I understand there is alot of talk about Football Manager coming to iPhone and iPod Touch, but has anyone thought about the possibility of an iPad version of the game?

I can understand the hesitance with the iPhone. I've tried a couple of management sims for the device and there are too many limitations, not least because of the lack of screen real estate. However, at 9.7 inches and with technically more powerful hardware at it's disposal, has anyone at SI HQ considered the possibility of bringing FM to the iPad?

Naturally, nobody would expect the full FM experience to be replicated, but the extra screen space would certainly allow for more room than the PSP version at least, for example. Add in the touch interface etc and FM on the iPad could be a real winner..

Just wondering if anybody else would be behind this and whether it has been at least discussed at SI?

• SI Staff

Hi,

Its still very early days for the iPad - BUT I do like the idea of the device and personally have one on order (should in theory get it in about 5 days time).

As far as making a version of FMH/FM for it goes - in theory its possible BUT do please bear in mind that applications on the device have to support both aspect ratios which means effectively we'd have to create twice as many screen layouts to make an iPad game as we would for any other device (increasing the associated development and testing costs etc. considerably).

Have Fun,

Marc

You liking the iPad then, Marc?

I'm currently waiting on UK pricing and pre-order information.. which is annoyingly absent. I'm also hoping that in the meantime, you spend so much time with the iPad that you realise you simply must make an FM version for it.. ;)

• SI Staff
You liking the iPad then, Marc?

Its quite funky - still getting used to it in the main although the Marvel comic purchasing on it could seriously deplete my bank account if I'm not careful (its horribly setup - as soon as you finish a comic the link to buy the next in the series pops up - this is seriously testing my will power).

I'm currently waiting on UK pricing and pre-order information.. which is annoyingly absent. I'm also hoping that in the meantime, you spend so much time with the iPad that you realise you simply must make an FM version for it.. ;)

LOL :D

• SI Staff
I'm not much of a comic reader but will probably find myself becoming one simply because the app itself looks so smart..

Don't underestimate the allure of comics, there are many out there which are actually very well written with quite deep story lines ... a lot of modern movies are based upon graphic novels/comics.

Also Bragenca, I'd pee my pants if the iPad turns out to be £309 but can't see it!

I'd have thought it'd be around that price as its $499 over here.

• SI Staff
Marc, just remember that your wife needs love too ;). The iPad cannot take it all from you.

Heh - don't worry I'm a good little hubby, heck I even delayed opening the iPad package by 5 hours or so because I took my wife and our youngest to the beach yesterday when it arrived :D

Do you really have to support both aspect ratios? Is it not possible just to make the game work in landscape mode or won't apple allow that? I have no idea how difficult it is to develop FM for the iPad, but wouldn't it be possible to do the same thing that you did to the PSP? Well it would be awesome to play a stripped down version on the iPad(or the full version!), especially multiplayer with some friends... I'm drooling just by the tought of that!

That would definitely be a "Killer App"... :D

• SI Staff
Do you really have to support both aspect ratios? Is it not possible just to make the game work in landscape mode or won't apple allow that? I have no idea how difficult it is to develop FM for the iPad, but wouldn't it be possible to do the same thing that you did to the PSP? Well it would be awesome to play a stripped down version on the iPad(or the full version!), especially multiplayer with some friends... I'm drooling just by the tought of that!

That would definitely be a "Killer App"... :D

It appears from the first apps released that Apple may indeed have relented on supporting both aspect ratios which is sensible imho as some apps just naturally suit one ratio or another.

As for whether a version of FM ever appears on the iPad - time will tell, I'd love to do something ... but there are only so many hours in the day ;)

It's completely irrelevant in many ways. Consumers speak with their wallets, and thats the most important thing in business.

Look at the success of the FIFA games from 2000-2003 - they still sold very well despite not offering the most complete experience. Shiny works well.

I'm legitimately surprised SI haven't made some kind of move onto OS X mobile, especially given the iPad and iPhone 3GS share similarities in terms of the hardware available to them (namely RAM).

they are facts

No Flash ( means 90% of the pages don't work properly )

No USB

No Printing Functionality

Wireless is weak and slow even compared with the iphone

No proper document importation ( due to some styles limitation)

Its too big to consider it an hand-held device

No multi task

Heavy

these are proven facts

Heavy is an opinion, heavy to you may be light to a bodybuilder.

Wireless is weak is also an opinion as it is based on what is considered weak to a person.

Some are opinions presented as facts, watch out for that ;).

Sure all non biased reviewers mentioned its a bit heavy sure its only a matter of perspective

:rolleyes::rolleyes::

also this

Ok. I used speedtest.net app both on iPhone 3GS and the new iPad. I clearly see the difference.

iPad download speed is 1.83 megabits/sec whereas

iPhone 3GS download speed is 14.77 megabits/sec

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2387493&start=0&tstart=0

complains about slow speeds and low reception quality

:rolleyes:

• SI Staff
they are facts

No USB

No multi task

Heavy

these are proven facts

(just to try and give a balance to the prior post - I don't want to take sides in a gadget is cool arguement but I do want the information here to be balanced)

They are proven 'facts' - but its also entirely possible that they may be irrelevant to the target audience for the device.

Ignoring the fact that the spurious '90%' claim is obviously incorrect (flash heavy websites are rare these days) in the main this only affects a section of users who want to play either 'flash games' or videos/animations on specific sites.

As such this isn't particularly a 'killer' imho - I've been using my iPad since last saturday and have only noticed a couple of items on one site not render correctly.

No USB

Apple devices are notoriously closed shops - this isn't anything new and doesn't appear to have particularly hurt the iPhone.

Apple themselves are offering a keyboard which is the most common item which people would plug in via. USB I'd expect anyway.

(and no its unlikely Apple will ever open it up to USB flash cards as it'd be an easy entry point for hacking; I don't see this as a huge restriction as you can email on the device or upload to 3rd party servers etc.)

This will be rectified in the near future I'm sure - heck if I had the spare time I'd have written a combined word-processor/driver for my wireless HP printer and put it up for people.

No actually it isn't, I've seen some reports of people who've had issues with their devices but normal properly functioning iPads work very nicely wirelessly - I've definitely had no issues in this regard with mine (this includes downloading a 4.1Gb HD movie :D).

Not tried this enough to be able to comment (just viewed a couple of items which were emailed to me which isn't a particularly comprehensive test) - but I'd expect its probably on a par with Mac - PC importing of documentation (ie. its possible but not perfect).

Its very different size-wise to an iPhone or PSP for sure - but its definitely portable which is what its being sold as, I see it as a coffee table device myself - I pick it up and put it down in the same way as I might have a magazine in the past.

The fact you don't consider it 'hand held' has no bearing as to whether its fit for its intended purchase; my car isn't handheld either - but works fairly well .... although the mpg is blooming awful ;)

No multi task

This is something which many people 'cry out' for yet in practice it not having it is actually an advantage in many ways, your average non-techy consumer doesn't really understand memory usage or anything along those lines and so avoiding multi-tasking is an easy way of ensuring they don't break things by continually opening lots and lots of applications at once.

Or to look at things another way - consider how restrictive most games consoles are with multi-tasking; its for exactly the same reason they allow it of programs they have full control of (normally their OS related items and their own apps) but anything else runs in a sandbox on its own.

Heavy

it might just be my (cough) enormous muscles - but I haven't found it particularly heavy myself in use.

It should also be noted that the standard case which it comes with is designed to allow people to put it down and have it angled at an optimal viewing position without holding it - I've no idea if this works well or not incidentally as I don't have the case at present (but I think the design for it looks interesting).

To add my bit... Im sure I saw somewhere (pick me up on this! haha) That Steve Jobs said its likely to be a direct dollar to sterling conversion due to the cost of dealing in the UK?

I might pick up a low end model, But with the cost of my car mods that comes first!

(+ would love a FM iPad version!)

As far as making a version of FMH/FM for it goes - in theory its possible BUT do please bear in mind that applications on the device have to support both aspect ratios which means effectively we'd have to create twice as many screen layouts to make an iPad game as we would for any other device (increasing the associated development and testing costs etc. considerably).

Well sure, but you would probably make more money as people would either buy the game for two platforms (like me, iPad and mac) or at least one and if so, the iPad broadens the market.

I would love a version where your games are saved to an online server automatically which would make the game playable on both iPad and [computer] just by (automatically) downloading the saved file.

What about this:

- You start the game and log in as your gamer profile (maybe the same as on this forum?)

- When the game is saved it is saved locally to be safe, but also automatically to a server.

- When you load the game next time it will automatically try to connect to the server. If not possible (if there's no wifi or something) the game prompts you

"FM could not connect to the Saved Games Server. You can still load the game that is saved locally, but this might not be the most recent save if FM is used on multiple devices. Do you want to load the locally saved file?"

- Of course, to save on your precious dataplan, you can turn off "Automatically save to Saved Games Server" on both [computer] and iPad.

And what's great about it all is that the game actually could look THE SAME on both devices.

I promise you that I'd buy it for both platforms and I'm not alone on this.

I had a play around with one this evening, and for the love of God, stop buggering around with Sony and just get into the App Store as quick as possible.

I wasn't expecting it to be just as...good as it actually was. I don't know if "good" is still the right word to use, there are shortcomings till kingdom come on the device, but sat on the sofa infront of the golf just messing around with it, it finally made a lot of sense as a device.

Personally, is this the end of my beloved MBP? Likely, not (might switch it for an iMac), but as a general consumption device, it really nails things on the head.

Well, it is coming to iPhone tonight, so wouldn't be surprised.

As Apple has demonstrated with other games, the iPhone version should work on the iPad anyway. The only issue will be the resolution difference. Most app developers have made minor updates to allow for this, although with a text based game you'd want to do a lot more optimising to take into account the ability to display more info clearly.

Well, it is coming to iPhone tonight, so wouldn't be surprised.

Yep, I thought of this thread as soon as I saw that.

You sneaky buggers, SI!

I know it will technically be possible to play FM on the iPad by 2x the resolution, but I still think the iPad is crying out for it's own specific app. Come on guys, if you can fit this onto just over 3 inches, 9.7 will be fantastic!

I am absolutely sure in my mind that we will see a FMH iPad version. There are so many posibilities and the bigger screen means everything! Some of the(almost the only) criticism of FMH to the iPhone was that the screen was too small and the iPad would fix that problem. You can do so much more on a bigger screen...

My guess is that SI are working on a FMH iPad version, so they can release it when the iPad hits Europe... :)

Cause THAT would be a Killer App for the iPad...

• SI Staff

Incidentally just to confirm FMH iPhone works on the iPad and actually a LOT more nicely than I initially expected .... not that I'm biased or anything but it actually looks quite nice scaled up :D

• SI Staff
I want one

What a palm tree? ;)

PS - the on 'iPad' image is very clear and usable (although the photo from my iPhone doesn't show it off particularly fantastically) - all the text is readable and I played the game for a couple of hours late last night on the iPad while waiting for the game to show up in the US store without any issues at all :D

• SI Staff
So what is your favourite iPad APP so far? Or even better, whats your favourite few?

My favourite application (outside of FMH iPhone of course ;) ) is probably the Marvel Comic book store - sad but true, be warned if you like graphic novels/comics you might find it tests your will power on a regular basis.

I'm also loving the Kindle application on it as one of the main reasons I bought the iPad was to allow me to bring my technical reference books to England when I visit SI Towers without breaking my back (carrying 5 large programming books takes up a lot of space and weight)

PS - Oh and Fieldrunners on it looks bloody amazing graphically really darn cute :D

Archived