Anyone ever found a new Gazza??

Was watching some old Paul Gascoigne moments on TV the other night and at his prime I think we forget how good he actually was.

In FM I assume a similar player would need high creativity, flair, dribbling, pace, off the ball, strength, finishing, heading and passing and those players don't seem to exist. Anyone ever come close to finding a Gazza the complete midfielder?

There is a player in my game atm who is literally dubbed the new Paul Gascoigne. He won't sign for me though.

Yeah I had the pleasure of seeing him destroy us (Hearts) a couple of times when I was younger and he played for Rangers. Great player.

Ryan Mason (Spurs) was touted as the new Gazza on my 10.2 save. He was good enough as a back up by the age of 22, but was clearly never going to hit the heights of Gazza at his best. Sold him to Catania (who also snapped up Thudd) for about £10m. When I got the England job 6 months or so later he was good enough for the squad.

I forgot how much he could do. He could pass, dribble, finish, tackle (to an extent!!), head the ball, had strength, pace and accelaration. I can't name a player today who even comes close.

He was a phenom. But wasted his talent.

In game someone like Toni Kroos may get close to the Gazza type.

He was a phenom. But wasted his talent.

In game someone like Toni Kroos may get close to the Gazza type.

It's a shame really. I saw an interview with Alex Ferguson who said Gazza had said he would join Man Utd but at the last minute went to Spurs because Spurs offered his mum and dad a house in Newcastle area. No disrespect to Terry Venables but I reckon if he had gone to Utd I reckon we may have seen a different Gazza even now as Ferguson would have kept a rein on him and London was a daunting place with too many temptations for a 19 year old.

It's a shame really. I saw an interview with Alex Ferguson who said Gazza had said he would join Man Utd but at the last minute went to Spurs because Spurs offered his mum and dad a house in Newcastle area. No disrespect to Terry Venables but I reckon if he had gone to Utd I reckon we may have seen a different Gazza even now as Ferguson would have kept a rein on him and London was a daunting place with too many temptations for a 19 year old.

Not sure about that, the boy was troubled already. As mista t says he probably wouldn't have played at utd. Venables had faith in him, thats the real reason he came to the Lane, and to be honest even drunk he was still brilliant. That cup final tackle and resulting injury was what sent him off the rails completely.

I've got a young regen who's been labelled the new Gazza, he's currently on loan to a league 1 side and is tearing it up. I'll probably promote him to the subs bench next season, as my current backup is getting a bit miffed that he's stuck behind my captain in the pecking order.

Archived