strategy and tactics...

whats the best strategy to have? My position is im real madrid, im defending la liga and the champions league, but im not doing so well this season. i seem to concede more and score less. i usually play contain or attacking. any tactical advise?

Contain or attacking? That's not ideal. You're going from almost one extreme to the other.

You need to alternate between several depending on situation.

Contain is "all out defence". At no costs should you concede a goal. Your players will all drop deep and try and form a shield in front of the goal. It will be rare for you to have to use this- if you are a small team clinging onto a lead against a much better side, for example.

Defend is slightly less defensive. The team will still be defensive, but it there is a chance to attack, some players may still take it. Good for riding a storm for a few minutes.

Counter is interesting, and one you should look to use often, especially if it rains. It's primarily defensive, but encourages counter attacking, so you'll still threaten going forward if you have the right players.

Control is another interesting one. Use when leading, with one eye on not conceding, but still wanting to be attacking. Your team will focus on keeping possession, moving the ball around, and tiring the opposition. I suggest you use this as your starting strategy at home to teams as good or only slightly worse than you, and away to mid-table teams. If you are leading in the second half, I suggest switching to this strategy and then changing to a more attacking one after 10-15 minutes to try and grab an extra goal. However, if it's raining, I strongly suggest using counter instead, as possession football does not work in the wet.

Attacking is the strategy I suspect you'll see the most of. At home to mid table and below sides, and away to the real strugglers, you should be using this as your starting strategy. It's also good if you need to grab a goal to get a draw or win, and control or counter aren't working for you on the day.

Overload is the opposite of contain. Go for it. Kamikaze. Do or die. You're throwing men forward, desperately hoping to get a goal. Not recommended for use before the last 10 minutes or so. Your players will tire easily.

If in doubt, use standard, and watch the whole match until you can decide which strategy to use.

Archived