Beckford in the Prem

Chaps, I've bought Beckford for £800k as back up for Torres, I play 4-1-4-1 with attacking wingers and centre midfielders. Torres has scored 18 goals in 20 games. Beckford gets chances (including 1 missed pen at the Emirates too!) but is utterly woeful in front of goal, hasn't scored in 7 starts including some shocking misses! I'm playing patch 10.3...

Question is, has anyone else taken a punt on Beckford and brought him to the Prem, is he as shocking for you as he is for me?!

I think his stats need tweaking, I've checked another of my saves and he's not even prolific in L1... hasn't the lad scored goals for fun over the last few years?!

I mean, sure the prem is a step up, but he is missing everything, six yard box at old trafford, fired it at the corner flag!!

If you count 20 league goals a season as profilic then he has been. At the start of the game he is the best striker in League One, but he's never scored a goal above League One (though to be fair he has hardly played above League One). So he is rated as a very League One striker, but in game he won't cut it in the Premier League. For me you wasted £800k on him when you could of found muche better players in Europe for less.

In my current career game he has played one season in the EPL and scored 3 goals, 3 seasons in the Championship and managed 30 goals in total, all under AI control. When he has played and proved himself at Championship or Premier League level his stats can change, but the last couple of months he has barely looked like a decent League One striker.

i generally think Beckford is a good champ striker at best, i bought him for Hull (remarkable seen as they are Leeds rivals, shows he follows the cash), he got 4 goals in 28 prem games and was very wasteful in front of goal, in the champ he played 30 and scored 11 which is ok, IRL tho if you speak to the majority of Leeds fans they dont really rate Beckford as good as everyone else - he wont be a good prem striker, but will bang them in the lower leagues, a bit like Jason Scotland

I'm using the original patch at the moment and have just been promoted to the premiership after back to back promotions. He started the season scoring 4 in 3 but i am now forced to leave him out as we have changed tactics to one upfront and obviously Yakubu gets the nod over him....he started well though!

Why would you want to buy beckford if your a premiership team? lol. due to your reputation and finances there are hundereds of better strikers you could sign :D

In my first season for leeds on my last game I sold him to west brom for £1.9m and bought kikin fonseca (775k), obollo (800k) and viguera (230k) instead... :D

Pretty much.

I would have liked to see Beckford in the Premiership at around 22 years of age, I think he could have made it big? As said as it would have made me sad as a Leeds fan.

But would have been nice to see him to do well in the big time.

TBH I think Beckford would score goals at any level, but he'd have to be in a team that would give him lots of chances. If he played for a mid-table or relegation threatened team in League 1 he would get about 10 a season.

I've watched Beckford alot and as someone earlier noted he's never scored a goal outside of league 1, his general play just isn't Premiership standard. In my opinion if his expected move this summer to Everton goes through , by January 2011 he'll be on loan somewhere. The most important fact for me is he really isn't going to get any better than he is now, if he was as good as he is now and 23 fine. But he is at an age now where he won't really improve, his pace is lightning for League 1 but not for the Premiership. In every way you can look at it David Nugent is a better player than Beckford and he can barely hack it in the Premiership.

Don't get me wrong he's done great for Leeds with 30+ goals a season in this last 3 seasons, also with Scunthorpe before Leeds' relegation his goals helped them to promotion. But Dennis Wise was adamant that he wasn't good enough for a Championship side, I think he is probably good enough for a mid table Championship side. I guess we'll see next season as he seems certain to be Everton bound.

As for him in the game I always sell him once I get to the Championship and start pressing for promotion, as I say his best asset is his pace but I can name SO many Premiership players who are faster

I've watched Beckford alot and as someone earlier noted he's never scored a goal outside of league 1, his general play just isn't Premiership standard. In my opinion if his expected move this summer to Everton goes through , by January 2011 he'll be on loan somewhere. The most important fact for me is he really isn't going to get any better than he is now, if he was as good as he is now and 23 fine. But he is at an age now where he won't really improve, his pace is lightning for League 1 but not for the Premiership. In every way you can look at it David Nugent is a better player than Beckford and he can barely hack it in the Premiership.

Don't get me wrong he's done great for Leeds with 30+ goals a season in this last 3 seasons, also with Scunthorpe before Leeds' relegation his goals helped them to promotion. But Dennis Wise was adamant that he wasn't good enough for a Championship side, I think he is probably good enough for a mid table Championship side. I guess we'll see next season as he seems certain to be Everton bound.

As for him in the game I always sell him once I get to the Championship and start pressing for promotion, as I say his best asset is his pace but I can name SO many Premiership players who are faster

Didn't he knock United out the cup at OT with a quality performance?

He's signed a pre-contract deal with Everton and will join us in the Summer. For David Moyes to see something in him, he has to have something as the ginger git is right a lot of the time.

We'll see next year I guess. I do think his stats need tweaking to make him a good lower- to mid-table Premier League striker if he's playing at Everton.

One of my mates supports Leeds, and he said Beckford can't score when it matters.

Said if its a big game where they need to win Beckford usually doesn't turn up, although he did say that he's good at scoring alot of goals against teams lower down the table.

Playing Leeds in season 1 in L1 now, Beckford was great (10 goals, second to Nassim Akrour who I got on a free transfer at the start) and then he tore a hamstring and is out for 4-5 months. His worth has crept up to 2.7m (dollars) and I'm thinking of selling him in favor of a younger striker - John Fleck? Rhys Murphy?

As a Liverpool fan I'm delighted that Everton is wasting money on Beckford!! I pray they play him against us and our defenders muck him up!!

He's signing on a free and I doubt he's getting a huge signing on fee or high wages. If he does ok they could probably sell him to a championship team and make a couple million profit.

One of my mates supports Leeds, and he said Beckford can't score when it matters.

Said if its a big game where they need to win Beckford usually doesn't turn up, although he did say that he's good at scoring alot of goals against teams lower down the table.

apart from the goals against Man Utd & Spurs of course :rolleyes:

He's signed a pre-contract deal with Everton and will join us in the Summer.

No he hasn't. Utter rubbish.

Yes, he may end up at everton, but because of his age, he can only talk to european clubs about pre-contracts.

pre-contracts with another english club would be illegal

I took over a struggling Leeds team about 5 years in to the game. They weren't playing Beckford at all, but a spanish guy called Kepa instead. I put Beckford in the team and he scored a bucket load of goals.

We got promoted to the Premiership when Beckford was 32 and he score 27 in his first season and that won him the golden boot.

My backroom staff keep telling me his stats are dropping, but the guy has the midas touch. He got himself a new 2 year deal and poor old Kepa is on the scrap heap!

No he hasn't. Utter rubbish.

Yes, he may end up at everton, but because of his age, he can only talk to european clubs about pre-contracts.

pre-contracts with another english club would be illegal

He does have an understanding with Everton though, and if Everton still want him and Beckford wants to join then the move is more or less in place already. Contracts are a nice way of tying players down to a move. But nothing wrong with agreeing a move in principal, it's just that nobody is legally bound by it.

Manchester United 0 - 1 Leeds Untied - Beckford

He is what he is. A 26 year old League One player.

He definitely had the potential at some point to make it in the bigger leagues but stuck with Leeds. But at 26 he's kinda never going to reach that potential he used to show.

He still shows glimmers of brilliance, and sometimes he peaks above is Current Ability (IRL) for a short burst. But he's really not going to be much better than a League One player and he would struggle against bigger opposition on a weekly basis, I think.

And I'm a Leeds fan.

Funny how 3 years ago when he was on loan at Scunny (IRL) many of us thought that he was a quality player but far from the finished article.

We tried to sign him in the summer of 07 for our first stint in the CCC... but it all fell through and we bought Martin Paterson instead.

Chances are he would have been a success for us at Scunny in the CCC, due to the way we play he would fit in perfectly in our setup... just like Billy Sharp, Martin Paterson and now Gary Hooper have shown.

I've always seen him as a purely physical striker, pacey and fairly strong. Don't think he's good enough for Prem level. Good on FIFA though:rolleyes:

Strong? That made me laugh. I still think he'll only score if he's in a team that creates chances for him. He'll do nothing for general play and he won't create any chances himself, especially at higher level, but give him the ball in one on one and 7/10 it's a goal. He's just a player that ends up on the finishing end of things.

apart from the goals against Man Utd & Spurs of course :rolleyes:
Manchester United 0 - 1 Leeds Untied - Beckford

Yep i know, it's not me whos saying it i'm quoting a friend, i've never really seen him play. ;)

I did watch him this season against Liverpool and he was really quiet and his shooting was poor, but he seemed to make up for it against Man Utd and Spurs. :p

Strong? That made me laugh. I still think he'll only score if he's in a team that creates chances for him. He'll do nothing for general play and he won't create any chances himself, especially at higher level, but give him the ball in one on one and 7/10 it's a goal. He's just a player that ends up on the finishing end of things.

So an English Yakubu, basically.

To those who said he hasn't reached his potential, he has ! This is as good as he was ever going to be and he's done fantastic for Leeds but League 1 to the Premiership is just too big a jump. The only reason Everton are looking for him, well actually there are two reasons!

1. His pace

2. Everton can't afford high price forwards.

As a Leeds fan I can honestly say he isn't even close to the class of Yakubu. That's not to say he's a bad player he's done as well if not better than he was expected to do. He's certainly done more than Dennis Wise ever thought he would, 30 goals plus every season. But every player has a level and I think his is mid table championship.

The other downside to him is his attitude, its poor at best, he won't react well to being on the bench and at Everton he'll be there every game.

As i've stated before his main strength is his pace and that doesn't last, also compared to players like Clichy, Agbonlahor, Walcott etc he's not that quick!! Premiership pace is very different to League 1 pace

Archived