKA's top players are foreigners and trying to work out who to play can be interesting, and then I found the russian newgens weren't really up to scratch and it kind of killed the enjoyment for me (Was on 10.1)

Cheers in advance. :thup:

Have had saves with a fair few of them, shown my thoughts above

In my current game I played 5 seasons with Sevilla. I won 3 titles, a cup and a CL. Lost Europa league final in first year. Even after my leaving they remained an European topclub.

In the same save I also played with Porto, only 1 season though. Won everything in Portugal but they were a bit too weak for European glory.

With Benfica or Porto is fairly easily to dominate the national league and you are only going to be challenged on Europe.

On Benfica you can make a deadly Target man/Poacher duo with Cardozo and Saviola and just score for fun, you also have Di Maria, Aimar who is still a beast and some other great players like Ramires and Javi Garcia, you might need to do some signings for the right wing though.

I had two seasons with Sevilla, didn't really look at their whole squad, they were my stepping stone into the big boys (Arsenal), so I just played with the players I had in the first team.

I did great in the first season, not so great in the second.

Overall they're a very mediocre side, with some cleaning up you can cough up enough money to build a solid team, the first team itself is perfectly capable of finishing in the top 4.

At Madrid is an exciting challenge to start with.

They have the ability to challenge for 3rd at best. And it takes a few seasons to break the Real Barca top 2.

The players already there are good and attracting quality players is handy enough. Defence is a bit ropy, but not bad.

But if you build the squad up over 4 seasons you should be able to topple the Real Barca combo.

Keeping them is the struggle though.

You could easily get 10 seasons with At Madrid before getting bored with the 3 team triopoly, but it's pretty decent game to start there.

At Madrid is an exciting challenge to start with.

They have the ability to challenge for 3rd at best. And it takes a few seasons to break the Real Barca top 2.

The players already there are good and attracting quality players is handy enough. Defence is a bit ropy, but not bad.

But if you build the squad up over 4 seasons you should be able to topple the Real Barca combo.

Keeping them is the struggle though.

You could easily get 10 seasons with At Madrid before getting bored with the 3 team triopoly, but it's pretty decent game to start there.

I agree with this chaps, I takes me a good few seasons of building with Atletico (and Valencia) before I can break in to the top two. Suppose this is realistic.

I agree with this chaps, I takes me a good few seasons of building with Atletico (and Valencia) before I can break in to the top two. Suppose this is realistic.

And Sergio Asenjo is a great goalkeeper, he's really good in the game, young and lasts you years and years and years.

I love good goalkeepers, really makes a huge difference.

I'm playing with my friend as At.Madrid and he's Sevilla and now in the 6th season I've become the best team in Spain and Europe, last season I won the treble and used only players that where not in my Starting XI in the Cup until the Final.

I was taken over by a Tycoon in the 3rd season and now money is NO object and the squad I have pretty much destroys all ...

At the moment I'm pretty bored with it as the League is such a breeze just have to worry about 6 games per season there (Real Mad, Barca and Sevilla) the rest are usually a walk in the park and I also usually get the best out of those 6 games.

Cracking the Real - Barca ownage took me one season as i won the League second season, then the third they took it back and I finished 3rd, fourth season I was second after my mate's Sevilla side, although I played that season so good that I would have won the league 9 out of 10 times with 97 points and a GD of +65/70 - but I made a stupid draw against Athletic late on and cost me the title ...

But I have enjoyed these seasons and will probably play 3-4 more and try and win 5 cups a season(That was my goal for this one but Genoa beat me with a pen on the 1st minute and Amelia owning all)

I can say Atletico Madrid is a lot of fun. The squad has a lot of offensive talent, but defensively is lacking. A lot. Even after adding quality defenders, it took me several years before I was able to actually beat the likes of R. Madrid or Barca. (Was still winning the league though, as they would slip up against terrible teams when it mattered...) My first win against R. Madrid came in the league I think 4-5 seasons in. Beat them in a CL final later that year though, so it's all good. I'm on season 6 or 7, and have beat R. Madrid 4-0 at the Bernabeu, and Barca 2-0 at home. If you win anything or do well, you will get lots and lots of money. I've made a team of several good wonderkid regens and leftover players from when I first arrived, (As in the average age of my starting 11 last year was 23.) and am currently dominating La Liga and the group stage of the CL. I've got a world class 19 year old English winger who is especially good. He currently contends with average rating, MotM, etc. with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi. :cool: Oh, and Oscar Cardozo has like 26 goals in 25 appearances, which always helps. Especially when he plays up front with Aguero. :thup:

So half the squad is built, but rather than for the future, for right now. You need immediate fixes in the back, while securing some good talent up front for what is to come. A good challenge, but not too difficult. Do it!

I remember buying Sahko, Mexes and Walter Samuel and Maicon for my defence in 3 years with 48 mth installments.

It still took me another season with those players bought. I also had Eden Hazard, Henry Saviet, and a few others I can't remember.

But still it wasn't until around the 4th season I broke the Real Barca combo.

ok well, me and my brother played a game in Ukraine (on 2009), he was with Shakatar and I was with Dinamo Kiev. The main thing to note is that Shakatar get huge installments of money each season from their chairman, however the amount decreases and if you make a profit they will end up taking more out than they put in. Thanks to this money my brother managed to create an incredible midfield which went

Leonardo Santiago ML (from NAC breda)

David Beckham MR (from LA Galaxy)

Joao Moutinho MC (from Sporting)

Miguel Veloso MC (from Sporting)

Its worth noting that Moutinho often ends up at one of the big 5 in england so Shakatar obviuously have a lot of buying power. As Dinamo Kiev however, I struggled to keep up with my brother, even though they start off with the better team the money they have and their stadium is measly compared to Shakatar (who have just completed a 50000 all seater).

As the game went on I realised that Shakatar were the most realistic choice if you plan on chasing the champions cup. There is one catch though, each year that passed the restrictions on the number of non-ukrainians allowed in the team decreased, and eventually stopped at around 3-4. Luckily, all the players had gained nationality by then, but its a serious limit on the potential of the team. Even if they are loaded. Altogether it was a really fun game, but I wouldnt suggest playing as Dinamo, Shakatar are the best option.

Hope this helps and good luck:thup:

p.s If you are looking for a long term challange i would suggest trying either FC Basel (Switzerland) or FC Kobenhavn (Denmark). Both make large profits so it is fun trying to make them compete in the Champions Cup, though they totally dominate domestically

I remember buying Sahko, Mexes and Walter Samuel and Maicon for my defence in 3 years with 48 mth installments.

It still took me another season with those players bought. I also had Eden Hazard, Henry Saviet, and a few others I can't remember.

But still it wasn't until around the 4th season I broke the Real Barca combo.

Yea, Sakho is a god. Captain of my team right now. :thup:

Currently playing a Bordeaux game and it's good! Obviously you have Gourcuff to build your team around but Lyon and Marseille has arguably better teams, strength in depth and spending power. Also the team is reaching it's peak so it's time to go looking for good young prospects to step in. Obviously the challenge is in Europe but domestically it's great fun too :)

Archived