Mediocre striker to Real Madrid for £16.5 million

jonesb.jpg

This doesn't seem right, I just sold Kenwyne Jones to Real Madrid for £16.5 million over 48 months. I know monthly instalments mean you can get more money for them but this is weird. I also sold Malbranque to Man City for £11.5 million all up front.

I know it's more complicated than can be written on here but how does the AI decide that these two transfers would be good for them?

Arsenal always seem to love signing my 3rd choice keeper on every game I have played on 10 so far

I know, right? When i was Liverpool, they are literally stalking Diego Cavalieri, when i was Valencia, its Cesar, when i was Chelsea, they're after Hilario...Hilarious.

The AI is rediculous with transfers, im sorry. I had Barca paying me £13m for N'gog once.

Absurd.

It is to do with the way the squad is rated. The AI discovers its weak points and strengthens with anything. So Arsenal lack a good keeper so they try and buy a keeper for a realistic price. They cannot find a good keeper for a realistic price so they buy a bad keeper for a silly price. If that makes sense, if not its 1.14am I cant be arsed explaining :thup:

RM tend to do some very strange deals, same with Man City. I'm not sure the ai really knows what to do when it has already got the best squad possible and has so much money to burn.

It doesn't know what to do AT ALL when it's presented with a team that's got loads of cash. I remember in FM09 (or possibly FM08 though I doubt it was as early as that) I had a game where some random team in the Blue Square Premier was taken over by a tycoon so that team had lots of cash to burn...and burn the cash it certainly did - it hired some guys who perhaps were good to leading BSP level and gave each of them contracts worth £15,000 to £20,000 a week. While they were still in the BSP...and they didn't even get promoted, either.

It could be to do with DB size. When I play a small database I see the same issues but when I play with a large one it doesnt seem to happen.

Yes I always use a large database and have yet to come across any of the extreme examples mentioned. There are a few strange ones here and there and the transfer model is far from perfect.

I really feel there should be some sort of model coded into the game to improve AI squad building. For example, if a manager has 4-4-2 set as his preferred formation, he should look to have only 4 senior wingers and 4 senior strikers etc in the squad.

Although not totally realistic, it would certainly improve long term games and ensure AI managers are not blowing 20 million on a 6th winger who ends up in the reserves. Such a system would lean more towards realism than the current one.

It's not that strange really considering how much Liverpool were gonna pay for him, and how much we turned down from Spurs last year. :p

True comment Liverpool were prepared to pay 10 million and Spurs was 12 million so dont think the price is not that much over the top and not worthy of a thread.

True comment Liverpool were prepared to pay 10 million and Spurs was 12 million so dont think the price is not that much over the top and not worthy of a thread.

Since when do you decide what's worthy of a thread? If that's how you feel then just stay out of it.

Personally I found the thread useful, I now know that using a smaller database can lead to these issues, as there are less players around for teams to buy, and I now know that this can be avoided by using a larger database.

It doesn't seem as odd as you think in the game.

I am Sunderland at the moment and sold Jones to Barcelona for around £10m in the first season.

In the first 4 seasons he has played around 15 games each year and has scored over 10 goals per season too. So while his stats are not great he can obviously score plenty if used correctly.

Yes I always use a large database and have yet to come across any of the extreme examples mentioned. There are a few strange ones here and there and the transfer model is far from perfect.

I really feel there should be some sort of model coded into the game to improve AI squad building. For example, if a manager has 4-4-2 set as his preferred formation, he should look to have only 4 senior wingers and 4 senior strikers etc in the squad.

Although not totally realistic, it would certainly improve long term games and ensure AI managers are not blowing 20 million on a 6th winger who ends up in the reserves. Such a system would lean more towards realism than the current one.

I think something like this is a good idea. The one thing that spoils the realism of the game more than any other, for me, is the way you'll often get AI sides blowing wads of cash on players they then rarely use, and pay little attention to form when selecting sides: how often do you see a striker playing only five or six games a season even though he scores at a goal a game?

To be honest I have seen worse - at least Kenwyne Jones is a pretty good Premier League player - I saw AC Milan Buy Silvain Ebanks-Blake for £12.5 and others worse than that.

That's odd. Milan must really like Ebanks-Blake as they just bought him in my game. Who is their manager in your game? In mine it is Marco Van Basten. Yeah, I've seen worse players than Jones go to top teams like Barcelona. In fact, Barcelona recently bought Gekas in my game.

I haven't seen too many bad players go for bg bucks but have seen quite a few players bought without reason. Man Cit bought Mbia for 8m and he's played 0 games for them and isnow unhappy. They paid 40m for Mata + 125k per week and he's played 21 league games in 4 seasons.

I'd rather a mediocre striker for 16.5m than a terrible striker for 5m, and with the squad already at Real Madrid, I couldn't condone buying another top striker for 50 - 60m or something and then have two or three top players sitting on the bench week after week.

But I wouldn't mind having Jones on the Bench when I'm winning 2 nil and I have a champs league game coming up.

I'm sure Real are just covering their basis without upsetting the big names. If they signed another world class player it might upset the team harmony or something.

So a lowly 16.5m Jones won't upset the big stars. But decent enough cover.

I'd rather a mediocre striker for 16.5m than a terrible striker for 5m, and with the squad already at Real Madrid, I couldn't condone buying another top striker for 50 - 60m or something and then have two or three top players sitting on the bench week after week.

But I wouldn't mind having Jones on the Bench when I'm winning 2 nil and I have a champs league game coming up.

I'm sure Real are just covering their basis without upsetting the big names. If they signed another world class player it might upset the team harmony or something.

So a lowly 16.5m Jones won't upset the big stars. But decent enough cover.

You really dont know what Real Madrid is all about.. :D

I still stick by the fact that if, for some odd reason, he scored like 35 goals and got 20 assists in the EPL, goes to the Trinidad national team, guides them to the World Cup finals, or some championship, doing very well in that, he would most likely be transferred to a big club somewhere. Because after that, he wouldn't BE mediocre anymore. If that hasn't happened, well....who knows? :D

To be honest I have seen worse - at least Kenwyne Jones is a pretty good Premier League player - I saw AC Milan Buy Silvain Ebanks-Blake for £12.5 and others worse than that.

Why the hell do AC Milan keep buying ebanks blake?? I have seen a fair few other threads saying the same thing.

I think something like this is a good idea. The one thing that spoils the realism of the game more than any other, for me, is the way you'll often get AI sides blowing wads of cash on players they then rarely use, and pay little attention to form when selecting sides: how often do you see a striker playing only five or six games a season even though he scores at a goal a game?

Or this kind of thing:

nimani.jpg

I don't know if the AI is advanced enough for this kind of thing but maybe the AI manager thought he needed a striker who has good in the air (R. Madrid don't have that) and thought Zigic would be too expensive because he's playing for a league rival (Valencia).

Archived