When playing FM, do you stick to your real-life tactical principles?

In other words, when you are playing FM, do you make your team play in the same style that you would use if you were really a manager? For example, if you believe in four at the back as the best formation in real-life football, would you play three at the back, just because you can make your team play better that way in FM?

Personally, I like to stick to my principles; 4-1-3-2, and everyone apart from the 2 central defenders getting forward at every opportunity. I always play this formation, and only change if I'm losing with ten minutes to go, and need more forwards on the pitch.

I stick to my 4-4-2 diamong attack, no matter what patch or version is in.

If I start loosing due to patch or version of game, then there is something wrong with the game, because the game itself should not dictate what tactic I should use.

I'm starting my coaching badges this summer.

While I admire the "Arsenal" school of playing the game, in fact I am utterly in love with Total Football, I realise its limitations, which is reflected by my teams on FM, which are quite rigid, with big strikers.

i play a 4-2-3-1 formation and its in line with me RL tactical principles.

however i do addapt sometimes to the circumstance of a given game or when taking on a new club to the positions of the players in that club until a time when i can go back to my formation by selling and buying new players.

Total football :thup:

I don't feel comfortable playing unattractive football. While discipline is obviously key, freedom and creative freedom is crucial - much more so than the formation or individual roles imo. When I can I always like to playing free, attacking and fluid football, while sticking too to the principles of attack as the best form of defence, and that the opposition can't score if they don't have the ball.

About 130 games unbeaten in all competitions with Atletico right now so I'm doing something right. :thup:

Total football :thup:

I don't feel comfortable playing unattractive football. While discipline is obviously key, freedom and creative freedom is crucial - much more so than the formation or individual roles imo. When I can I always like to playing free, attacking and fluid football, while sticking too to the principles of attack as the best form of defence, and that the opposition can't score if they don't have the ball.

About 130 games unbeaten in all competitions with Atletico right now so I'm doing something right. :thup:

As I said before, I love the notion of Total Football, but you need 10 outfield geniuses in your team to be able to pull it off as well as Rinus Michels teams did.

My principle is to try and get a tactic that best suits the team and gets decent results. For example, my Ton Pentre team had some good ball winning midfielders, attacking mids and some fast strikers (for Welsh Premier) as well as a 38yro big man. I played 4-3-1-2 (with wingers), whilst with my Chippenham team I'm experimenting with a 4-4-2 defensive in pre-season. The one thing I will never drop is the idea of a poacher on the left hand side slot, in 4 games I've always had one.

Very cool! As it happens, I'm a UEFA "B" Licence coach. If it wasn't £3,000 to do my "A" - or there were jobs currently in that industry - I'd have done that, too!

I have my uefa B licence since 2007 , i didn't get my uefa A because i was out of time. Next season will be my 8th season as Youth coach. Are you training a team ?

I have my uefa B licence since 2007 , i didn't get my uefa A because i was out of time. Next season will be my 8th season as Youth coach. Are you training a team ?

I can't spare the time to train a team voluntarily, I'm afraid. :(

Archived