WHY WHY WHY??? Stupid chairman.

Why would the chairman stick his big carrot nose in and accept a £3million bid for my best midfield centre who came through my average youth academy?

Bare in mind that this is the best newgen who has ever came through the ranks in 57 years, who is 18 years old, not one of the top earners and who was my captain.

It was a ridiculous deal, the £3million is spread over 38 months so it's not even as if I can use the money to replace him.

I had £7million in the bank before this deal so it makes no sense what-so-ever.

I needed this guy for my push for promotion to the Premiership.

Soooooooo frustrating!!!

Who are you managing, you say you have £7m in the bank, but what are the club debts like?

I'm managing Farnborough FC currently in the Championship.

I do have a £21mill loan for a new stadium but I've had that for a year or two and the £156k a month payments are no problem. The £7mill covers that easy.

If I needed to sell a few players then I have a few back-ups on higher wages who I could have easily got that money for.

Just frustrating because he was by far my best player, English (which I don't have many of) and he was only 18!

I'm managing Farnborough FC currently in the Championship.

I do have a £21mill loan for a new stadium but I've had that for a year or two and the £156k a month payments are no problem. The £7mill covers that easy.

If I needed to sell a few players then I have a few back-ups on higher wages who I could have easily got that money for.

Just frustrating because he was by far my best player, English (which I don't have many of) and he was only 18!

Obviously maths is not your forte. £7m does not cover £21m. Its that kind of thinking that sees Pompey, Leeds etc where they are now.

Luckily for you, your chairmans calculator seems to be working ;)

Obviously maths is not your forte. £7m does not cover £21m. Its that kind of thinking that sees Pompey, Leeds etc where they are now.

Luckily for you, your chairmans calculator seems to be working ;)

What I meant was the £7mill currently in the bank would easily cover the £156k payments for the next few years.

Obviously I will be adding to that with player sales of my own at the end of each season when required.

I took Farnborough to the Premiership but got bored that they would only put about 1000 seats in per season (Can't run a club with only 3500 seats in EPL)

Did they replace terraces at Cherrywood or just straight out build a new stadium? I know each save is different but your experience would be interesting.

A similar thing happened to me,my chairman accepted a measly bid, so i reloaded and used FMRTE to temporarily boost my clubs rep to 10000, stopping them being interested and offering. He was the star of my team at 17 and was going to become someone worth 10-20 mill in a few years. Although some may have considered it cheating, my save would have been ruined, so i dont care :D

A similar thing happened to me,my chairman accepted a measly bid, so i reloaded and used FMRTE to temporarily boost my clubs rep to 10000, stopping them being interested and offering. He was the star of my team at 17 and was going to become someone worth 10-20 mill in a few years. Although some may have considered it cheating, my save would have been ruined, so i dont care :D

FMRTE :(:thdn:

I took Farnborough to the Premiership but got bored that they would only put about 1000 seats in per season (Can't run a club with only 3500 seats in EPL)

Did they replace terraces at Cherrywood or just straight out build a new stadium? I know each save is different but your experience would be interesting.

??? Wouldn't you be prevented from entering even the Championship with only 3500 seats? Does FM follow the step rules closely enough that your board has to put in the minimum number of seats in order to play in the upper levels?

Can't remember what the limits were, but it seems you had to have a lot more than 3500 seats to even be allowed to compete at that level.

I really think this is a major area of the game that needs work. I often defend the game against people "moaning" about it, but the OP has a point.

A player who is indispensible to the team, plays most matches, and does very well in those matches, is worth a lot more than £3million. When Leeds were out of the red, it took a lot more than that to prise young Fabian Delph away. While every player has their price £3million over 38 months is rarely it. Perhaps £3million up front, £1 million after 20 appearances, and £1million after his first international appearance, plus 25% sell-on... maybe that's a fair price.

However, in terms of maths, if the regular payments are less than the club's regular monthly income, ie, they make a PROFIT month-on-month, year on year, then there is no financial incentive to sell. If they make a LOSS each month and they have to take a chunk out of the club's balance, then there IS a financial incentive to sell. The best example to illustrate this is to compare Pompy and Man United.

Pompy's monthly wage bill, loan repayments and other costs far exceeded their monthly income, so although their debts may only have totalled £20 or £30 million, they had no way to repay that money with their current setup. £3million for a talented youngster would have been welcome.

But Man U, even with their £700million debt, their monthly income far, FAR exceeds the repayments due on those debts/wages/expenses. Their income is stable and there is no indication (green and gold scarves aside) that this will diminish any time soon. So unless someone comes in with silly money for a player who WANTS to leave they do not have to sell anyone. Just look at the Ronaldo saga - can anyone honestly say they would have taken £80million if the little winker had said to Fergie and Real Madrid, "Sorry, I'm happy here, I don't want to leave"?

There does have to be a price on every player, but SI need to find a way of enabling virtual chairmen to calculate that value more realistically. Even if it's a quick discussion with the manager with some press-conference type options.

"We have received a bid of £3million for Billy Youngbottom and we are inclined to accept it. However, please make your feelings known to the board:

1) You are happy for us to accept the bid.

2) You would like to negotiate the price (add button to take manager to negotiation screen).

3) You believe he is a valuable player for the future of this club and would be very upset to see him leave"

Something like this wouldn't mean a 100% positive reaction from the board, but as your reputation grows, the more influence you should have over decisions like this.

I really think this is a major area of the game that needs work. I often defend the game against people "moaning" about it, but the OP has a point.

A player who is indispensible to the team, plays most matches, and does very well in those matches, is worth a lot more than £3million. When Leeds were out of the red, it took a lot more than that to prise young Fabian Delph away. While every player has their price £3million over 38 months is rarely it. Perhaps £3million up front, £1 million after 20 appearances, and £1million after his first international appearance, plus 25% sell-on... maybe that's a fair price.

However, in terms of maths, if the regular payments are less than the club's regular monthly income, ie, they make a PROFIT month-on-month, year on year, then there is no financial incentive to sell. If they make a LOSS each month and they have to take a chunk out of the club's balance, then there IS a financial incentive to sell. The best example to illustrate this is to compare Pompy and Man United.

Pompy's monthly wage bill, loan repayments and other costs far exceeded their monthly income, so although their debts may only have totalled £20 or £30 million, they had no way to repay that money with their current setup. £3million for a talented youngster would have been welcome.

But Man U, even with their £700million debt, their monthly income far, FAR exceeds the repayments due on those debts/wages/expenses. Their income is stable and there is no indication (green and gold scarves aside) that this will diminish any time soon. So unless someone comes in with silly money for a player who WANTS to leave they do not have to sell anyone. Just look at the Ronaldo saga - can anyone honestly say they would have taken £80million if the little winker had said to Fergie and Real Madrid, "Sorry, I'm happy here, I don't want to leave"?

There does have to be a price on every player, but SI need to find a way of enabling virtual chairmen to calculate that value more realistically. Even if it's a quick discussion with the manager with some press-conference type options.

"We have received a bid of £3million for Billy Youngbottom and we are inclined to accept it. However, please make your feelings known to the board:

2) You would like to negotiate the price (add button to take manager to negotiation screen).

3) You believe he is a valuable player for the future of this club and would be very upset to see him leave"

Something like this wouldn't mean a 100% positive reaction from the board, but as your reputation grows, the more influence you should have over decisions like this.

Good point. a discussion with the chairmen sounds clever, and they will listen to you more/less depending on how well you've done and how long you have been at the club. :thup:

I like this post. A lot. Good work.

However I still stand by what I said to the OP.

Good point. a discussion with the chairmen sounds clever, and they will listen to you more/less depending on how well you've done and how long you have been at the club. :thup:

Makes you wonder why SI don't think of stuff like this themselves, instead of putting us through all this crap and having to find ways to work around it...

I love that idea. Would certainly help people who tend to start lower down the leagues. :thup:

I think the way to beat this is put a hight preice on a player you dont want to lose and have 'reject all offers on' ussually then teams wont bid for the player in the first place :)

Like if i have a £800k rated player i really want to keep that could get sold under my nose for around £3.5m, id set his asking price at £10m and reject all offers

I lost my best defender whilst managing Granada CF in the Spanish 3rd tier (Segunda B4).

I was not best pleased, I have to admit, but was quite philosophical about it all things considered.

My club's outgoings were exceeding their income by quite a bit, they were heading quickly into the red. The financial situation would only be remedied by my team's promotion (although I was clear at the top) or the sale of players.

Considering I had signed him on a free transfer and the chairman accepted a bid of over a million without my consultation, it wasn't all bad. Luckily he wasn't a captain or vice-captain and I did have cover.

I lost my best defender whilst managing Granada CF in the Spanish 3rd tier (Segunda B4).

Sangonera > Granada CF ;)

I love the chairman negotiation idea. That'd be a pr0 addition for FM11.

Of course, we'll probably just get even more irritating press conferences added instead!

I agree with the rest of your post entirely, but your grasp of the financial situation at Mancester United is a bit out. Firstly the debt is well North of £800m. When the Glazers took over they loaded £1/2bn of the debt on the club, the extra £300m coming form interest payments that they rolled over in the mean-time (suggesting that revenue is not covering payments). Secondly, they had to sell Ronaldo as if they hadn'ty they would have made a £50m loss, which being the second year in a row posting such a financial result would have spelt serious trouble. Thirdly the bond float of 9% p.a over 17 years was a desperation move, and if it had failed banks would have foreclosed on the Glazers' holdings, probalby leading to a fire-sale and/or administration. Fourthly they took out most of the cash at the club in order to pay off the few debts associated with the purchase not loaded onto the club. Finally disclosed in the bond document was a plan for the training ground to be spun off into a Glazer vehicle not associated with the club, and leased back to United at fairly stiff rates, with a thirty year contract.

As a Man Utd fan I shudder every time I think about the finances at the club (as all the troubles are because of the purchase and not on the commercial/football side), and frankly I would say that Man Utd are a lot closer to doing a Portsmouth than everybody thinks, personally I would put it at being a few milimetres from the precipice.

I just wish I could tell the chairman / press / anyone that that was the reason I left a club. I don't have cause to resign often but when I do I would like to explain my decision to someone other than my missus!

I agree with the rest of your post entirely, but your grasp of the financial situation at Mancester United is a bit out. Firstly the debt is well North of £800m. When the Glazers took over they loaded £1/2bn of the debt on the club, the extra £300m coming form interest payments that they rolled over in the mean-time (suggesting that revenue is not covering payments). Secondly, they had to sell Ronaldo as if they hadn'ty they would have made a £50m loss, which being the second year in a row posting such a financial result would have spelt serious trouble. Thirdly the bond float of 9% p.a over 17 years was a desperation move, and if it had failed banks would have foreclosed on the Glazers' holdings, probalby leading to a fire-sale and/or administration. Fourthly they took out most of the cash at the club in order to pay off the few debts associated with the purchase not loaded onto the club. Finally disclosed in the bond document was a plan for the training ground to be spun off into a Glazer vehicle not associated with the club, and leased back to United at fairly stiff rates, with a thirty year contract.

As a Man Utd fan I shudder every time I think about the finances at the club (as all the troubles are because of the purchase and not on the commercial/football side), and frankly I would say that Man Utd are a lot closer to doing a Portsmouth than everybody thinks, personally I would put it at being a few milimetres from the precipice.

Man-United-92-AwayNH%20Pic.jpg

Well as I progressed through the leagues they expanded Cherrywood to 6000 which was the maximum with something like 2654 seats.

Then as I established the team in the Championship they built the new Farnborough Stadium which originally held 15,000 but now I'm in the Premiership the board expanded again and it now holds 24,000. :thup:

All without me pestering them.

Although that said, they refuse to upgrade the "good" training and "average" youth facilities. :mad:

I'm sure they've never thought of this!

Then what do they do when have brain storming of the new features? I doubt they arrive to meeting and some says. Okay this are the new features and we will implement like this. Now go to work!

I was not best pleased, I have to admit, but was quite philosophical about it all things considered.

My club's outgoings were exceeding their income by quite a bit, they were heading quickly into the red. The financial situation would only be remedied by my team's promotion (although I was clear at the top) or the sale of players.

Considering I had signed him on a free transfer and the chairman accepted a bid of over a million without my consultation, it wasn't all bad. Luckily he wasn't a captain or vice-captain and I did have cover.

That is why i prefer the old choice of captain instead of the new one.

Archived