PDA

View Full Version : dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46]

canvey!!
03-11-2008, 18:12
Yes. I'd say it's about as likely as AFC Hornchurch was this year, and 6 out of 637 were managing AFC Hornchurch, so... And of course, I'll make it my goal to get Canvey Island up and complete the challenge with them.

canvey!!
03-11-2008, 18:45
If it works as it did last year (which I'm certain it will), six teams from the leagues directly below will be chosen based on reputation and promoted, i.e. teams below the Ryman/Unibond/Southern Premier cannot be promoted into the Blue Square North/South.

Scotty Walds
03-11-2008, 19:51
Boston United, hopefully :D

Pete Dewhirst
04-11-2008, 22:11
FC United could be? They'd be fun, maybe Canvey?

Aren't FC United effectively going to be the next AFC Wimbledon though? As in the biggest of the smallest teams? Not that that is a bad thing, I just imagine it'd be less of a challenge because they'd be richer, though tbh I know little about them.

Not sure whether to go with Whitby again or possibly Kendal... getting a small Lake District town to the Champions League final sounds like a laugh!

dafuge
04-11-2008, 22:27
Aren't FC United effectively going to be the next AFC Wimbledon though? As in the biggest of the smallest teams? Not that that is a bad thing, I just imagine it'd be less of a challenge because they'd be richer, though tbh I know little about them.

Not sure whether to go with Whitby again or possibly Kendal... getting a small Lake District town to the Champions League final sounds like a laugh!

I imagine FC United will be a popular choice if they are available, I'm thinking of managing them myself.

The Rebel MC
04-11-2008, 22:56
I haven't really kept people updated but just to let you know I've just finished my first season in the prem with Tonbridge Angels. It's now 2021-22 - taken me ages, I've been on this challenge for months now. Spent the longest in BSP and the Championship. But it's been a success so far. First season in Prem I've finished 6th and qualified for Uefa Cup. Just sold a 4m cb for 20m to Arsenal. Title here we come!!!

michaeltmurrayuk
04-11-2008, 23:21

I expect FC United will be the Gateshead of FM09.

It leaves me with a tough choice of either Marine or FC United assuming either get promoted.

Thebaker
05-11-2008, 15:05

Just could'nt get into it this year, choose halesowen and could'nt identify with them.
Looking foward to the fm09 challenge, i was hoping didcot would be in it but they fell at the last, still maybe fm10 (or AFC Totton).
Farnborough will be the biggest team by miles this year, in terms of rep, size and facilities, bigger i think than fc unitied.

mag man
05-11-2008, 23:05
I'm pretty excited about this challenge... hopefully it will be a bit easier to get Maidstone promoted this year.

ChelseaDaft
05-11-2008, 23:06
Hi all another couple of season updates for you:

Chelseadaft Ilkeston Season 9 2015/1016 BSP.

Well what a nightmare this season has been. Derby cancelled their link to me as a parent club so had to search for another one. In the meantime another couple of players became unhappy and wanted to move on. Paul Bishop my steardy full back wanted to move so was sold for 100k (nice) and my DC who always played alongside a loanee wanted off too so he went for 18k. So i was struggling to sign players good enough to keep me up.

I searched for another parent club and was only offered Sheff Utd or Mansfield who had only just recently been promoted out of the BSP. Problem was Sheff Utd only had reserves who had been promoted from their youth side. Basically i didnt have a strong enough squad to survive but somehow managed it. Not a good season after the 8th place and a cup win to boot the season before! Screenies below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%208/squad8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%208/transfers8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%208/table8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%208/finances8.jpg

Chelseadaft Ilkeston 2016/2017 BSP.

Another bad season and more players becoming unhappy! Was a bit of a mess to be honest. I decided to renegotiate a parent club so cancelled the link with Sheff Utd on 7th July when it was the earliest opportunity to. Looked around again for a parent club and again was offered Mansfield or Notts County which wasn't good enough. So had to shop around the players that were available on loan that my assistant had identified on my seach screen and brought some in at the start of the season. Also brought in a couple of Sheff Utd players who had done ok for me the season before.

Struggled big time as more of my players wanted away at the start of the season but couldnt afford to sell them until replacements came in. So had to deal with pretty much the same standard squad i finished the season with and had the odd "unhappy" player. Wasn't too long before we found ourselves 22nd in the league and 10 games without a win.

Managed to wait before i could ask the board to look for another parent club and again was offered Sheff Utd, to got em on board again and brought in a fair few loanees again. Sold the players who wanted out and brought in one or two my scouts had found and managed to put a tidy run of games together to survive another season in the BSP. At the close of the season i have just been offered another 2 year deal but with the aim to avoid relegation so thats a start. Its about time i got out of this league!

Screenies below:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%209/table9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%209/squad9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%209/transfers9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%209/finances9.jpg

My Career so far in my Dafuge Challenge (using basic general training & the default tactic)
Season 1 08/09 BSN Position 3rd.
Season 2 09/10 BSN Position 1st Promoted
Season 3 10/11 BSP Position 20th.
Season 4 11/12 BSP Position 22nd Relegated
Season 5 12/13 BSN Position 1st Promoted
Season 6 13/14 BSP Position 15th.
Season 7 14/15 BSP Position 8th. Setanta Shield Winners.
Season 8 15/16 BSP Position 18th.
Season 9 16/17 BSP Position 17th.

Blackmama
07-11-2008, 07:26
Just wondering - when Dafuge's challenge for FM09 sets off, how will the new features be implemented in the "Dafuge FM rules of engagement". I'm particularly interested in the new "Ask assistant for new loan signings" feature. Will it be mandatory to scout the suggested players? I don't know whether the assistant will ever propose players who you can't scout - but just in case.

Thanks in advance - can't wait to get started.

roberto922
07-11-2008, 07:29
I forgot to mention, I've gone as AFC Wimbledon on the demo and I'm gonna get a parent club, I'll see if the loans are still unrealistic.

roberto922
07-11-2008, 07:35
I was only offered QPR and Charlton as parent clubs so that aspects improved.

roberto922
07-11-2008, 07:39
You can only have two long term players, is that how it's always been in BSS?

I've just got Josh Wright on loan who should rip the league apart so not much has changed.

canvey!!
07-11-2008, 18:40
You can only have two long term players, is that how it's always been in BSS?

In FM terms, that came in in patch 8.0.1. You do know you can edit your posts, and not triple-post?

dafuge
07-11-2008, 18:43
Just wondering - when Dafuge's challenge for FM09 sets off, how will the new features be implemented in the "Dafuge FM rules of engagement". I'm particularly interested in the new "Ask assistant for new loan signings" feature. Will it be mandatory to scout the suggested players? I don't know whether the assistant will ever propose players who you can't scout - but just in case.

Thanks in advance - can't wait to get started.

Interesting thought, I'm assuming that the players that the assistant will recommend will be scoutable, but I think that these players should be ok to loan provided the assistant has recommended them.

roberto922
07-11-2008, 18:44
Canvey - yes I do know but I was just using quick reply whilst playing.

nerner
07-11-2008, 18:50
Has anyone done this challenge yet? Or has no-one even come close?

roberto922
07-11-2008, 19:03
Yeah quite a few have.

canvey!!
07-11-2008, 19:21
Has anyone done this challenge yet? Or has no-one even come close?

gillianchung, Scab, Leth4187, Beng, 3Sixty, dafuge, Rickaldo, kaNovi, ejthegreat, Annihilator666 and michaeltmurrayuk have completed the challenge. That's 11 people.

roberto922
07-11-2008, 20:10
And I came very close but I'm bored of FM 08 now.

Blackmama
07-11-2008, 21:01
Interesting thought, I'm assuming that the players that the assistant will recommend will be scoutable, but I think that these players should be ok to loan provided the assistant has recommended them.

The highlighted phrase were my initial thought as well, but it might not be as simple. Even in lower leagues you get the odd player (e.g. Anthony Robinson at Mansfield ) who originates from Barbados. If he were to be your player/assistant he could possibly recommend some player from Barbados, that your board under normal circumstances would not allow you to scout.

I hereby declare that signing players on loan as adviced by my assistant due to a new feature being implemented in FM09, will only occur after receiving minimum 1 additional scout report by either the assistant or a scout affiliated with the club managed by me

Whether or not this approach will be mandatory is not my decision - It's yours......I just feel it's right

Scab
07-11-2008, 22:42
I think it's reasonable to be allowed to sign players that your assistant knows about. These types of in-game features offer a realistic way to find talent, as opposed to stuff like the search engine and global transfers list. IMHO it should be encouraged, not limited.

dafuge
07-11-2008, 22:45
The highlighted phrase were my initial thought as well, but it might not be as simple. Even in lower leagues you get the odd player (e.g. Anthony Robinson at Mansfield ) who originates from Barbados. If he were to be your player/assistant he could possibly recommend some player from Barbados, that your board under normal circumstances would not allow you to scout.

I hereby declare that signing players on loan as adviced by my assistant due to a new feature being implemented in FM09, will only occur after receiving minimum 1 additional scout report by either the assistant or a scout affiliated with the club managed by me

Whether or not this approach will be mandatory is not my decision - It's yours......I just feel it's right

I would be tempted to say that would be ok, seeing as in the past having a Bulgarian coach may give you access to tempting Bulgarian players in on trial to sign them. This one's still up for discussion though.

dafuge
08-11-2008, 13:12
I've had a request for a rule change which will make a big impact on the first season, but it should be for the good.

For FM09, all people should load all players from England.

This should mean that the newly promoted clubs in the second season are full of real players rather than getting empty squads with a handful of youth regens. This request came from a head researcher for the lower leagues whose work often goes unnoticed because of the large database overlooking these players.

Thoughts?

Thebaker
08-11-2008, 13:46
I've had a request for a rule change which will make a big impact on the first season, but it should be for the good.

This should mean that the newly promoted clubs in the second season are full of real players rather than getting empty squads with a handful of youth regens. This request came from a head researcher for the lower leagues whose work often goes unnoticed because of the large database overlooking these players.

Thoughts?

I think that would be a good idea as you would then have to get the best out of what is already there and work to get some in within any budgets.
sometimes when signing a full team its too easy to sign a lot of good players to ensure promotion the first season.

dafuge
08-11-2008, 13:53
I think that would be a good idea as you would then have to get the best out of what is already there and work to get some in within any budgets.
sometimes when signing a full team its too easy to sign a lot of good players to ensure promotion the first season.

Definitely. I've always found it more of a challenge taking over a team where a clearout is needed before rebuilding the squad. Starting with an empty squad is actually surprisingly easy.

Thebaker
08-11-2008, 13:55
Definitely. I've always found it more of a challenge taking over a team where a clearout is needed before rebuilding the squad. Starting with an empty squad is actually surprisingly easy.

Eastleigh is always a classic example of this, no transfer money or spare wage budget, high board asperations and a lot of dead wood in the squad.

michaeltmurrayuk
08-11-2008, 18:36

Thoughts?

It should still be possible to use a retain players file to just retain all the players for the challenge teams, rather than retaining all english players - retaining all english players may be too much for some peoples computers.

Scab
08-11-2008, 19:25
I'm all for loading all players from England. Admittedly I'd rather start with an empty squad, but as has already been said; that's because it's easier to start from scratch than to deal with a bunch of contracted players you don't want. For the sake of realism and increasing the difficulty a tad (ha! like we needed that..) I think it's a good idea. To be honest I also sympathise with that head researcher whose work doesn't even come to show in a challenge like this...

dafuge
08-11-2008, 20:32
It should still be possible to use a retain players file to just retain all the players for the challenge teams, rather than retaining all english players - retaining all english players may be too much for some peoples computers.

Do you know what sort of difference between the two we are looking at?

Would all English players be significantly different to just loading the three feeder leagues?

michaeltmurrayuk
08-11-2008, 20:39

Would all English players be significantly different to just loading the three feeder leagues?

I don't know what the exact difference would be - the main difference would depend on the database size selected, I'm not sure but I don't think a small database would select all the youth players in the database for the english league sides.

I can run a couple of quick tests with fm08 to see what the difference is, though that would assume that fm09 database works in the same way.

dafuge
08-11-2008, 20:41
I don't know what the exact difference would be - the main difference would depend on the database size selected, I'm not sure but I don't think a small database would select all the youth players in the database for the english league sides.

I can run a couple of quick tests with fm08 to see what the difference is, though that would assume that fm09 database works in the same way.

That would be great.

I'm thinking of using a large database with all English players loaded.

roberto922
08-11-2008, 20:46
Same here, I'm gonna try and do it without a Premiership/Championship parent club too.

dafuge
08-11-2008, 20:49
Same here, I'm gonna try and do it without a Premiership/Championship parent club too.

I'm tempted to go without a parent club as well, in the past I've always had one but not really used any loan players. I think the money/friendly will be the things I miss the most.

roberto922
08-11-2008, 20:50
I'll have one but it will e one from L1 or lower.

Blackmama
08-11-2008, 21:02

Thoughts?

I vote Yes. It feels more realistic and that's always a good thing in my book!

michaeltmurrayuk
08-11-2008, 21:52

That would be great.

I'm thinking of using a large database with all English players loaded.

Using the FM08 8.0.2 database, running all english leagues you get the following amount of players:

PLAYERS
DEFAULT RETAIN ENG DDT
SMALL 9471 15496 10587
MED 10521 16724 11650
LARGE 12685 18838 13792

NON-PLAYERS
DEFAULT RETAIN ENG DDT
SMALL 4876 6886 5104
MED 4875 6905 5106
LARGE 4908 6939 5140

CLUBS
DEFAULT RETAIN ENG DDT
SMALL 2035 2228 2037
MED 2240 2386 2217
LARGE 2881 3055 2848

Retaining players from england adds an extra ~6,000 players and ~2,000 staff, whilst retainning just the players for the challenge teams adds ~1,000 players and 200 staff.

Also retaining all english players on the small database gives you a bigger database than the default large database - so retaining all english players on low spec machines may not be good.

Scoham
09-11-2008, 00:14

Thoughts?

It's more realistic and more of a challenge, as you said a squad full of deadwood takes a while to sort out.

I've made threads during testing about the lower league players not being in the game unless you load all English players, but it seems thats how SI want it to work.

They should be there for cup matches, friendlies, potential transfers to playable clubs as well as promotion to the playable leagues.

dafuge
09-11-2008, 10:31
Retaining players from england adds an extra ~6,000 players and ~2,000 staff, whilst retainning just the players for the challenge teams adds ~1,000 players and 200 staff.

Also retaining all english players on the small database gives you a bigger database than the default large database - so retaining all english players on low spec machines may not be good.

Great information, thanks :thup:

That's a good point about loading all players on a small database, ever since this challenge started I've made sure that even the most basic machine will be able to run it, I don't want to start alienating people now.

I still think it is important that we all are managing clubs full of players though, so perhaps the DDT file could be made available for anyone who has problems running it all.

Personally I think I'll load them all, the thought of meeting real players instead of grey ones in the early rounds of the FA Cup makes it worth it.

mag man
09-11-2008, 19:28
I'm also quite keen on loading all players from England, will make the challenge more interesting. Previously I would always play first few games of season with grey players because my scouts hadn't come up with any players yet.

Could it have an effect on teams promoted?

dafuge
09-11-2008, 19:48
Could it have an effect on teams promoted?

Yes, the three feeder leagues below the BSN/S are fully researched but the current setup bypasses that and gives us empty squads. Loading all the English players should give everyone a full squad (of useless players) when they start.

mag man
09-11-2008, 19:59
Yes, the three feeder leagues below the BSN/S are fully researched but the current setup bypasses that and gives us empty squads. Loading all the English players should give everyone a full squad (of useless players) when they start.
Sorry, wasnt clear enough from me. I mean could having full squads loaded affect which clubs get promoted rather than reputation alone.

dafuge
09-11-2008, 20:01
Sorry, wasnt clear enough from me. I mean could having full squads loaded affect which clubs get promoted rather than reputation alone.

Not sure really, I'm assuming it will be the same as before.

Thebaker
09-11-2008, 21:10

I played a game last year with all nations loaded and a lot of leagues, holidayed for a year and played with one of the teams being promoted (Tiverton), reloaded several times to see the teams available but they appeared to be the same higher rep teams i saw playing with dafuge's challenge rules.
Not definitive i know, but my point is that the teams were picked by rep rather than any players in the squads, besides some teams don't have many players at all anyway.

daemonic
10-11-2008, 11:26
Does the retain players option work the same if you don't play using real players?

Blackmama
10-11-2008, 11:40
Does the retain players option work the same if you don't play using real players?

As far as I know you only change the player names by unticking "Use real players" - so retaining players will be the same. They just have other names. As far as I know....

dafuge
10-11-2008, 19:50
I'm still undecided on parent clubs.

A total ban would make the challenge a little greater, while at the same time meaning that it will not be possible for clubs to receive loan players who are too good. A partial ban would mean we'd have to 'check up' on people, which is the last thing I want to be doing. No ban at all will mean there will be some people who get lucky and storm the BSN/S using a loaned superstriker.

I'm starting to think a total ban would be the most interesting.

Blackmama
10-11-2008, 20:26
with regards to the parent club discussion...

It's not an easy discussion. My opinion is that since parent clubs are in the game a total ban would be wrong. However stating in the rules that anyone taking part in the challenge cannot be affiliated with a club in the Premiership or Championship untill promoted to League 2 would be fair I think.

As for the "checking up" that's been going on since you started this challenge. Every single image uploaded is scrutinized by other challengers and I reckon a mandatory screenshot of afiliated clubs combined with a transfer overwiev could single out any cheaters.

I hope others will join in with opinions as well - a healthy debate never harmed anyone

mocko666
10-11-2008, 21:49
5 Clubs in the Premiership have teams which they are affiliated to in the blue square north south or below, while a further three teams have either a blue square premier team or a team from N.Ireland who are also semi professional so while it seems unlikely so it is basically 25 per cent of premiership teams or affiliated to a blue square prem team, i don't know if you can take that out of the challenge as obviously it happens.

Also, Coca cola championship teams there is 9 out of 24 teams who are affiliated to a blue square north/south team or below, therefore while not too often, it does happen. So can you take it out of the challenge when it does happen, i don't think you can. However obviously this is obviously my own two cents on whether it happens or not. It is up to you whether it is 'ban' such teams in the Blue Square north/south from having parent clubs in the premiership and championship.

However this information is purely based on the data in the 8.0.2 database so therefore it may not be correct to this present day, however this is the in game data i have to work with.

If you would like to know which premiership and Championship teams are affiliated to blue square north/south teams then feel free to ask. Either way i will be having a go at this challenge.

Thanks

michaeltmurrayuk
11-11-2008, 00:44
I'm still undecided on parent clubs.

A total ban would make the challenge a little greater, while at the same time meaning that it will not be possible for clubs to receive loan players who are too good. A partial ban would mean we'd have to 'check up' on people, which is the last thing I want to be doing. No ban at all will mean there will be some people who get lucky and storm the BSN/S using a loaned superstriker.

I'm starting to think a total ban would be the most interesting.

To be fair I'm against a ban on Parent teams, it's a feature of the game and doesn't the game now have the loan rules for the BSS/N?, also playing as Man Utd on the demo my youngsters are being snapped upon loan by FL teams, and with loans apparently being more common in FM09 we should have a smaller chance of loaning anyone good, as in my experiences for the first several seasons I can only ever attract players no-one else is interested in.

Also was their a major problem with loan players in FM08? I remember having a few, mainly a CD, RM and backup GK, but I remember the computer teams loaning far better players than I could.

It may be best to see how the first few days go - possibly just use the first weekend as a testing weekend, as from my memory each year the challenge has been slightly different, I miss FM06 when I signed half of Man Utd's youth team on free's :(

daemonic
11-11-2008, 09:08
I've mentioned it before but a total ban on parent clubs could be difficult as your board may decide to pair you up with a big team without it being requested. Once this is done I think it's a minimum of a year before you can cancel a link and if it's a good deal financially the board may not be best pleased. This could result in cheating accusations because even the news item announcing the link may not be clear as to whether the board decided on the link or it was requested.
Even limiting what league you can have a parent from is difficult in this situation.

In priniciple I agree with the idea as i prefer to develop my own players anyway but I can't see how it can be done without problems.

rlipscombe
11-11-2008, 09:31
i think that you could argue and argue forever on this subject. if you don't ban it, some people may be 'lucky' enough to benefit from it. if you do ban it, there might be issues like those daemonic mentioned. A partial ban may work but i fear the thread could turn into a bit of a 'you're a cheat.... etc' feel should people be left to their own devices.

either way, i think the decision needs making before we go live again. IMO, i would leave it as it is. then those that want to 'abuse' the system can, and those that don't want to benefit from it and keep the game 'real' can do so of their own accord.

mocko666
11-11-2008, 15:07
But keeping the game 'real' would be to use these as is seen from the fact that Blue square north/south team do have big parent clubs which players go on loan to them is an issue i suppose we don't know about. However now it's been raised and people have views on this then either way people may look down on peoples achievements because they (sorry to single out your comments rlipscombe) 'abuse' the system. Which does put the thread open to cheating chants, as it is this challenge has always been played as the player having as much fun as possible, not a challenge against other people, therefore my 'vote' would be to keep it as it is and at the users discretion.

Therefore i feel that as long as people don't look down on people's achievements because they have used this method in their game, then it should work well.

dlnwba86
11-11-2008, 15:07
Hi All

I completed this challenge in FM07 with King's Lynn but failed miserably FM08, i will be starting this challenge on day 1 like the majority of you here. I just thought i'd chip in with my own opinions on this debate.

I think we're all in agreement that loading all players from England would be the way forward for both realism and to thank the researchers in our own small way as their work normally goes unnoticed at this level.

As far as parent clubs go, i did think a few days ago along the lines of Daemonic in that it has been possible in the past to be given a parent club without asking for one. Even if you reject all the players that they send you, an advantage in annual fees would still occur disadvantaging those without a club. My thoughts are that it is a part of the game and shouldn't be removed. I just think that will be too much of a hassle to check which club everyone has, even if we introduce some kind of upper league limit. What if we ask for a club and only get prem/champ clubs whilst others get offered L1 or L2 clubs??

I think it should just be allowed as it is, let the people who play decide what/if a parent club is what they want, those who do it without will just have more to brag about.

Look forward to starting this challenge this weekend with whatever rules dafuge decides to use!!

daemonic
11-11-2008, 15:54
I say leave them in and anyone who doesn't want to use them that's their choice. Lots of us have our own little rules for these challenges anyway. Some only buy players their scout finds on scouting trips, other don't load real players etc. This can be another one of those personal choices. It's not like it makes the challenge ridiculously easy anyway :)
Once you hit league football the chances of getting a player who rips the division apart diminishes so the challenge won't be any the less for allowing people use parent clubs whatever way they like.

roberto922
11-11-2008, 16:03
Yeah I struggled first season in L2 despite having Arsenal as a parent club. Like I've said before the beauty of this challenge is its simplicity, take that away and I think it damages it. IMO you should leave the game ruleless (to a certain extent of course) and then you simply have greater bragging rights if you manage it without a Premiership parent club or a parent club at all etc. etc.

rlipscombe
11-11-2008, 16:05
I say leave them in and anyone who doesn't want to use them that's their choice. Lots of us have our own little rules for these challenges anyway. Some only buy players their scout finds on scouting trips, other don't load real players etc. This can be another one of those personal choices. It's not like it makes the challenge ridiculously easy anyway :)
Once you hit league football the chances of getting a player who rips the division apart diminishes so the challenge won't be any the less for allowing people use parent clubs whatever way they like.

pretty much sums it up for me that daemonic.

Thebaker
11-11-2008, 20:17

I agree completely with you.
I tried this challenge for the last 2 years and only at best reached the championship. The players i was loaned only ever seemed good for the non leagues, after that i never used any loan players as they were never good enough, didn't really help me to complete the challenge.

DaveHammer
11-11-2008, 20:20
Im another long term player of this challenge and think that the parent/feeder club should be left as it is. No need to change a winning formula.

In fm06 i took Braintree to the champions league and also got as far as this with Chelmsford in '07 but failed miserably on 08. However I have never officially finished the challenge(remember losing a champions league final with Braintree,gutting) but am adamant that this will be my year!

daemonic
12-11-2008, 11:18
Although as previously stated I'm not a fan of loaning players I'm going to add one more arguement in favour...I'm perverse like that sometimes.

While people who've played the challenge previously are likely to give it a go whatever rules are in place, banning parent clubs will probably mean less new participants. Reason being, without loans the first season or 2 will be even more daunting, the period during which a save is most likely to be abandoned. Allowing loanees in the first couple of seasons allows people 'get into' a save. If it just seems like an impossible slog then less people will stick with it.

Jimbokav1971
12-11-2008, 12:10
Ive been asking for a change to this for a few issues now.

The simple fact is that Parent/Feeder relationships between clubs based in the UK is outlawed by all the home nations FA's.

If we were to outlaw the setting up of feeder relationships, it would not stop people loaning good players from higher divisions, it would just make it a little harder and a little more realistic.

I would actually like dafuge to introduce more restrictions on loan signings rather than just ban parent clubs.

I propose that we limit the number of leagues that a player can drop via a loan move.

1. Premiership.
2. Championship.
3. League 1.
4. League 2.
5. Conf Nat.
6. Conf N/S.

My suggestion is that players are inly allowed to drop 3 leagues via a loan.

So a Premiership player could dop down as far as League 2, (that's realistic as I have seen David Wheater on loan at Darlo against Barnet).

Looking at it from the bottom up, A club in the Conference N/S would be able to loan players from League 1 and below, but not the CHampionship and the Premiership.

I think this makes the challenge more realistic and doesnt involve lots of checking up.

mocko666
12-11-2008, 14:35
jimbokav1971 but the thing is, is that teams in the premiership and championship are affiliated to teams in the blue square premier and north and south. Also in one instance they were affiliated to a team below the blue square north/south that is if the 8.0.2 data is correct, then how can we 'outlaw' something that happens realistically (in real life). How about outlawing loaning players that are in the premiership championship, while in blue square north/south. Then you can go up to Championship when in blue square prem, then premiership when in league 2 and so on.

However you can still take on loan the players sent via your parent clubs.

Scoham
12-11-2008, 15:16
jimbokav1971 but the thing is, is that teams in the premiership and championship are affiliated to teams in the blue square premier and north and south.

Aren't they mainly just annual friendlies though, such as Charlton and Welling, rather than loan deals?

mocko666
12-11-2008, 15:49
Ahhh so it seems that way, i stupidly did not think of that thanks Scoham. However Coventry, Norwich, Plymouth all have loans arrangements, so yes i would agree a ban on premiership parents clubs with loan arrangments however other arrangments, e.g. friendlies could be kept in there and as for championship teams i'm not too sure now as it is very unlikely (however does happen) so i guess thats up to dafuge and the rest of the users.

Either way i'll still be taking part.

spankie
12-11-2008, 17:58
I'll stick my oar into affiliated clubs debate.

Watford have an affiliation with Wealdstone and every year at around this time we send them one or more young players for a month or two loan. Partially to let them play in competitive games against men and also because there's not much U18 or reserve games at this time of year.

This year it's Marvin Sordell, last year it was Dale Bennett and Liam Henderson (the latter having 6 appearances for the first team so far) and the year before that it was John-Joe O'Toole and Theo Robinson.

Wealdstone are in the Isthmian League Premier Division, that's 5 leagues down the ladder.
We do play a friendly against them and Northwood, but that's always the reserves/U18s that play.

Scab
12-11-2008, 18:29
If it's correct that the board may decide on this without consulting you, I don't see an outright ban on parent clubs being practical. For the sake of simplicity I'd rather just leave this up to the game.

Scoham
12-11-2008, 18:40

Watford have an affiliation with Wealdstone and every year at around this time we send them one or more young players for a month or two loan. Partially to let them play in competitive games against men and also because there's not much U18 or reserve games at this time of year.

This year it's Marvin Sordell, last year it was Dale Bennett and Liam Henderson (the latter having 6 appearances for the first team so far) and the year before that it was John-Joe O'Toole and Theo Robinson.

Wealdstone are in the Isthmian League Premier Division, that's 5 leagues down the ladder.
We do play a friendly against them and Northwood, but that's always the reserves/U18s that play.

I'm guessing those players go to Wealdstone on 'work experience', rather than a loan? We occasionally do the same with u18 players, they join clubs at much lower levels than youngsters on pro contracts would.

Last season we had a player with Heybridge Swifts for a month or two, and about 3/4 years ago we sent a player to Bishop's Stortford, I think they were in the Conference South at the time.

dafuge
12-11-2008, 19:18
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60316

Presume this feature will have to be turned off?

I didn't know anything about that feature.

My initial thought is to have it ticked, so we start the game with a full playing and non playing squad.

Thoughts?

canvey!!
12-11-2008, 19:22
I think we should aim for realism, and in that respect we don't want the game generating extra staff when IRL those staff aren't there.

dafuge
12-11-2008, 19:22
Also, after reading a lot of people's comments I'm thinking that the best way forward with parent clubs is to leave the rules as they are and let people choose how they play it. I may put a note in the rules though and explain about how there is a chance having a parent club may make the early seasons a bit easier though.

dafuge
12-11-2008, 19:23
I think we should aim for realism, and in that respect we don't want the game generating extra staff when IRL those staff aren't there.

Although thinking about it, with loading all English players those clubs should have the correct staff in place already, so maybe we don't need it.

This one might need testing out.

Blackmama
12-11-2008, 20:34
Although thinking about it, with loading all English players those clubs should have the correct staff in place already, so maybe we don't need it.

This one might need testing out.

Why not postpone the decision untill after the weekend. We'll all get a chance to see how the different subjects affect the game. Right now we are all just speculating...

Husty
12-11-2008, 20:57
My Profile (http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee69/Drogba619/RihoRtelProfile.png)

It's 21st June, but I hope there isn't big difference. I accidentally went 2 days over 19th.

dafuge
12-11-2008, 21:07
Why not postpone the decision untill after the weekend. We'll all get a chance to see how the different subjects affect the game. Right now we are all just speculating...

I'm not sure about everyone else but I'm planning on starting my game on Friday night. I only really have time to play FM at weekends at the moment so if I don't get it under way this weekend then it will be another week before things kick off.

dafuge
12-11-2008, 21:09
One more possible rule change, what about changing the reputation from automatic to Sunday league footballer.

From what I gather, for most people it won't make any difference but it will mean that people can't get extra reputation by selecting a higher age. It also means that our new profiles will say 'Sunday league footballer' rather than 'Automatic', which I think looks a bit odd.

roberto922
12-11-2008, 21:42
Like you said it won't affect me but it'll be a bit more realism into the challenge.

Evertonbloke
12-11-2008, 21:51
Not that it matters a great deal, but heres my opinions on the proposed new rules.

Parent Clubs from any league should be allowed.
Rep should be the lowest, ie Sunday League.
The fill key roles button should NOT be ticked
All English players should be loaded.
The challenge should kick off on Friday 14th.

I cant wait to get into this one this year! Dont know why I'm so mad for it this time round, I only managed to get 4 seasons or so in on FM08!

Will the list of reputations for all the possible promoted teams be published again? I only ask as I will be taking the real man challenge and want someone with less than 1000 rep!!!

spankie
12-11-2008, 22:00
One more possible rule change, what about changing the reputation from automatic to Sunday league footballer.

From what I gather, for most people it won't make any difference but it will mean that people can't get extra reputation by selecting a higher age. It also means that our new profiles will say 'Sunday league footballer' rather than 'Automatic', which I think looks a bit odd.

As long as us older players don't have to knock 10 years off our age to get the Unproven reputation that everyone else starts off with.

dafuge
12-11-2008, 22:18
As long as us older players don't have to knock 10 years off our age to get the Unproven reputation that everyone else starts off with.

I'll have to check but I think switching from automatic to Sunday league will mean everyone will start with the same rep, whatever their age.

daemonic
12-11-2008, 22:21

What do you mean selecting a higher age, I wish I was young enough not to get that boost in rep :p

Good idea though.

Scoham
12-11-2008, 23:57
I didn't know anything about that feature.

My initial thought is to have it ticked, so we start the game with a full playing and non playing squad.

Thoughts?

It'll add generated staff, so its more realistic to have it unticked.

If a club doesn't currently have an assistant for example, it'll create one. Won't be so bad with the smaller clubs I guess, but if one of the top clubs has a generated assistant it wouldn't feel right, at least not to me.

basic_flaw
13-11-2008, 00:10
I said on another thread that the parent clubs should stay. Mainly because I know Argyle send players to Tiverton. The problem in '08 was that the youth players at EPL and CCC level were overrated by the game. As a result, all BSN/S teams can loan players better than their real life counterparts. IMO it's no different to being able to sign Hadji immediately (although this appears to be sorted in '09 if the demo's anything to go by).

Shirley the start with basic staff should be ticked? Every promoted club has staff! If they're crap, you've gotta get rid of them like your players. I'm in favour of starting with the staff and players and having to clear out the deadwood in both. Will definitely add realism.

BrapBrapBrap
13-11-2008, 00:29
I'll be playing this challenge this year. I've always done a similar thing but look forward to getting involved with something 'official'.

I personally think that the key staff feature should be unchecked. The leagues are researched, I imagine a lot of teams will have backroom staff already. If they don't then it doesn't seem very helpful to have generated staff- it's not realistic. It may be helpful if there are initially no coaches at some clubs, but I am sure those clubs will have different drawbacks to others?

I think all parent clubs should be allowed, just for ease of use for new players, and for the previously mentioned difficulties.

I also want to say that I would also appreciate the rules being posted on Friday, I don't have a lot of time other than the odd weekend here and there, so I want to get stuck into my file early and make a start. Nice one!

Jimbokav1971
13-11-2008, 08:29
jimbokav1971 but the thing is, is that teams in the premiership and championship are affiliated to teams in the blue square premier and north and south. Also in one instance they were affiliated to a team below the blue square north/south that is if the 8.0.2 data is correct, then how can we 'outlaw' something that happens realistically (in real life). How about outlawing loaning players that are in the premiership championship, while in blue square north/south. Then you can go up to Championship when in blue square prem, then premiership when in league 2 and so on.

However you can still take on loan the players sent via your parent clubs.

Affiliated? Yes.

Parent club with a system in place to loan players to other English leage clubs? No.

Why? Because it is outlawed by the English FA.

Barnet for example have an excellent relationship with Arsenal in real life. There is a money spinning pre- season friendly at Underhill every season, Arsenal Reserves play at Underhill and there are good relationships between many players and staff, (both first choice French left-backs are flat-mates). What there is not however is any sort of PARENT/FEEDER relationship that the game simulates.

The whle terms "feeder" club is misleading becase it is against FA rules.

If the system between the club was classed as "affiliation" then that's ok, affiliation means "link" and there is nothing against that in the FA rules. There are however rules outlawing any club acting as a feeder club to another in this Country,

Jimbokav1971
13-11-2008, 08:30
Aren't they mainly just annual friendlies though, such as Charlton and Welling, rather than loan deals?

That's exactly what they are:thup:.

Jimbokav1971
13-11-2008, 08:40
Ahhh so it seems that way, i stupidly did not think of that thanks Scoham. However Coventry, Norwich, Plymouth all have loans arrangements, so yes i would agree a ban on premiership parents clubs with loan arrangments however other arrangments, e.g. friendlies could be kept in there and as for championship teams i'm not too sure now as it is very unlikely (however does happen) so i guess thats up to dafuge and the rest of the users.

Either way i'll still be taking part.

No, no they don't.

They might have a good relationship with another club at either managerial or boardroom level, (that makes the loaning of players more likely), but they absolutely do not, (under any circumstances), have a formal agreement where players are loaned from 1 club to the other on a regular basis.

Why? Because if they did the FA would be forced to withdraw their membership of the English FA.

Jimbokav1971
13-11-2008, 08:45

No they don't. They might have sent loan players to Wealdstone for the last few years, (I know they did), and they might continue to do so, (they probably will as it has worked really well), but what they have NOT got is a formal agreement of any kind to do so. There is absolutely nothing in place anywhere to back this up.

Why? Because if there was they would be in beach of FA regulations.

What you have is a good relationship between management and/or board members.

Jimbokav1971
13-11-2008, 08:48

I agree:thup:.

Blackmama
13-11-2008, 08:54
:) I would say you made your point Jimbokav. Anyone still believing formalized loan agreements between english clubs exists obviously can not read ;)

LiRiM-InSaNe
13-11-2008, 09:00
I will be attempting this challenge this year. All other years has been "oh my Tottenham save needs another season" or "Oh I just want to play in Slovenia once". Well not anymore, my sole aim in FM09 is to complete this challenge with Prescot Cables or Marine. Either or and I will be a very happy man.

And TBH I agree with the Loaning through Parent club rule. It isn't a real life formailty, so I see no reason why it should be simulated in a game which prides itself on its realism. If it truly was realistic then I think that this would have been outlawed, long ago

spankie
13-11-2008, 09:39
No they don't. They might have sent loan players to Wealdstone for the last few years, (I know they did), and they might continue to do so, (they probably will as it has worked really well), but what they have NOT got is a formal agreement of any kind to do so. There is absolutely nothing in place anywhere to back this up.

Why? Because if there was they would be in beach of FA regulations.

What you have is a good relationship between management and/or board members.

You're right, there is nothing official guaranteeing that Watford will send players out to Wealdstone.
Scoham is also correct in saying that Watford send them out for "work experience" and not official loans.
They just go there to play against older players and AFAIK they still actually train at Watford.

I'll abide by the general consensus/rule on affiliated clubs and loaning players from them and other teams in higher divisions. But I think that affiliates should still be allowed but the only time you can accept loan players from them is if they are 2-3 leagues higher then you.
BTW it is possible to "pull out" of these loan agreements just like you would do for any other transfer or loan.

daemonic
13-11-2008, 10:39
Yes, you can reject the offer to loan the player although the board usually cancel the link after a season or 2 when this happens due to the link not being utilised enough.

ejthegreat
13-11-2008, 11:04
Good Luck to all those starting the 09 challenge over the next few weeks. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to join in, however, that's going to require a new computer as current one isn't capable of running the game. :(

CaptainPlanet
13-11-2008, 12:20
When's the thread going up? :)

mocko666
13-11-2008, 13:56
No, no they don't.

They might have a good relationship with another club at either managerial or boardroom level, (that makes the loaning of players more likely), but they absolutely do not, (under any circumstances), have a formal agreement where players are loaned from 1 club to the other on a regular basis.

Why? Because if they did the FA would be forced to withdraw their membership of the English FA.

I was purely going on the data from 8.0.2 and according to that the teams that i mention did have loans ticked under affiliated teams so if i am wrong then so is the data from the database 8.0.2.

roberto922
13-11-2008, 15:57
Captain Planet - When the game comes out tomorrow??

dafuge
13-11-2008, 16:54
When's the thread going up? :)

It'll be sometime on Friday evening.

I'll be at work on Friday, picking up a copy of the game on my way home. Once I've downloaded the patch, run a couple of tests and written the opening post (which should be similar to this year's one) it will be started. At a guess, I'd say at about 7-8pm.

Pete Dewhirst
13-11-2008, 17:47
Referring quickly back to the parent club debate, I'd like to add my opinion on how to sort it.

Allow parent clubs - but they must be a maximum of two/three leagues above your current league. For example, if you play in BSN/S you choose a parent club from league 1 or 2. If the board don't offer you a parent team this low then unlucky, you can't have one. Personally I feel there should be a two leagues above limit.

But then again I'll go with whatever the rule is :D

dafuge
13-11-2008, 18:08
I think I'll leave parent clubs up to the player to choose. People have always played this challenge using their own extra rules, this will just be another one.

I might have a go without a parent club at all this year.

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 18:25
Hello Dafuge, will you be opening a new thread for FM09 or will you keep this one?

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 18:27
There will be a new thread. There is always a new thread, plus this one is 114 pages long and has 'FM08' in the title.

roberto922
13-11-2008, 18:27
Read! ;)

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2016478&postcount=11363

Evertonbloke
13-11-2008, 21:35
by the way is the dafugechallenge.com website still going for this year?

I just looked and it said its still in beta.

If it is going, do I have to end my 2008 attempt before starting the 2009 version?

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 21:37
If it is (and it is the same website), you will need to end your 08 attempt.

ChelseaDaft
13-11-2008, 21:42
I think I'll leave parent clubs up to the player to choose. People have always played this challenge using their own extra rules, this will just be another one.

I might have a go without a parent club at all this year.

Hi Dafuge / All

Well just wanna say first off congrats to all who have taken part in the challenge, for those who succeeded and those that didnt quite get so far (including me! 12 seasons and still in the BSP!).

I want to say that i will be following Dafuge's lead and will resist the feeder club option in my new challenge for 09. Also think its a great idea to change the reputation to Sunday League Player... makes it more realistic!

dafuge
13-11-2008, 21:46
by the way is the dafugechallenge.com website still going for this year?

I just looked and it said its still in beta.

If it is going, do I have to end my 2008 attempt before starting the 2009 version?

I've spoken to Allan and he will be working on an FM09 version for the website, hopefully it will be up and running shortly although it is unlikely it will be ready for tomorrow.

dafuge
13-11-2008, 21:47
Here's a little something to wet your appetites :)

Isthmian Premier League

Sutton Utd 1250
Dover 1200
Staines 1150
Ashford (Middx) 1150
Maidstone 1150
AFC Hornchurch 1100
Ramsgate 1100
Billericay 1100
Horsham 1050
Carshalton 1050
Wealdstone 1000
Heybridge 1000
Hendon 1000
Boreham Wood 1000
Tonbridge 1000
Margate 950
Harrow 950
Dartford 950
Harlow 850
Tooting & Mitcham 850
Canvey Island 800
Hastings Utd 700

Southern League Premier Division

Farnborough 1250
Merthyr 1200
Cambridge City 1150
Tiverton 1100
Hitchin 1050
Bedford 1050
Halesowen 1000
Oxford City 1000
Chippenham 1000
Mangotsfield 950
Hemel Hempstead 900
Banbury 900
Gloucester 900
Clevedon 800
Corby 800
Yate 700
Evesham 650
Rubgy 650
Bashley 650
Swindon S 600
Stourbridge 600
Brackley 600

Northern League Premier Division

Boston Utd 1450
Leigh Genesis 1250
Guiseley 1150
Hednesford 1150
Bradford PA 1100
Eastwood 1050
FC United 1050
Marine 1050
Witton 1050
Worksop 1000
Matlock 950
Ilkeston 950
North Ferriby 950
Buxton 950
Whitby 900
Kendal 900
Frickley 800
Ashton Utd 800
Cammel Laird 750
Nantwich 750
Ossett Town 700
Prescot 650

roberto922
13-11-2008, 21:51
Looks like Boston Utd will be the new AFC Wimbledon, it could be quite difficult to get hold of FC United though.

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 21:52
Canvey Island 800

Hooray, I can be a real man and a Canvey Island manager! :) \o/ Thanks, dafuge.

Do you have any idea when this thread will be deleted? (I know it's too soon, but...!)

dafuge
13-11-2008, 21:58
Hooray, I can be a real man and a Canvey Island manager! :) \o/ Thanks, dafuge.

Do you have any idea when this thread will be deleted? (I know it's too soon, but...!)

This thread won't be deleted, it will be left open for anyone still playing the FM08 version. The FM07 and 06 threads were lost in the cull :(

dafuge
13-11-2008, 21:58
I'm hopeful that it will be possible to get FC United, it might take a while though.

Evertonbloke
13-11-2008, 22:01
I'm hoping for Yate, but Clevedon and mangotsfield will do

ChelseaDaft
13-11-2008, 22:02
This thread won't be deleted, it will be left open for anyone still playing the FM08 version. The FM07 and 06 threads were lost in the cull :(

I have given up on my one. Waiting to get the new game and to start it all over again but PROPERLY this time.

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 22:03

Ah, so that's why they went. I don't suppose it would be a huge problem if I cleared my imageshack account of old challenge screenshots?

roberto922
13-11-2008, 22:04
Maybe Canvey!! could post the FC United savegame on the site whilst he goes on his eternal quest for a Canvey save ;)

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 22:07
I can do, if people want. Do games have to be patched up to the patch of the game with which the save was created?

butts
13-11-2008, 22:07
Dafuge any idea when the reset date is just deciding whether to start with this or not.

dafuge
13-11-2008, 22:10
Dafuge any idea when the reset date is just deciding whether to start with this or not.

I haven't got the game yet, so I'm not sure. It'll be similar to last year so possibly June 19th?

dafuge
13-11-2008, 22:11
Maybe Canvey!! could post the FC United savegame on the site whilst he goes on his eternal quest for a Canvey save ;)

I'd say with a reputation that low in that division it will be virtually impossible to get Canvey promoted. I really hope I'm wrong though.

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 22:13
I'd equate them to Maidstone this year. Two people played with Maidstone. Don't you dare dash my hopes!!

butts
13-11-2008, 22:15
Alright mate think i'm gonna go with oxford first anyway will definitely be back soon though.

michaeltmurrayuk
13-11-2008, 22:45
I've spoken to Allan and he will be working on an FM09 version for the website, hopefully it will be up and running shortly although it is unlikely it will be ready for tomorrow.

Hopefully updated logos for fm09 will be ready tomorrow evening... (not helped by google linking to screenshots in this thread ahead of the real club for some clubs)

Gilbster
13-11-2008, 22:52
Havent decided who I'm hoping for yet. Am curious though, which of those teams are the ones that were relegated into those divisions last season?

Also when will the 09 thread be up, so that I can start reloading hundreds of times for an intersting looking team? Want to make sure, (after installing/patching), that I'm using the correct rules for this years challenge, before lots of reloading.

michaeltmurrayuk
13-11-2008, 22:58
Here's a little something to wet your appetites :)

Northern League Premier Division

Boston Utd 1450
Leigh Genesis 1250
Guiseley 1150
Hednesford 1150
Bradford PA 1100
Eastwood 1050
FC United 1050
Marine 1050

Doesn't look as bad as previous years, I reckon Boston will be the Gateshead/AFC Wimbledon getting promoted nearly every time and with Sutton/Dover and Farnborough/Merthyr taking up two of the other slots nearly each time.

With FC United and Marine both having the same rep, I may be reloading for a while :( (I don't know what happened to Marine's rep, it's gone down since last season, they finished 7th in the league last season)

DaveHammer
13-11-2008, 22:59
I want Harlow Town,but looking at those reps there is not much chance of getting them.

Only ever been Braintree and Chelmsford in this challenge so into unchartered territory here.

michaeltmurrayuk
13-11-2008, 23:00
Havent decided who I'm hoping for yet. Am curious though, which of those teams are the ones that were relegated into those divisions last season?

Boston Utd
Leigh
Cambridge
Sutton Utd

Gilbster
13-11-2008, 23:07
Boston Utd
Leigh
Cambridge
Sutton Utd

Thanks, now I know which of the bigger repped teams i definitely want to avoid managing, in case I cant get a sub 1000, within a reasonable amount of time.

Scoham
13-11-2008, 23:32
I'd say with a reputation that low in that division it will be virtually impossible to get Canvey promoted. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Yeah I hope there's been some changes in that area, would be nice if reputations for those clubs changed more than they did in previous FMs.

mocko666
13-11-2008, 23:38
Im hoping for Worksop as its the closest to where im living right now and i have a friend from there so here's for hoping. Cannot wait for tommorow going early morning after my first lecture to get it.

aaberdeenn
14-11-2008, 00:05
dafuge to make a dramatic return to Staines imo. :rolleyes:

There are quite a few teams I'd like to try with, I'll not faff about with reloads though, I'll choose a team from the inital first load, whoever that may be.

mag man
14-11-2008, 00:14
I'd equate them to Maidstone this year. Two people played with Maidstone. Don't you dare dash my hopes!!
Maidstone were 900 I think last year :D I could never get them promoted had to play with the save someone else uploaded. This year however should be able to get them easily :D Its so much more fun playing with local team!!!!

Margate have taken quite a big fall this year, Tonbridge gone up too.

Pete Dewhirst
14-11-2008, 00:27
There are quite a few teams I'd like to try with, I'll not faff about with reloads though, I'll choose a team from the inital first load, whoever that may be.

Annoyingly I'm pretty stubborn with myself and reload several times. This year I want either Bashley, Kendal or Whitby which is gonna take forever!

Allan
14-11-2008, 00:47
It'll be sometime on Friday evening.

I'll be at work on Friday, picking up a copy of the game on my way home. Once I've downloaded the patch, run a couple of tests and written the opening post (which should be similar to this year's one) it will be started. At a guess, I'd say at about 7-8pm.

Hi all, back again.

Got my copy of the game, so will do my best to get the "new" website up asap. Time is something of a premium for me at the moment so its going to be a rehash of the old website with some text updates but same functionality. I'll aim for Friday night some point, but it may end up slipping until Sat or Sun night.

Dont try and start playing Dafuges Challenge 2008/09 until I have the new website up, as teams etc wont match, and you wont be counted in the new tables. Old 2008 challenges will be able to still be played/updated on the site, as will 07 (if anyone still plays it). The site will simply roll over to 2009.

If anyone has any downloads etc for the site then send them (or a link to them if v big) to dafugeschallenge@allanbrown.org.

Dafuge if you can let me know of the full ruleset as soon as you have it so I can get the site updated.

Thanks all,

Allan

LiRiM-InSaNe
14-11-2008, 07:21
Hi all. I've just taken over as manager of AFC Wimbledon.

Started well with a few good signings and a 1-0 win in my first game. However since then I've lost all my games bar one which was a draw to Forest Green.

Can anyone help me with tactics and the like. I'm finding it quite tough at the moment

Jimbokav1971
14-11-2008, 08:11
I haven't played the demo and am about to pop out and buy the game now so you might want to take my advice with a pinch of salt.

In recent issues of FM the key to lower league success has been physical ability.

Most people who did well without loaning brilliant players in from a club in the upper echelons of the structure seemed to base their tactics on being good at the back, (GK seems to become more key with each issue), fine tuning their set-pieces, (no that does not mean the corner exploit), and pairing 2 strikers with different strengths, (a big fat old bloke who is good in the air paired with a speedy youngster for example).

Technical ability seems to be of less importance, (at least it was in the past).

Good luck all.

Remember though that the new thread won't be opened till tonight and it is likely that some people will be using this thread to continue the FM08 challenge so maybe try to restrain your obvious enthusiasm to post in here about newly started FM09 games.

roberto922
14-11-2008, 08:12
They aren't part of the challenge this year, are you playing 08?

Dafuge/Allan, will I be alright to start it but save a screenshot at the beginning to post when the site is up?

cookie15
14-11-2008, 08:33
I myself was wondering when Dafuge was going to be in a position to release the new rules now that FM 2009 has been released. It'd be good to get the ball rolling ASAP (or when i get in from work tonight)!

Let the good times roll

Blackmama
14-11-2008, 08:40
I am delighted that Margate is a below 1000 rep team this year. I'm gonna be a man!!

Scab
14-11-2008, 08:54
Dafuge/Allan, will I be alright to start it but save a screenshot at the beginning to post when the site is up?
You might want to hold off for a bit until the new thread is up since the rules haven't been finalized. Wouldn't be so great to have started with a setting set wrong and have to restart, now would it? :D

LiRiM-InSaNe
14-11-2008, 09:11
Yes I am playing on 08. And amazangliy I managed to get Chelsea as a parent club.
Got two players. A winger and left back. But my goalie is useless and as is my centre half pairing. So if they shoot. Its pretty much a goal.

And I can't sign anyone atm because of a damn board takeover. And they pretty much said, pick up your form or your goneski's.

A little hard with no transfer money and you not letting me buy players. ******'s.

Secretly hoping to get sacked and start again with a lower rep team.

And whats this whole thing about the Islanders?
I hear they help out quite considerbaly

Irish Researcher
14-11-2008, 10:28
Well guys - im under way in FM2009 with Eastwood Town - dafuge as soon as you get a thread up I will put the info there :) Come on the Badgers!!

MyNameIsJohn
14-11-2008, 11:18
Good work on the logos michael, they really add to the realism for me - where will they be hosted?

Looking forward to getting my game started tonight once dafuge has set the ball rolling. I think I'll try for Tonbridge Angels or Buxton so it is going to be some serious time spent reloading for me!

Irish Researcher
14-11-2008, 11:33
I did about 20 re-loads - neither of those sides cropped up - and neither did FC United of Manchester - was waiting for them but gave up in the end when I seen Eastwood as no-one had them last year.

Scab
14-11-2008, 11:54
I've been reloading for a bit to see which teams are likely to show up. So far Halesowen Town and Oxford City are the lowest rep teams I've seen (1000). FC United of Manchester have a rep of 1050 and they've appeared twice for me.

kccircle
14-11-2008, 12:19
Tempted to start but knowing my luck i'll start well and will find I've cocked up one of the tick boxes at the start. Read through the threads and added all players from England and unticked add staff. Hope I'm right

Scab
14-11-2008, 13:13
It seems nigh-on impossible to get a team below 1000 rep promoted. I've been reloading for 2 hours now and I haven't seen a single one appear.

rlipscombe
14-11-2008, 13:26
doesn't sound overly promising......

Gilbster
14-11-2008, 13:30
There does seem to be more 1000+ rep teams this year available for the challenge, which may be the problem. Do the settings that kccicle said seem reasonable if so I will start also reloading and more than happy to upload any unuual teams, if I get the right tick boxes etc... I wont actually pick a team/start the challenge myself until all the rules have been finalised, but if what kcc has stated seems reasonable for the start, I will go from there.

Blackmama
14-11-2008, 13:31
It seems nigh-on impossible to get a team below 1000 rep promoted. I've been reloading for 2 hours now and I haven't seen a single one appear.

It seems like the 1st player to get a below 1000 rep team has to upload the database somewhere. I don't know if I can wait for two-five hours of reloading. :(

Scab
14-11-2008, 13:35
I'm thinking the same thing as Gilbster - the large number of 1000+ rep teams means you're quite unlikely to see the few lower ranked ones promoted. I've used the same settings as kccircle (all english divisions, large database, load all english players, unticked that checkbox about key staff members), but it's not like I know these will be the correct ones. I'm prepared to start over if they'd turn out to be wrong. I don't plan to do anything other than reloads to see which teams get promoted before the official thread appears anyway.

Shandiar
14-11-2008, 16:30
How do we see what the reputation of all the clubs are?

Has anyone seen Corby Town come through? These are my local side (and i'm the researcher) so i'd really like to play as them, but if its gonna take me three days of reloading to get them then i won't bother...

Gilbster
14-11-2008, 16:36
After holidaying for an hour and a half on a large database and still only hitting december, I have decided my poor laptop is clearly not going to cope with a large database with retaining players, given save games only ever get slower and bigger, and I hate slow.

I am now holidaying on Medium database and really hope my options are correct or of course I will have wasted the majority of my afternoon not doing anything remotely productive!

Corby are 800 rep, and the list of the clubs reps will most probably be in teh opening post made by Dafuge, hopefully later tonight. Failing that I think it was on the previous page of this thread.

Scab
14-11-2008, 16:39
I'm using the editor to check reputations, but dafuge also posted them on page 114.

I'm off for dinner now, but after 5 hours of reloading I've yet to see a single <1000 rep team earn promotion. Corby has 800 - 15th in their league in terms of reputation - so frankly I think you'll have a hard time getting them through. :/

Shandiar
14-11-2008, 16:42
Thanks Gilbster/Scab, guess i'm unlikely to see them through then, but i'll have a go. Its a shame cos they're top of their league with games in hand and looking quite good for real life promotion...

Its been about 8 months since i did this challenge. Why do we turn off key staff?

Gilbster
14-11-2008, 16:46
If thats the case this year then Scab, then that real men comment will have to be changed to clubs of 1000 or less.

BTW for those that are reloading are the teams this year coming through with decent sized squads? ie, is retaining the English players having the effect it should do?

dafuge
14-11-2008, 16:48
Unfortunately there might be a bit of a delay, I'm having trouble activating my game.

Scab
14-11-2008, 16:51
Promoted teams do have squads and staff. The only exception to this that I've noticed is Merthyr Tydfil which despite their 1200 reputation only has 1 player.

Shandiar
14-11-2008, 16:57
Scab, that could just be because there is no Merthyr researcher.

Typical the Dafuge, the one guy we could do with having no problems, is having trouble activating. I'm off home now, hopefully things will be ok by 7pm...

dafuge
14-11-2008, 17:48
Promoted teams do have squads and staff. The only exception to this that I've noticed is Merthyr Tydfil which despite their 1200 reputation only has 1 player.

I think I know the reason for that.

I'm hoping not too many people have already started, the idea of loading all English players will not work due to teams like Merthyr having Welsh players. We are going to need to use a DDT file to load the necessary players.

If I ever get my game authorised I might be able to get this thing started.

Gilbster
14-11-2008, 17:55
Ok, based on that my ever slow laptop will give up on those holiday games that still havent got anywhere near June. Just how much would a DDT file add to the game?

I have a feeling I'm going to struggle to run FM09 this year, because it seems to be really slow.

dafuge
14-11-2008, 18:12
The DDT file would add all the players for the clubs in the three feeder leagues without loading a lot of extra ones. It will keep the database down to a reasonable level and make sure that non-English players are generated for clubs like Merthyr.

You could always use a small database, but the DDT file will be necessary to make sure you don't inherit an empty squad.

dafuge
14-11-2008, 18:12
The DDT file would add all the players for the clubs in the three feeder leagues without loading a lot of extra ones. It will keep the database down to a reasonable level and make sure that non-English players are generated for clubs like Merthyr.

You could always use a small database, but the DDT file will be necessary to make sure you don't inherit an empty squad.

mag man
14-11-2008, 18:30
Looks like no mac update tonight :( I dont want to start a game without it.

Shandiar
14-11-2008, 18:49
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a ddt file and how do we use it?

Dafuge - you any closer to getting started?

dafuge
14-11-2008, 19:15
Dafuge - you any closer to getting started?

Nope, still trying to authorise my game :mad:

dafuge
14-11-2008, 20:17
Finally I've got it authorised, hopefully I'll be able to get it up and running soon, just need to finalise a few things.

michaeltmurrayuk
14-11-2008, 21:42
I haven't played the demo and am about to pop out and buy the game now so you might want to take my advice with a pinch of salt.

In recent issues of FM the key to lower league success has been physical ability.

Most people who did well without loaning brilliant players in from a club in the upper echelons of the structure seemed to base their tactics on being good at the back, (GK seems to become more key with each issue), fine tuning their set-pieces, (no that does not mean the corner exploit), and pairing 2 strikers with different strengths, (a big fat old bloke who is good in the air paired with a speedy youngster for example).

Technical ability seems to be of less importance, (at least it was in the past).

Good luck all.

Remember though that the new thread won't be opened till tonight and it is likely that some people will be using this thread to continue the FM08 challenge so maybe try to restrain your obvious enthusiasm to post in here about newly started FM09 games.

I've found playing an attacking tactic with fast strikers and a good Keeper the key to getting out of the BSN - we start off with a low reputation so the computer doesn't seee us as a threat at the start and will play a more attacking style with a high defensive line coupled with older slower defenders, leaving your pacey strikers with several one-on-one chances a game with them eventually scoring, whilst a good keeper will hopefully keep the goals out, defenders and midfielders I don't tend to find that useful at non-league level - my defenders are used to block shots and then thump the ball down the field.

Keeping it simple is also the best way to go, it also depends on what players you can bring in, but what do I know it's taken me two seasons each time to get out of the BSN...

For anyone who is holidaying for fm09 to speed things up drop the detail levels to min, and also dont add any logos for the challenge teams until you've picked a team - as the default badges make picking out the promoted teams easier (though Vauxhall, Team Bath, Chelsmford, Maidenhead and Weston-Super-Mare are all BSN/S teams without a logo).

Also who ever decided it was a good idea to make fm activatable considering it seemed to crash the internet :mad:

michaeltmurrayuk
14-11-2008, 21:46
Finally I've got it authorised, hopefully I'll be able to get it up and running soon, just need to finalise a few things.

Yep that was fun, took longer to activate the game than it did to leave work, wait for my late bus, pop into Morrisions and pinch the last copy from infront of a kid :D and for the first time ever get served without having to wait in a queue, and then wait over two hours for the game to decide I had an internet connection :mad: (it took less time to holiday through a season than activate the game).

blowcrapup
14-11-2008, 21:46
Dafuge are you going to make the ddt file or a guide on how to do it? I have started my game but just loaded all English players but can start again.

Donald-Duck
14-11-2008, 21:49
I've been reloading for a bit to see which teams are likely to show up. So far Halesowen Town and Oxford City are the lowest rep teams I've seen (1000). FC United of Manchester have a rep of 1050 and they've appeared twice for me.

I got banbury(900) twice in 5 reloads

edit: Save on june 24th, new teams come up on the 25th

Scab
14-11-2008, 21:51
That's interesting. I wonder if it has something to do with the reputations of the existing BSN/S teams that get relegated, as has been speculated before. Which ones got relegated on your game?

dafuge
14-11-2008, 21:54
Nearly there people, should be up soon(ish)

Dons
Please enlighten me, cause i have seemed to forget.

Saved june 18th - went on holiday for 1 day - no "game update" it only shows the teams promoted and relegated for the 08 season.

Where is i can tell which teams have gotten promos to the BSN/S ?

Donald-Duck
Vauxhall
Burscough
Hucknall

Bath
Team Bath
Basingstoke

Looks like it wasn't a good year for Bath

roberto922
14-11-2008, 21:55
Stick the link in this thread please.

Scab
14-11-2008, 21:55
Dons, the reset date has changed. 25th is when the new teams appear, so holiday to the 24th (so you can reload for new selections of teams).

dafuge
14-11-2008, 21:58
Stick the link in this thread please.

Will do :thup:

Dons
14-11-2008, 22:05
Dons, the reset date has changed. 25th is when the new teams appear, so holiday to the 24th (so you can reload for new selections of teams).

Cheers!

Here goes a nice challenge - Ashford 650 rep - no stadium, we will play on the grass field outside the school!

edit - nm - they have a mighty 2500 cap stadium..

foost
14-11-2008, 22:06
Woho, finally works here aswell :) - After a ***** start, well done Sega!

Can't wait to find out the correct rules, and start my game :)

*btw; load extra players from england? uncheck staff?

Right?

Gilbster
14-11-2008, 22:07
I dont understand how a couple of people can reload all day and get nothing below 1000, and then we get dons and donald duck with sub 1000 teams, presumably without the hours or reloading. Are you 2 both using ddt files, cos it sounds like its going to be a requirement for this year.

Scab
14-11-2008, 22:09
Here goes a nice challenge - Ashford 650 rep - no stadium, we will play on the grass field outside the school!

edit - nm - they have a mighty 2500 cap stadium..
...and a reputation of 1150 ;)

Donald-Duck
14-11-2008, 22:09
Mines just Large, English players retained. I was trying to see what teams would come up so I've an idea if its worth wasting my time trying to get a sub 1k team

dafuge
14-11-2008, 22:14
Woho, finally works here aswell :) - After a ***** start, well done Sega!

Can't wait to find out the correct rules, and start my game :)

*btw; load extra players from england? uncheck staff?

Right?

I'm nearly there, just hold out for a bit as the rules have changed a bit.

Dons
14-11-2008, 22:14

...and a reputation of 1150 ;)

Ow.. looked from the list on page 1.. Downloaded the game from steam, and for some reason it doesnt seem to show an editor in the file, so how do you tell what rep they have?

Donald-Duck
14-11-2008, 22:16
Dons, go to Progrma files\steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\tools

Scab
dafuge posted the new reputations on page 114. There's probably an editor in your installation directory, inside tools\data editor\.

foost
I will! Take your time, like Sega did (just kiddin ;) )

I am hoping for FC United or Banbury to show up... Anyone going for the same team they had last year? Like Guiseley, Marine or whatsoever?

Gilbster
14-11-2008, 22:18
I'm nearly there, just hold out for a bit as the rules have changed a bit.
Glad to hear you are getting there Dafuge. At this rate I will leave the game holidaying overnight, and will start the mass of reloading, picking a team etc.. in the morning.

dafuge
I will! Take your time, like Sega did (just kiddin ;) )

I am hoping for FC United or Banbury to show up... Anyone going for the same team they had last year? Like Guiseley, Marine or whatsoever?

I quite fancy managing FC United, I might take a while reloading until I get them.

Scab
I'm going for Hendon if I can get them to show up. I did get them once during my long day of reloading, but that was with the wrong settings. Waiting for the DDT now so I can start over. ^^;

blowcrapup
14-11-2008, 22:19
I want FC United as well but I'll just have to see.

Scab
14-11-2008, 22:20
I quite fancy managing FC United, I might take a while reloading until I get them.
For what it's worth, I saw them quite a few times during my many reloads, so it doesn't appear to be the hardest team to get to appear.

Dons
14-11-2008, 22:23
Cheers DD and Scab - reckon i'll join the reload team then :o

foost
14-11-2008, 22:23
Sweet! Sorry for asking, not bothered to use the search button but what is a ddt? A databased thingie made by dafuge?

To make it up with ya guys a hint on a great band from holland, try to download/buy it "Thx Jhn" from Johan (a bit like ehhh, Feeder, Keane, Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs, etc.. ;))

Scab
14-11-2008, 22:26
The DDT file will retain only the players from the teams that are eligible for this challenge, so we get full squads without loading all the english+welsh players in the whole database. I'm sure dafuge will explain how to use it in the new thread.

blowcrapup
14-11-2008, 22:28
Sweet! Sorry for asking, not bothered to use the search button but what is a ddt? A databased thingie made by dafuge?

To make it up with ya guys a hint on a great band from holland, try to download/buy it "Thx Jhn" from Johan (a bit like ehhh, Feeder, Keane, Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs, etc.. ;))

Thanks for that band there actually quite good but I can't fins the song you mentioned.

foost
14-11-2008, 22:28
Thx Scab, more clearer than that aint possible heh

mag man
14-11-2008, 22:29
Can anyone tell me if the patch provides a new database folder? Im unfortunately on a mac, no patch yet.

dafuge
http://community.sigames.com/images/si/misc/subscribed.gif dafuge's FM09 challenge (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=62170)

foost
@ blowcrapup:

Sorry, I ment the album of Johan. Which is called Thx Jhn. Hehe

blowcrapup
Can anyone tell me if the patch provides a new database folder? Im unfortunately on a mac, no patch yet.

It provides one called 9.1.0

mag man
14-11-2008, 22:33
It provides one called 9.1.0
Shame, I dont really want start a new game without the data update. I dont mind so much not having the bug fixes :S but I like having real managers at there clubs when I start.

nerner
17-11-2008, 18:07
I am holidaying at the moment. Will update when i have a job.

saab693
18-11-2008, 00:00
Sadly my first attempt at this year's challenge has ended with a firm spanking from the board and a kick out the back door. On the plus side, I feel I'm getting more to grips with the new game engine and have higher hopes of progressing beyond the first season this time!

So, a new team and a new hope (Star Wars ref?). Wish good luck to the new manager of Chippenham Town. (http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/saab693/Chippenham/SebLang.png)

roberto922
18-11-2008, 16:10
I'm guessing thats FM 09 as you've started in 09 so:

http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=2073611#post2073611

dj clark boy
24-11-2008, 01:13
hi is this this challenge still open just started a new game

rancer890
24-11-2008, 01:24
Yup, this challenge is still open for all those who want to play Dafuge's challenge on FM08. :)

MarkTrevor
29-11-2008, 18:13
I'm starting this one seeing as 09 won't work \o/

jayboywonder
29-11-2008, 22:18
Thats it im going to dive in,can i just confirm.Go on holiday till june 2009?
Then choose one of the new promted teams>?,how do i know who they are?
Is this a really enjoyable challenge?

Any feedback is appreciated

roberto922
29-11-2008, 22:31
Are you on FM 09? If so please go to: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=2185782#post2185782

If you're on FM 08, you holiday to 19 June 2008, you can usually tell which are the promoted side by either looking at their domestic league history (which is usually empty for 07/08) or the last seasons table in the BSS/BSN and then check which sides are different on the new table.

Yes it is a very enjoyable challenge if you persist with it, the first season is usually the toughest but once you get past it it is fb.

Lastly good luck :thup:

P.S. If you are on FM 09 you save on June 24th.

Swindon69
30-11-2008, 11:14
I've decided to give the 08 challange another go - I was going well with Merthyr when my PC died and didn't want to have another go. To make it different from that I'm running the leagues for a few seasons so I don't know who to sign.

Swindon69
05-12-2008, 22:13
First season 2010/11
BSS - 11th
FA Cup - 2nd Qual Rd
SS - 1st Rnd
FA Trophy - 2nd Rd

Signed Billy Gison on a Free - sold him on for 100k.

Swindon69
13-12-2008, 10:22
Boreham Wood

Second Season 2011/12
BSS - 1st (Scored 115 goals)
FA Cup - 1st Rnd Proper
SS - 4th Rnd
FA Trophy - 2nd Rnd

canvey!!
13-12-2008, 11:13
You're posting on the wrong thread, sirdez24. FM09 version (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=62170) (although I'm sure you knew it was there, simply a mistake).
Good to see you managing Canvey Island, though \o/ :thup:.

Joe
14-01-2009, 15:20
Didn't see the challenge but have already won the Champions League as AFC Wimbledon, losing 12 league games in 7 seasons.

dipdees123
20-01-2009, 11:59
I may be being really stupid here, but i've got a few quick questions.

1) I holiday until 24th June 2009 right?

2) Then i retire the manager i created, and make a new one.

3) How do i make his experience sunday league

THANKS!

minisav
20-01-2009, 15:53
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) There should be a bit that says past experience. Click that to get a combo box and choose Sunday League, if unavailable use automatic.

And btw, you want the 09 version of ths challenge which is here. (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=62170)

oxfordbstmanager
26-01-2009, 11:30
im stuck on who to buy atm on fm 09 im manager at oxford and i loaned paris cowan hall from portsmouth umm darren holloway 4 free and paull gerrard and micheal oakes and i need help now

happy slappy
26-01-2009, 11:32
im stuck on who to buy atm on fm 09 im manager at oxford and i loaned paris cowan hall from portsmouth umm darren holloway 4 free and paull gerrard and micheal oakes and i need help now

Maybe you should ask in the Good Team and Player forum, you'll get a better answer there.

alex92100
31-01-2009, 02:29
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3725/20092010yi0.jpg
By alex92100 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/alex92100) at 2009-01-30

Thought I'd give this a go. Heres how i did first season, got lucky on the last few games and god knows how I managed to win the league :eek:

Heres to a struggle to survive in the BSP :D

minisav
02-02-2009, 17:40
http://community.sigames.com/images/si/misc/subscribed.gif dafuge's FM09 challenge (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=62170)

salkster2102
02-02-2009, 18:13
crewe proved too big an obstacle for but at least i only lost 1-0. the anooying bit was the penalty. think i will warn the player who conceded it. got 100k for it though thanks to the tv crew :D

wisla_krakow
01-03-2009, 19:41
Gone back to this again!

Don't think this will be the season for Billericay, mainly as we're not even in the Champions League yet! However, we're currently 4th in the Premiership with 27 games gone, 2 in hand over 3rd place Arsenal so a chance to gain a spot with a few wins. The FA Cup is going well aswell this year, we've reached the Semis following a 4-2 win over Newcastle and a 1-0 win over Villa in the last two rounds.

The best news though is in the UEFA Cup, where in the knock-out rounds we've produced two giantkillings so far :cool:! Ajax fell first 4-2 on aggregate, with an excellent 3-0 home win in the first leg. However, even better was the next round, where AC Milan were defeated! The first leg was brilliant, beating them 4-3, with central midfielder Mark Mensah completed a first-ever hat-trick with a stoppage time winner. Following mad fist pumps and celebratory arm wavings, I progressed to the second leg, where we beat them yet again 2-1 at the San Siro, though not without fortune, they had a defender sent off at 1-1, before Richards expertly heading into his own net. Bring on the next team!

dj clark boy
17-04-2009, 13:35
cool im going to give the 08 one a shot then just my pc can only cope with 08

rent_boy11
02-09-2009, 14:49
im on holiday thing and want to get started

canvey!!
02-09-2009, 17:26
What inspired you to take the name 'rent boy'?

Martin_
03-09-2009, 12:07
I'm more worried about the fact that there's at least ten more of 'em ;)

Rossyboy10
03-09-2009, 15:51
im on holiday thing and want to get started

You do know this is the FM08 version of this and not FM09.