All goals conceded either wonder goals or as a result of mistakes. Bad luck?

I’ll start off by stating that this isn’t a rant and I’m hoping that it turns into a debate and not a stomping ground for people to rant about the game.

Over the last few days I have been trying my best to recreate Fabio Capello’s Juventus and Real Madrid tactics, based on his defensive play and reliance on wingers that aren’t really wingers, with creativity coming from a strong midfield. It’s going well and so far I have managed 12 clean sheets from my opening 21 league games (and a further 5 clean sheets in 6 Champions League games).

The tactic obviously limits the opposition's clear cut chances and they are forced to rely on mistakes and/or long shots, but as a result of that I have noticed a few “issues”. I have used inverted commas because I’m not sure if they are issues or just bad luck and that’s why I have opened this thread, to discuss it and hopefully get some answers.

The following is an analysis of the goals I have conceded in my Real Madrid game (11 goals in 6 games, with 8 clean sheets).

Game One

One goal conceded as a result of my defender getting injured in the build up and the striker having a clear run through on goal.

Game Two

One goal conceded as a result of a defensive clearance hitting the back of one his teammates and falling into the path of the striker.

Game Three

Three goals conceded. One as a result of a poor GK parry into the path of the striker in space, two conceded from 30+ yards out.

Game Four

One goal conceded from the penalty spot.

Game Five

Two goals conceded. One from the penalty spot, the other a deflected free kick.

Game Six

Two goals conceded. One perfectly legitimate, the other the result of an injury to my defender which gave the striker a free header from the corner.

Only one of my conceded goals could be considered a legitimate, well worked, well played goal, the remaining 90% have been from outside the area or as a result of a mistake (I include the injuries in the mistakes column). Obviously this is infuriating, because if it wasn’t for the mistakes/wonder goals I would be keeping far more clean sheets, but I’m not naïve enough to think that I won’t concede goals or make mistakes. However, is it realistic that my side is defending so well, but still succumbing to these errors? More to the point, is it realistic that all but one of them has been from outside the box or as a result of a mistake? I don’t think so, but I’m hoping that it’s just bad luck and not an actual issue with the game.

I’d love to ask for some advice on how to avoid these goals, but I don’t see how I could have avoided them.

On a side note, in the ten games that I can still view the woodwork was hit 10 times, surely that's a bit much too?!

I've not noticed a lot of 'unlucky' happenings. For example I haven't seen many shots hitting another player and falling perfectly for the opposition to score but I have seen a lot of long range goals.

I remember seeing probably an average of one every game in my world cup story. I was running out of ways to describe them all.

When you look at rl, week in week out there are wonder goals scored, goals from outside the area, deflections, and many many many conceded as a result of mistakes, not to mention bad decisions.

So in retrospect, i would have to say that no, the AI teams don't score lucky goals. They just score from coded situations that mirror the same ones irl

Of the examples, in my mind only game 2 stands out as being exceptional. The rest of the goals appear to have come from relatively 'common' situations. It does seem like bad luck to conceed two goals from injuries, but sometimes thats just how things turn out. You might not now see a similar occurence in 100 games.

Are you getting results in other saves you have? Whilst Im not going to simply say "Its your tactics", if you are introducing a new tactic to which your players are unfamiliar, it could have a bearing on some of these examples.

Archived