Managing Southampton

What's the deal with this? I knew their chairman had a bit of money but he keeps throwing around £30m in to help me out and then £80m when I got to the Prem - I've never had a chairman give anywhere near the amount of money Markus Liebherr does before and I'm pretty sure this isn't really whats going on down there

Isn't he a Swiss Billionare though?

He can throw money around

He is but he doesn't - you don't get money like that at QPR or Chelsea or other billionaire owners who don't put money in - I've turned on the sugar daddy at a club before just for fun and I still didnt seem to get this much money

What's the deal with this? I knew their chairman had a bit of money but he keeps throwing around £30m in to help me out and then £80m when I got to the Prem - I've never had a chairman give anywhere near the amount of money Markus Liebherr does before and I'm pretty sure this isn't really whats going on down there

I'm playing as Southampton now and I don't remember getting any money thrown at me after promotion - least of all 30M...

Our beloved Markus (Mr. Liebherr) is worth approximately £3.7 Billion, and as part of his takeover of our Club (in real life), he will be spending what he considers to be appropriate amounts for each new level (higher, we would hope! ;) ) that we find ourselves at.

Markus is in it for the long haul, and has already developed a great affection for the Club.

He prefers to sit back and enjoy his investment as a hobby, just coming to watch our games and leaving the actual running of the Club to Mr. Nicola Cortese; his trusted right hand man.

Basically, Southampton will spend whatever we feel is required to get us out of each division as we progress. We've spent a lot this season (again, in real life) for a League One Club, and once we reach the Championship (hopefully next season) Markus will be making a lot of money available to return us to the Premier League.

Once back in the Premier League, where a Club of our pedigree belong (27 previously unbroken years in the Top Flight), more serious amounts of capital will be leaving Mr. Liebherr's pockets to push for Champions League football.

Markus wants to make his team into one of the best around, and as it's a hobby for him rather than something he is expecting a financial return on, he is happy to spend big to achieve his lofty ambitions for us.

So yes, the kind of money you're getting from him in the game is reflective of his ambitions for the Club in real life; and you'll certainly see us begin spending a lot more as we begin our progression back up through the leagues. :)

indeed... you would have thought it was fairly obvious to set markus as a background sugardaddy and not forefront..

not that im complaining.. i have a soft spot for the club irl and am happy the game is throwing cash at them..

but it seems to me that southampton are the one club in the world today that are actually following the background sugardaddy option to the letter of the law.. i.e putting in enough cash to be a force in that particular league...

It's meant to be important when you're in the Premiership though, Pompey's past owners have screwed that one up in all fairness..

It’s a bit like West Ham, mis-management of a club, spending what you don’t have. :thdn:

more serious amounts of capital will be leaving Mr. Liebherr's pockets to push for Champions League football.

Are you taking the mick?

This is as bad as those "This Is Our Gap Year" T-shirts I saw around St Mary's in the 2005/06 season. I'm a neutral fan btw.

Archived