Portsmouth!! I could have saved you!! WHY OH WHY!!

In my latest game, have just resigned from Middlesbrough after taking them up to the Prem and giving them a good base to survive. I decided to take my skills to a club who could do with "sorting out".

I noticed Portsmouth were struggling in the Championship and thought....yeah why not!

So I applied for the vacant position....they rejected me and gave it to an unknown Icelander. I have actually ended up in Spain, with Sevilla turning them from a mid table struggle, win 1, lose 1 team, into a side pushing for the Champions League.

So how come a side like Sevilla could see my potential to turn the side around, yet Portsmouth couldn't?

Sevilla have a continental rep, whereas Portsmouth have a national one? So it cant be that I wasn't qualified enough, is it possible to be seen by a board as "over qualified"?

I think it's to do with wages and reputation. On my Betis save, having taken them to the nr.1 spot in europe I noticed villa had been relegated to the championship with a financial situation set to 'in debt', I resigned from my Betis job and said I was interested in the Villa job. They hired someone else. Considering my £70k/week wage and my world class reputation, I guess they figured they couldn't afford me! 6 months later they hired me!

I did manage to save them! Got them promoted then got £10m in pre-season gate receipts!! Then got into Europe!!

I would say it is more to do with the perceived wage demands, seeing as how you were a Prem manager and they were struggling in the Championship they may have thought you would have wanted the money you were getting at Boro (funny that the in game money means nothing :p)

I left a prem team with a world class rep and applied for a non league club straight after and got the job so I don't think it is perceived wage demands.

Maybe they just thought he would be the better man for the job.

I left a prem team with a world class rep and applied for a non league club straight after and got the job so I don't think it is perceived wage demands.

Maybe they just thought he would be the better man for the job.

yeh i did same to from champions league winning club to league 2 side

I think this has been touched before that when you approach clubs you should put your wage demands and budget to work with you are willing to work under.

I also think you could but down the style you play your ambitions short term and long term basically this being your interview.

They then have AI managers do the same and the chairman then pick suitable candidate.

No suitable candidate they have decision go out approach, promote within ie give caretaker job or keep things as they are re-apply post later.

This way the game approach to hiring much better you could talk yourselves into or out the job.

Personal expectations would be then scrutinised to see if you achieve your aims.

I think this has been touched before that when you approach clubs you should put your wage demands and budget to work with you are willing to work under.

I also think you could but down the style you play your ambitions short term and long term basically this being your interview.

They then have AI managers do the same and the chairman then pick suitable candidate.

No suitable candidate they have decision go out approach, promote within ie give caretaker job or keep things as they are re-apply post later.

This way the game approach to hiring much better you could talk yourselves into or out the job.

Personal expectations would be then scrutinised to see if you achieve your aims.

I remember reading a post which mentioned this idea and i like it. It would add some realism to the process and be fun too.

Archived