Everton: should I buy Santa Cruz?

So, quick briefing: I am with Everton, no signings on the first window for any team, I play with 1 striker (advanced forward) most of the times.

In January, 1st season, I bought Pablo Mouche and Donovan (I added the loan, so he was already with the team).

Afterwards, Mouche performs amazingly, 19 matches, 10 goals, 6 assists, avg slightly above 7 and he ended being the signing of the season. I play him and Donovan as my main strikers, since I did not want to pay Man U the Saha league apps clause. Donovan performs solid enough.

I finish an incredible 2nd place, behind Chelsea (Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool had dreadful seasons) but no silverware. Anyway, Champions league here I go.

Offseason, I release Saha, sell Anichebe, promote Baxter and buy Guiza from Fenerbahce. So my strikers are: Mouche, Guiza, Baxter, Vaughan and Donovan (I plan to use him more in the wings this season). Also, I plan to play 2 strikers more often in my 2nd season. 25 players registered and all roles planned and accounted for.

1 week for the league to start... and Santa Cruz gets transfer listed for 3.8M eur... and only one offer for a loan, by sunderland. And I can afford it, buying or loan.

So, what to do? I have to ditch a striker for him to get in the 25. My pre-season was pretty good, morale is high, I don't know if it is worth changing things around.

I think you should get a loan-to-buy transfer to see if he plays well, fit in etc. could you loan out Vaughan or Baxter for him to get in the 25 ?

Or isn't there a rule iirc that you don't have to register anyone under 21 or is that the Champions League ?

Baxter doesn't count towards the 25 anyway, being younger than 21 (unless you assign him a number which would be stupid).

If you have 5 strikers and usually play just 1 or sometimes 2, then you don't need any more strikers. 3.8m is a bargain though, so if he is better than those you have then get him and offload another.

Baxter doesn't count towards the 25 anyway, being younger than 21 (unless you assign him a number which would be stupid).

If you have 5 strikers and usually play just 1 or sometimes 2, then you don't need any more strikers. 3.8m is a bargain though, so if he is better than those you have then get him and offload another.

Well, it is not a question of assigning numbers, but of having a balanced roster and team size, with high morale and no unsatisfied (for not playing) players. It is irrelevant if Baxter has a number or not, what is important is that I want to develop him and give him play time.

The questions is, like you said, i have 5 strikers, so i need no more. So, to have the Santa Cruz bargain, he has to be better than someone and someone has to go. Is that possible, in my scenario:

1 - Mouche? (best signing on the previous season, best striker on pre-season friendlies)

2 - Donovan? (he covers many other positions in my team and one could argue his value with Santa Cruz)

3 - Baxter? (I want to keep and develop him, so no question here)

4 - Guiza? (... I just bought him, the real problem would be waste of resources. Can I sell him for a good price already, without any official match?)

5 - Vaughan? (Is it reasonable replacing Vaughan with Santa Cruz in terms of salary, morale, competition for places? isn't it overkill to have Santa Cruz, Guiza, Mouche and Baxter fighting for 1 place?)

My question is more than just a 'good player' issue. It is a management dilemma. Just curious on the opinions :)

1. Proven striker, arguably your number 1 striker. So no.

2. Can cover more than just striker, so no.

3. You don't want rid of him, I wouldn't suggest it either.

4. You may struggle to get rid of him due to him not wanting to move again, possibly could be seen as unfair treatment by other players. So I'd say no.

5. Unless you can get enough money to cover the cost of RSC (transfer fee and wages) and still make a decent profit, I'd say stick with the youngster.

So, IMO you'd be best leaving it, maybe re-evaluate in January, see if he is still available and see how your strikers are doing.

You could take him on loan if Sunderland are the only team bidding that way you can see if you use him or if he is any good.

If you loan then include a future fee. I find teams accept more if they think they have a chance of getting rid at the end of the season. Its good for you aswell because you have a fee you can guarantee will be accepted and if it doesnt work out you dont have to make the bid :thup:

Well, it is not a question of assigning numbers, but of having a balanced roster and team size, with high morale and no unsatisfied (for not playing) players. It is irrelevant if Baxter has a number or not, what is important is that I want to develop him and give him play time.

The questions is, like you said, i have 5 strikers, so i need no more. So, to have the Santa Cruz bargain, he has to be better than someone and someone has to go. Is that possible, in my scenario:

1 - Mouche? (best signing on the previous season, best striker on pre-season friendlies)

2 - Donovan? (he covers many other positions in my team and one could argue his value with Santa Cruz)

3 - Baxter? (I want to keep and develop him, so no question here)

4 - Guiza? (... I just bought him, the real problem would be waste of resources. Can I sell him for a good price already, without any official match?)

5 - Vaughan? (Is it reasonable replacing Vaughan with Santa Cruz in terms of salary, morale, competition for places? isn't it overkill to have Santa Cruz, Guiza, Mouche and Baxter fighting for 1 place?)

My question is more than just a 'good player' issue. It is a management dilemma. Just curious on the opinions :)

After reading this I would say don't sign him.

IIRC you can only sell Guiza again in the January transfer window as he will refuse any other offer now due to having just arrived. Also I think you would hardly get any offers for him now due to that.

Archived