Have these forums brought your enjoyment of FM down?

When I got my first FM, 07 I think it was, I managed to enjoy that game an incredible amount.

Since then, I have joined these forums and started reading the bug threads here, and suddenly my game doesn't feel perfect anymore. All these bugs that are discussed in GD, I'd have never noticed had I not been here, but now I am seeing all these errors and it does affect my enjoyment.

Just wondering whether it's the same for anyone else here, or maybe that enjoy the game more due to these forums

Guest leedsUnited-Beckford

it doesnt rreall scare me the bugs. as long as you have the latest patch you should be ok just eep loving the game mate that alli can say

I can understand where you are coming from but personally I don't think the forums have brought down my joy of the game. It can get a bit annoying reading about bugs and then noticing them. If anything though these forums have increased my enjoyment of the game the good players and team forum has some very helpful users keen to give advice and to chat to about the game to.

I'll be honest - when you read "the game is broken" one in every five threads, you learn to just block the forums out.

I think the key is what you think of the game. You shouldn't allow what you read to affect your opinion on the game.

Nine times out of ten, the moans on here aren't bugs - hence the immortal "it's your tactics" response!

One last try:

I do enjoy these forums. I wouldn't have so many posts if I didn't. And, in some ways, this place has kept me into FM, but when I see the bugs talked about in these forums, I immediately start noticing them, which gets frustrating. Whether it has brought my enjoyment down, I guess I will never know as I don't know how I would have played the game if I wasn't signed up to here.

I agree with you Peter, although the game is still among the best I've ever played, I analyse way too much nowadays thanks to the forums. Not always a bad thing, but with my first FM, which was '07, I didn't do much in-depth tactic making, I didn't make training schedules, I barely thought about who I was buying, and whether I could get someone for cheaper, etc etc. These forums have changed the way I play the game in almost every way.

But it's still awesome.

LeedsUnited-Beckford

Please read the posts carefully, you're totally misinterpreting Peter.

I can understand where you are coming from but personally I don't think the forums have brought down my joy of the game. It can get a bit annoying reading about bugs and then noticing them. If anything though these forums have increased my enjoyment of the game the good players and team forum has some very helpful users keen to give advice and to chat to about the game to.

Was going to post pretty much this, while I do agree that to an extent 'ignorance is bliss' with regards to bugs in the game I feel that joining these forums has enhanced my enjoyment of the game through having a platform to discuss my latest managerial exploits in the GPTG and gaining access to some fantastic user made custom content like skins, Superbladesman's English leagues edit etc, that I would never have known about if it wasn't for the forums.

seeing all the bugs and problems posted definitely puts a downer on things, but the flip side of it being places like the GPTG, where you can find some absolute gems, or the editors hideaway where you can play some great edits which you wouldn't be able to without the forums. Swings and roundabouts imo

I try not pay that much attention to any thread in the GD with Bug in the title or OP, and I stay clear of the bugs forum.

That way I know as little about any bugs as possible, so I have no idea what to look out for in game. Thats why if I post " I haven't noticed it in my game" I mean it and I don't go out of my way to try and notice it.

Out of sight, out of mind :thup:

I can see your point, and to an extent I agree slightly. There are some things that I would never have known about and would never have bothered me. But these forums have also helped me get more from the game in other ways, I'd never have known about different skins (although FM10 isn't a hot bed of quality skinning IMHO).

Since I joined these forums the level of actual discussion on GD has declined dramatically, but the other forums (GPTG being my main hang out) still have a lot to offer.

I don't think I'd spend half the time on the game as I do without the forums, in fact I may have stopped playing completely a few years ago.

Sharing my experiences on the game have taken my games to a completely different level, there's no way I'd have done half the stuff on the game without the forums.

I don't think I'd spend half the time on the game as I do without the forums, in fact I may have stopped playing completely a few years ago.

Sharing my experiences on the game have taken my games to a completely different level, there's no way I'd have done half the stuff on the game without the forums.

:thup::thup::thup::thup:

i think the forums add to the game, i like seeing how a team i have done well is doing with other players, and also seeing players that i have brought in that do well with other teams.

On one hand, the forums have changed the way that I have looked at the game and for a while it hurt my enjoyment of the game. But after that initial baptism of fire, I began to enjoy the game more than when I first started playing and new nothing about tactics.

Sorta like dafuge said, because of the frustration trying to implement the stuff Ive read, according to my own philosophies, I quit playing FM for a good while. But Im back now and Ive been doing well and have been having a looooooot of fun.

To the OP: I know how you feel about constantly reading about bugs. You generally never notice something until its presence is shown to you by another person. The only thing I say to you is that nothing is perfect and when you ignore its shortcomings, there are still many things about this game that brings joy to people across the globe. Also, I think its safe to say that when you look at the market for football management games, you wont find anything better than this.

Oh and peter, maybe you enjoy it less because you are older...

Since the question asks about forums (plural), the answer is NO. A certain inane poster in this thread is an example of how far the quality of posting has fallen in GQ lately. However, the real quality if in the Tactics&Training, Skinning&Graphics and Editor's Hideaway forums, where genuinely intelligent fans share invaluable contributions. The likes of superbladesman (editor), wwfan (tactics), SFraser (training) have massively deepened my appreciation and enjoyment of this fabulously complex game. I hear what you say about the patches and I've taken on board threads here - but in a different way. I was never unhappy with any issues in 10.1, so with all the complaints about 10.2 and 10.3 (I think - haven't paid much attention to the last one) I simply decided to ignore the patches and stick with what I've got. Even when they're 'pointed out', I haven't noticed any of these 'game-breaker bugs' in my game anyway.

I think that its mixed for me, on some things the forums have enhanched my enjoyment of FM by learning how to play the game, create tactics and training etc. But on other aspects it has slightly hampered it, like discovering that my winning tactics had actually been exploiting a corner bug (and leading me to many an angry hour re-tweaking my tactics), or reading about a goal machine or top GK that you just can't help but sign then feel slightly 'dirty' as its not your discovery.

I am glued to these forums as much as I am FM.

But I totally understand what you are saying! When you read about a bug in GD, when it appears in your game.. you think, 'I wouldn't of noticed that if I hadn't read GD thread about it'. But then on the other hand, what dafuge said is also a major part, I almost enjoy playing FM as much as I do talking about it with the people in here and in GPTG. With me keep posting updates, reading others and everything just makes you want to play it more.

The bit I like about the forums is when someone posts something about the game that the vast majority of people have never noticed or never seen. I think the original spots of the April Fools pranks were good examples of this, as were the posts showing that building work at their new stadiums had been delayed by load bangs.

My enjoyment has bring down little, but mainly the lack of respect by some users, that seems to attack anyone that has not enjoy the game as much as before.

I do hope that people get more conscious about this and can have proper discussion without the ego comparison of some threads done by some users.

yes dude i completly agree with you there were bugs i never found out on every fm and enjoyed it massivly joined the forum this season had least fun and although there are some other great fmers with great knowledge and sense of humor there are a few right ******* who are on here all the time and you can never strike a laid back intelectual discussion about the game we love

Well I wouldn't say the quality of these forums is all that great of late. I am fed up of a definite lack of quality in posts here. There rarely seems to be any topics of real major interest anymore. Sure there are ones I join in with but I don't feel overly compelled to do so. There's far too many posters who add little to the discussion, instead concentrating on poorly written, poorly constructed and grammar lacking posts. I won't mention any names, but I am sure we can all name an irritant.

Does this lower my interest in the game though? No, I wouldn't say so. It merely lowers my interest in the forums. I try not to pay much attention to the random mutterings of a minority in their postings of bugs. As far as I am concerned the game plays well. To be frank, the only reason I come here as much as I do is to see what's going on whilst I play through the slower games I enjoy.

Peter, my suggestion to you is that perhaps you spend too much time here, or that you pay too much attention to what is said. You have been on the forums for just over two years and have made over 12,000 posts. In my view that is excessive and you're probably taking notice of a lot more than you should by replying to everything. Do what I do; get on with the game and scan the forums when the game is progressing. You'll find more enjoyment in the few posts you respond to and the junk won't get to you. Don't get too serious about it all.

As for the forums, they need a clean up. The rules that talk about no text speak, use of English and others needs to have more added to it. Crazy spam posting needs to be stopped and grammar and proper construction of posts needs to be encouraged. There are far too many instances of one line posts, posts that merely state 'I agree with the above' and ways to get around bad language or the rules.

It would make this site a better experience for all.

On a jokier side, have you seen this guy in a thread near here?

Archived