Finances - Chelsea

Okay, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but anyway..

Can anyone give me some tips on how to make a profit, with Chelsea in particular, without selling many big names. I find that I can only make a very small profit at the end of every season if I win both Premiership, and Champions League. I don't buy many players, and when I do, I spend about £30m a year. Um, I was thinking gate receipts has something to do with me not making as much money as I want at Chelsea, as Stamford Bridge holds little over 41,000 people. My wage budget currently stands at 1.5m/week.

So does anyone have any advise?

Win trophies. Sorry to state the obvious, but the best way to earn money is through decent prize money, so placing high in the league and getting to the latter stages of the Champions league is crucial.

Look at your reserves and U-19s. If there are any players on hig wages you don't want to keep down there, either sell them, agree a mutual termination or release. If there are players you want to keep on high wages but are not good enough to play yet, loan them out for a % of their salary.

If you feel you have too much staff (e.g. you only want to scout a few main areas, or you have 8 physios) agree mutual terminations with them.

Other than that all you can do is sell the big-name players when you don't need them but before they go down too much in skills and/or value

The easist way is to do what you said you didn't want to. Sell your overpaid superstars and bring in players of the same standard on lower wages.

Go into the Good Players forum and find the Chelsea thread for more tips.

you should just wait for the likes of Lampard, Terry, Ballack and many others that are 30+ and bring in younger players who want less money

I got rid of Ballack and Deco in the first season, as I knew from past experience they set worse throughout the season and end up becoming 2* players the next. This also got rid of almost a quater of my wage bill. Lampard is 4* through-out the 1st, 2nd and most of the 3rd season, I have a replacement for Terry/Carvalho already aswell as Drogba.

You could build a 70,000 seater, I suppose. Curious how many Chelsea managers in game have managed to build new stadiums. At an extra 28,000 seats, figure 30 quid per between adults and kids, they'd rack up well over another 20 million quid per season, that is if they can fill them - that's assuming 19 league games and another 10 - 11 cup ties of some sort. I'm probably underestimating, as I think these top clubs usually play a total of, what, 28 home games per season? 30?

You could build a 70,000 seater, I suppose. Curious how many Chelsea managers in game have managed to build new stadiums. At an extra 28,000 seats, figure 30 quid per between adults and kids, they'd rack up well over another 20 million quid per season, that is if they can fill them - that's assuming 19 league games and another 10 - 11 cup ties of some sort. I'm probably underestimating, as I think these top clubs usually play a total of, what, 28 home games per season? 30?

Yeah, the only problem is that the 'Council block planning permission'. I ask the board at the beginning of the 1st season and they say they agree with me, and in the 2nd season the club doesn't have the money. So if I have £300m and that's not enough to re-build the stadium then the club is bankrupt, as the highest amount of money I've seen the club have is around 375m. Plus a 400m debt.

Yeah, the only problem is that the 'Council block planning permission'. I ask the board at the beginning of the 1st season and they say they agree with me, and in the 2nd season the club doesn't have the money. So if I have £300m and that's not enough to re-build the stadium then the club is bankrupt, as the highest amount of money I've seen the club have is around 375m. Plus a 400m debt.

I've been playing an online game where my mate managed Chelsea. He ALWAYS got his dept covered by the board after each season + a new huge transfer budget in the beginning of the new season, so he 'didn't really care' about the ongoing debt throughout the season. Oh yeah, he also got a new 5xxxx seat new stadium at the end of the first season. But to avoid having debt after every season it requires to clear out all the heavy waged backup/rotation players and maybe mutual terminate some of the heavy waged staff. Good luck.

I got a 65000 seater stadium as Chelsea manager in 2014. I'm now in 2023 and trying to get a new stadium again. Atm I'm still getting the "Local council will never allow planning permission due to a lack of space" so hopefully in the next 2 seasons construction on a new stadium will start. (fingers crossed)

The longest game I've had is until 2020 and Chelsea has never been a club to operate in the black. As a matter of fact, I don't eve think they have taken a nice chunk out of their debt by that point. This is with them in the CL year in and year out along with an impressive showing in the league each season.

It has taken me a lot of seasons to get us in the black. Even a wage budget of £1.7million a week was troubling, especially when you start with Stamford Bridge. First goal is to seal long term goals to cut down the wage bill, that means if you need to miss out on a big star, you just might have to. I'm currently at £1.4m/w now. (board budget allows me up to £4m/w, they're nuts!)

A new stadium will help you get an increase in gate receipts. A chunk of it will be financed with a loan but that's ok! With success will come bigger sponsorship deals, early on Man U leads the sponsorship league, but now it is Chelsea.

I even once got put into administration mid season. Only for a week, surprised RA didn't intervene, he only seems to inject money in the off season. Lost the league cause of docked points!

I've finally got over £100m in the bank, thanks to some big player sales nurture young, Man City and RM will be willing to spend big, I sold a right back to them for £27m! Barca took a newgen left back for £30m. Even above average players, if playing well, can end up being sold for good money; Eduardo Salvio to AC Milan for £26m. And as sad as I was, Edin Dzeko, legend status was still able to grab £15m at the age of 33.

It might take time, but eventually you can become a profitable business. End of my last season we had an operating profit of £6 million!

Archived