Irritating Flaw In Game....

Right this has bothered me for ages, but never thought to mention as i thought it was nothing until i started recording the stats on this flaw.

It seems, when the opposition is on the attack, and i go to change tactics, i.e click "tactics" to make a sub, they opposition score immediatly on clicking the tactics button.

This isnt something that happens every now and then, im fifteen games into my season, with it happening in 8 of those games,

the most irritating one, being away to aston villa, im hammering them, its 0-0, i go to bring on another striker, and they score when i click the tactics button,

its happening far to often to be a coincidence, its clearly a bug/flaw.

Right this has bothered me for ages, but never thought to mention as i thought it was nothing until i started recording the stats on this flaw.

It seems, when the opposition is on the attack, and i go to change tactics, i.e click "tactics" to make a sub, they opposition score immediatly on clicking the tactics button.

This isnt something that happens every now and then, im fifteen games into my season, with it happening in 8 of those games,

the most irritating one, being away to aston villa, im hammering them, its 0-0, i go to bring on another striker, and they score when i click the tactics button,

its happening far to often to be a coincidence, its clearly a bug/flaw.

its not though as ive never had the OI score when i click the tactics button, :confused:

Conspiracy theory :thdn:

The sample size of this scientific piece is a joke.

In the first place I wouldn't quit the TV screen to tactics when a highlight is on anyway.

Then doing that doesn't change anything in te highlight. The content of that has been calculated and predetermined after the last time you made changes. This is how the game works, no way of your theory being remotely close to true.

Actually, it might rather hint at your good feeling that something is going wrong when you regularly notice the need for a change when the opponents are coming closer to your goal. Now you just have to notice it that a tad earlier even ;)

it seems strange with it happening in over 50% of games, im going to record it for this season and see how it pans out.

Just hit pause and you will notice that after you changed your tactics, the opposition attack will go on and eventually if they outplay you they score.

it seems strange with it happening in over 50% of games, im going to record it for this season and see how it pans out.

Mate iv noticed that, thought it might have just been me!

I never make a substituitionon an oppositions attack as like you say, soon as you hit the tactics screen stey sumtimes seem to score out of nothing..

But saying that it sometimes happens to me... I think it may be a good thing to make a change on an attack :D

I have had this happen so many times its beyond coincidence. I made a thread in the bugs forum and was told its just coincidence. Maybe its just an often coincidence that happens lots of times to lots of people.

I have start to try and make subs when I'm on the ball but they can still end up scoring. The little screen on the tactics page showing the pitch sometimes goes into hyperdrive until they score.

Sometimes its better to not press the tactics button. Especially if the opposition 'needs' a goal.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=182044

That's the thread I put in the bugs forum.

I don't believe the ME is exactly the same. Something about the speed at which it processes stuff compared to watching the full game.

On last years if I sat through the whole game I would never see any first minute and last minute goals but if I played with text only I would always see first minute and last minute goals.

Another coincidence that happened all the time nearly.

That is one of the reasons Experienced, I pause the game when making subs or tactical changes.

The scores stop when making sub or tactical changes.

It is one of those things I prefer automatic stop when making subs or tactical changes like it happen before FM08 decided to put this "idiotic feature" (of course it is my own opinion) of the clock continue counting as you make the subs.

Coincidence is often a word used on this forum. Maybe that's just a coincidence.

If many people are having the same coincidences lots of the time when does that stop it from being a coincidence and turning into a probable.

I have tried the pausing thing, it doesnt work. When I unpause the match engine will stll speed up to give them their goal.

Was apparant in 09 also. Happens quite a lot, even when i do pause to make tactical changes. Seems my players begin to play differently at times, as i'm waiting for my opponent to apply my tactical changes for me. Seems way to convenient at times. But I have scored plenty of goals myself. Who is to say they weren't scored while the AI was waiting to change it's tactics.

Also my players seem to clear silly balls to touch when leading late in games to which the AI instantly changes it's tactics. Gets sick of waiting for my tactics to cost me possession and just makes it happen anyway. Look plain and simple all games need catch up logic, or they would far to easy. Catch up logic is in every game ever created.

These things annoy me yes, but without them the game would be a little to easy. 07 ring a bell for anyone. Take it easy they do try thier best. Just a very difficult task.

When it happens to me I'm text only. It won't happen if I watch the full 2d match. But switching from text to 2d during a game can have the same effect and a goal will be scored.

On last years it was so bad I had to watch the whole 2d match, it was the only way I could win an away game. I made a thread about that 2 but I got told it was coincidence.

I can't sit through whole 2d games all the time just to make sure the AI doesnt start giving it self goals when it feels like, it takes to long and I get bored. I'm from the text only generation anyway.

In FM07 if i took my hand and hold them over the keyboard and shaked the keys without pressing them..

50% of the time i scored... Was it a Coincidence? or was it a flaw in FM? *lolz* seriously..

Just a Coincidence.

This needs to be more scientific - how many people who believe they are experiencing this problem watch commentary only and how many watch 3d and how many watch 2d?

You won't get a scientific assessment in this thread - it's a muppet magnet. Sensible players will stay away.

FM07, isn't easy.

It depends which team you control and what leagues. I find very well balanced ME, then any of later games. It is game that actually you need to beat the opposing team, instead of beating the ME, which is the most unrealistic thing i find in later games. It is also has an ME that you play with the tactics you want, without any restriction and if you use the right players you can have much success, and you can put Barcelona playing like real Barcelona and Arsenal like real Arsenal.

To be honest a lot of people can understand a lot about football and us FMers are in that group, but to be honest we are simple football fans and don't begin to grasp that vast complications that is to manage real team, with real people, who have complex personalities, where you have to deal with complex presidents or owners of the clubs and their staff. But also the stress in field and of it, to deal with any in team clashes, to deal with the attacks of the media and fans and all of that.

Sure many of you could say that is part of football, then you should consider that mafias, corruption, drugs, players cheating on other players wife, hooliganism, scandals and so on. Then you will have the most realistic game ever made. That is day I will walk away from this game as like I walk away from Command & Conquer games, because the idiotic people that make the game decided to screw that series, making the most idiotic and horrible game i ever saw. Yes, game industry can F*** it up pretty badly as they begin to think making more money then giving the game that consumers want.

All of those things I say, can create stress and make the game look nice as first glance (like Press Conferences) and in long run, people start to hate it and creating more stress and removes the fun out of the game.

Si need to rethink how they put the features in game and question if the said new feature bring new dimension to the fun or will it cause, stress and hate that make people put the game on shelve and risk loosing consumers? Personally I will never buy any Command and Conquer game, because the last game was plainly an insult.

And if this can happen to game, it can happen to FM, Fifa, Fifa Manager, CM and so on, it can happen to SI, like it happen to them with CM4. So SI need to over think and explore the features, then for just putting for the sake of new feature to earn a few more pounds.

Ah, the old tactics button curse. This used to happen to a friend of mine back on CM01/02, but it doesn't happen any more as you simply press pause before pressing tactics.

Also I like the bit where you say you are hammering Aston Villa 0-0. How is that a hammering??

There's absolutely no way this can happen, simply because of the way the match engine is built. The entire match is precalculated and you are effectively just watching a replay of it. When you change tactics, you get the 'making changes' (or whatever it says) appear in the commentary bar and the remainder of the match is recalculated with your changes in place. At the point when you click the tactics button, the match cannot be altered in any way until it has been recalculated so what happens between your click and the recalculation would have happened whether you clicked tactics or not.

It's simply a matter of coincidence, combined with selective memory - i.e. you remember the 3 or 4 times it happened, and forget the 30 times it didn't. Add to that the fact that in a lot of cases, you are going into to tactics to fix a problem with your team, which inherently means that the opposition are more likely to score at this point.

There's absolutely no way this can happen, simply because of the way the match engine is built. The entire match is precalculated and you are effectively just watching a replay of it. When you change tactics, you get the 'making changes' (or whatever it says) appear in the commentary bar and the remainder of the match is recalculated with your changes in place. At the point when you click the tactics button, the match cannot be altered in any way until it has been recalculated so what happens between your click and the recalculation would have happened whether you clicked tactics or not.

It's simply a matter of coincidence, combined with selective memory - i.e. you remember the 3 or 4 times it happened, and forget the 30 times it didn't. Add to that the fact that in a lot of cases, you are going into to tactics to fix a problem with your team, which inherently means that the opposition are more likely to score at this point.

This is absolutely spot on.

I can't believe this gets regurgitated week after week. And some people still take it serious and think it happens :confused:

Thats not true or the exact same thing would happen everytime you replay a match until you change something.

The game decides who is most likely to win at the start and then things can change from then onwards, from teamtalks, tactics, to player selection, subs, to injurys, sendings off and so on.

The game does not decide you already won or lost before it even kicks off, or that you will win or lose unless you change something. It only decides if your more likely to.

Someone who has seen this happen lots should find a game where it happened, replay it but making subs at different times and see how many times a goal gets scored as he makes a sub.

Depending on the situation my guess is it will happen more than 1 in 3 times.

One of the biggest conspiracys in all of FM's :cool:

IT ALWAYS COMES BACK!

If it always comes back that should tell people its not a conspiracy. If so many people experiance it.

I must have missed the free fanboy goggles with my copy of the game. I didn't realise so many people will dismiss what is obviously a common problem for many people just because it's a negative about their much loved game.

I remember all the crash dump threads. It never happened to me so I guess all those people made it up. A conspiracy theory to try and bring down my perfect game.

I must have missed the free fanboy goggles with my copy of the game. I didn't realise so many people will dismiss what is obviously a common problem for many people just because it's a negative about their much loved game.

Welcome to the official SI forums :D Have a nice stay!

Welcome to the official SI forums :D Have a nice stay!

Its the same on all game forums. That's my mistake, I'm willing to discuss game flaws that I can see when I should be just saying how perfect they are.

Its the same on all game forums. That's my mistake, I'm willing to discuss game flaws that I can see when I should be just saying how perfect they are.

Yeah you should know better! We are fanboys, we are keyboard heroes, we are anonymous - we are LEGION :D

Besides it does not matter how well you defend your cause or show a flaw - there are some things that people can't accept as true. Why try to help make the game better? It's perfect as it is! :p

Yep, I've seen it too. Commentary says so-and-so dribbles down the left wing, I pause the game, make some tactical changes, went back to the game and scored changed.

I think part of it has to do with how the highlights/commentary work, they aren't "live". The ME has to decide that something interesting happen first, like a goal or shot before it generates highlights. And I think it gets buggy if you change tactics at the very same time.

Thats not true or the exact same thing would happen everytime you replay a match until you change something.

Nope. There is a random element in there which prevents this from being the case. But apart from that bigdunc is exactly right in his description of how the match engine works. It does not calculate things on the fly so it is actually impossible for it to make the AI score simply because you've gone into the tactics screen.

I repeat, it is not possible. And I'm usually pretty critical of the game so you can stick your fanboy claims up your ass. Really boils my blood when people roll that one out whenever people who kow what they're talking about actually have the nerve to disagree with them.

I repeat, it is not possible. And I'm usually pretty critical of the game so you can stick your fanboy claims up your ass. Really boils my blood when people roll that one out whenever people who kow what they're talking about actually have the nerve to disagree with them.

I'd watch my language if I were you boy. I was talking in general not this case here. On topic - the click actually can't change anything it's true. The highlight is predetermined to be a goal or not so its irrelevant what you click.

Lol, I always feel like avoiding to score goals when on the tactics-screen. Anyway, in fact there should be less goals when you are on the tactics screen because the game just goes on without skipping the uninteresting parts (for those who watch key highlights).

I'd watch my language if I were you boy. I was talking in general not this case here. On topic - the click actually can't change anything it's true. The highlight is predetermined to be a goal or not so its irrelevant what you click.

Are you a moderator sunshine? Didn't think so.

If you were talking in general rather than in relation to this topic then you're clearly a bit of a numpty then, particularly as you've gone on to agree that this cannot happen. So what is fanboy like about trying to explain to someone why something actually can't happen?

Please enlighten me.

Well it happens regardless of whether some people who think they know say it can't be possible.

I don't know what causes it, switching from text to 2d, certain computers not processing data the same way and not handling the switch or what. 2 many people have the same problem.

But thats all I'm saying about it because theres always someone who knows better who doesnt have the problem so therefore it can't exist.

He is nowhere right. If its a predetermined replay I'm basically watching, but in the first second I move my goalkeeper into midfield. Almost every shot will go in. It would end up being double figures. How can the game precalculate that?? It doesn't.

Did you actually read the explaination?

It's calculated and shown back to you right up to the point where you commit any kind of tactical change. So at the point where you move your keeper into midfield you'll see 'setting up match' or 'processing' (whichever it does after a tactical change is applied). At this point it re-calculates what will happen for the rest of the half and then plays it back to you.

It does nothing on the fly so it makes no difference to anything whether you go into the tactics screen. Only once the changes are committed and it re-processes everything does anything happen that hasn't already been calculated.

I use text only and as you say sometimes the opposition do score when you click on the tactics button but i can't say it happens to me over 50% of the time. After you have done a season experimenting with the way you normally play you could play a season where you pause when making changes to your tactics and see if theres a lower percentage in the goals you concede.

I can't honestly believe what I'm reading. Phenompen was right, this is a muppet magnet.

Where's dafuge when you need him, he explains this thing so well. Mind you thats probably because he's had to do so about a 1000 times, due to people who really should know better being convinced there is a conspiracy, or that my denial of this thing is because of my 'fanboy goggles'. Its got eff all to do with that(I can't seem to find them right now ;) ), the reason I denounce and deny this is because it is simply not true.

You press play, the game is calculating stuff and showing you the highlights, when you make a change be it subs or whatever, the game recalculates and shows you what is happening. Then you make another change, it recalculates and shows you more highlights. By pressing the tactics button you are doing nothing more than getting ready to make a change and this does not affect what is happening until you've made your change and pressed confirm. Chances are you need to make a change because the oppo is on top, therefore the likelihood of them scoring while you are setting changes is there because you are under the cosh, not because you've pressed the tactics button!!

Ok, is that clear enough. If you still don't get it, you never will. If thats the case, then I'd bet you think the world is still flat and that evolution is not true.

Archived