Libero

Due to some tactics creating, I've found out that we gamers deploy a libero in our tactics! Well I was a bit surprised that SI included this! But this made me interested... Who uses a libero? what tactics? And who do you actually use for such a special and dynamic role in the game?

Sweeper type carry on that drifts from behind the centre halfs to the midfield with high creative freedom but also able to tackle, intercept and break up play. Beckenbauer played like that kind of. Dunno if it's replicated that way in game. I would've thought deep lying playmaker played as a DMC would be a similar role

A libero is a sweeper, which means he must be calm and composed at all times. He is practically the last line of defense, ready to make last ditch tackles if required. Therefore, high anticipation is required. However, he also attack. when his team is having possession, he moves his way up to support the midfield. In some cases, a libero is also deployed to attack in such a way that he is practically dribbling all the way to be an attacking threat. In other words, a libero is like, a defensive minded free role. A famous player of a libero would be none other than South Korean legend, Hyung Myuong Bo.

A libero is a sweeper, which means he must be calm and composed at all times. He is practically the last line of defense, ready to make last ditch tackles if required. Therefore, high anticipation is required. However, he also attack. when his team is having possession, he moves his way up to support the midfield. In some cases, a libero is also deployed to attack in such a way that he is practically dribbling all the way to be an attacking threat. In other words, a libero is like, a defensive minded free role. A famous player of a libero would be none other than South Korean legend, Hyung Myuong Bo.

Did you think Beckenbauer was not a famous enough example? Seeing as he pretty much defined the role as an attack building defender who steps into midfield, I'd say he would be the one people would get, rather than a South Korean legend :D I'll assume from your comment that you are Korean, in which case I'll excuse your rose tinted view.

For the record a libero in an old skool Italian catenaccio system would not be an attack builder, he would just sweep up and stay back.

Weird, I have commented on a thread in the tactics section on libero's.

I am wanting to implement one into my formation, but I don't have the personnel yet. I started a game with Genoa (who have 2 in their squad) and in the friendlies I tried, the libero was fantastic (when set to an Attack setting), but I only played teams a lot weaker than me.

Still, I think it's an area of tactics that's worth exploring.

I've never got a Libero to be anywhere near the effectiveness I'd need him to be to justify using a formation with one.

Which is realistic as pretty much nobody uses a Libero anymore - except maybe Philippe Mexes?

It depends, I'd say ball-playing CBs such as Daniel Agger or Caylos Puyol have developed from the libero, as before then centre backs were just stoppers.

Alternatively, I read an interesting article (World Soccer, around 2005ish) about how the creative defensive midfielders in Italian football (Pirlo, essentially) is the modern-day libero.

Just in the same way that wingers aren't what they were 50 years ago, maybe the role of libero has just been redefined?

It depends, I'd say ball-playing CBs such as Daniel Agger or Caylos Puyol have developed from the libero, as before then centre backs were just stoppers.

Alternatively, I read an interesting article (World Soccer, around 2005ish) about how the creative defensive midfielders in Italian football (Pirlo, essentially) is the modern-day libero.

Just in the same way that wingers aren't what they were 50 years ago, maybe the role of libero has just been redefined?

Spot on. Basically the Deep Lying Playmaker in the DMC role. Pirlo is a superb example.

Did you think Beckenbauer was not a famous enough example? Seeing as he pretty much defined the role as an attack building defender who steps into midfield, I'd say he would be the one people would get, rather than a South Korean legend :D I'll assume from your comment that you are Korean, in which case I'll excuse your rose tinted view.

For the record a libero in an old skool Italian catenaccio system would not be an attack builder, he would just sweep up and stay back.

Haha! Nope, I'm not a Korean, but an Asian :)

I use Hong Myung Bo (I even spelled his name wrong!) as an example, simply because, I've never seen Beckenbauer play before :p

I know he's a german legend, probably the best sweeper there ever will be, but I've never actually seen him play before. But Hong Myung Bo is too a figure of Korea Republic. In 1994 World Cup, he lead the Koreans to fight against superior European national teams. Because of Hong, Korea Republic came back from 2-0 down to tie the game 2-2. Because of him, Korea did not lose too badly against the mighty Germany (from 3-0 down to lose the game 3-2). Hong also won the Bronze Ball award at 2002 World Cup. That's why I know him :)

Haha! Nope, I'm not a Korean, but an Asian :)

I use Hong Myung Bo (I even spelled his name wrong!) as an example, simply because, I've never seen Beckenbauer play before :p

I know he's a german legend, probably the best sweeper there ever will be, but I've never actually seen him play before. But Hong Myung Bo is too a figure of Korea Republic. In 1994 World Cup, he lead the Koreans to fight against superior European national teams. Because of Hong, Korea Republic came back from 2-0 down to tie the game 2-2. Because of him, Korea did not lose too badly against the mighty Germany (from 3-0 down to lose the game 3-2). Hong also won the Bronze Ball award at 2002 World Cup. That's why I know him :)

youre absolutely right about hong myung bo. im german, and beckenbauer is a legend here, the same as hong myung bo is in korea. they were both outstanding players in their position, though i think at the time of beckenbauer it was easier and less dangerous to play the role of libero, so all credits to hong myung bo :)

apart from that, it was beckenbauer who defined and invented the role of libero and how to interpret it, not the italians, they just copied him.

I have flirted with libero before and I always use it as an attacking role. I've used it before especially for away game. There is no good libero to be found in the game. Well, not as I want it to be. However, I've retrain Tom Huddlestone as my libero and he excelled in that role. It was fun seing him dictating play in the middle and sometimes he is in the penalty box! He is a good passer, meaning he can pass a long bomb deep from defense, and strong in defense. Apart from him, i've yet to find other strong candidates. I think as people mention here that the role had been redefined, the most you would get are defensive sweeper, which are easy to find.

If you lucky enough to find a player who fits the criteria, try to retrain him into new position.

I've never got a Libero to be anywhere near the effectiveness I'd need him to be to justify using a formation with one.

Which is realistic as pretty much nobody uses a Libero anymore - except maybe Philippe Mexes?

Yeah mate, from the attributes required to play as a libero, I found out that Mexes will be the best candidate to play as libero in the game atm. With his stats, he should be considered one of the best sweeper in the game due to his high defensive attributes like tackling and marking, and also good mental attributes like decisions too. Having 12 for dribbling, best for a sweeper in the game, he is also capable of playing offensive football. With PPMs like get into opposition area and get forward whenever possible, Philippe Mexes is perhaps the best candidate for this special position. I may start a game with Roma just to experiment the role :)

From TT10:

Libero: The libero is a ball playing sweeper. In defensive mode, he sits behind the centreback(s) just like the common sweeper. However, if he receives the ball he looks to move forward with it, playing out of trouble and looking to feed the midfield. He needs more technical skills than a normal sweeper, therefore, and the centre backs will need to be able to cover him should he get caught further up the pitch. Contemporary examples are hard to find, but Rio Ferdinand is an example of a defender comfortable enough on the ball to play the position. The lack of liberi at top European sides shows that the position is a dying one (with Napoli being perhaps the most high profile exception).

Contemporary Example: The libero has virtually died out at the highest level in modern football. As such there are no stand-out examples of liberi playing in the top leagues.

Classic Example: Franz Beckenbauer (West Germany)

would Lucio be good playing as a sweeper?

he is great defensively and always love to go forward

Nope, but his PPM include get forward whenever possible. He could but good if retrained to be a sweeper ;)

Btw I just dug out an old Fm2010 save of Real Madrid, and realised Garay is a natural sweeper! Tried him as a libero in a friendly, but he ended up sitting at the back too often. Even if he moved forward, he'll dash back immediately. I guess he's too defensive. I guess I'll train him to have PPM get forward when possible. If not, I'll probably get Mexes :)

Libero cant even work in modern football, is been totally replaced by the idea of deep playmakers at DM position, which has almost been overtaken by the support striker (creative strikers/target man) role, eventually we'll have 6 upfront again like the 50's.

Libero cant even work in modern football, is been totally replaced by the idea of deep playmakers at DM position, which has almost been overtaken by the support striker (creative strikers/target man) role, eventually we'll have 6 upfront again like the 50's.

Yeah I agree with you, but I want to experiment with how it works. Btw, I've signed Madjid Bougherra who've got 14 for dribbling and competent as sweeper, also having PPM of get forward when possible. So excited for my experiment!

Btw, just for fun, I played 2-3-5 formation on fm before. Against weak opponents, opponent could not even get the ball! I got 71% possession :D

Archived