You need 8 home grown players for domestic league now?

It's my second season on patch 10.3. First season, there were no problems with anyhting like this, but now, beginning of second season, when it asks for "squad numbers" for the english premier league, it's not letting me put numbers on 25 players unless there are 8 english/home grown players. i dont have 8 home grown players, so i had to only register 17 players, and leave 8 players blank. now i can't play like 10 of my other players because they're "unregistered." Since when could u only play 25 players in the premier division? since when do u need 8 home grown players for it?

this is just supposed to be for the champions league, no? What is up with this and how do i fix it? is it a bug or did they actually make this the rule for the EPL in real lief?

Everyone agree that its accurate?

And is it just that i have to have 8 home growns registered, and then i can play 30 or 40 or however many other players over the course of the season?

Or is it I have to have 8 home growns, and then i can only play 17 other players, 25 total, all season long?

Everyone agree that its accurate?

And is it just that i have to have 8 home growns registered, and then i can play 30 or 40 or however many other players over the course of the season?

Or is it I have to have 8 home growns, and then i can only play 17 other players, 25 total, all season long?

Yes it's correct.

You can only play the 25 registered plus any U21's as they don't need to be registered.

Wow this is a huge problem for me. None of my players are home grown, meaning I'm stuck with 17 players all year long. if 6 get injured i wont even have a squad.

To be fair, it's a UEFA initiative to discourage squads like this.

Do remember that players Under 21 at the stated date, do not have to be registered, so buy your self some wonderkids and get them in the squad. They have the advantage of also becoming home grown after the 4th (?) year.

Who are you playing as? You must of had a huge clear out and brought lots of Jonny Foreigners last season, beginning of this one?

I believe I am right in thinking you could buy/loan 8 players from other FA clubs to fill in the gaps. To be homegrown they don't have to have come through the ranks of the club you are at.

I believe I am right in thinking you could buy/loan 8 players from other FA clubs to fill in the gaps. To be homegrown they don't have to have come through the ranks of the club you are at.

Aye, that's right; the "Trained at club" requirement is only for the Champions League and Europa League.

Yeah i just dont pay attention. i go after the players i liek the most that are available regardless of their nationalities, and none of them are english as it turns out. all the top tier english players for the most part are on chelsea/man utd.

It's just very problematic for me and i wish it wasn't in the game. maybe in real life its fine, but in FM everyone's getting injured constantly because they didn't make a perfect game obviously.

I have a very small squad, I struggle to fill my 25 places every season and I have no problem with injuries (touch wood) so I would look at your training and the condition of your players at the start of a match. If they are constantly starting matches at 87-92 condition then you need to lower your training a notch or two to let them recover.

Or it could be bad luck and you have signed a load of Jonathan Woodgates.

It's to encourage those highly successful English teams to actually have a high English element. Man U and Chelsea, I think, are okay, but Arsenal and Liverpool should be off shopping in the summer.

Actually, you've got two teams the wrong way round. Man Utd are fine, and Liverpool are very stretched for it (when the rule was officially announced, Rafa was fuming, since I think Liverpool at the time only had 8 or 9 players who would be classed as "home grown" at the start of next season), but it's actually Chelsea rather than Arsenal who'd also barely make the cut. Arsene's history of buying teenagers all the time means that almost all of his players are "home grown" even though they're actually from all over the world - he buys them when they're 16 and they're "home grown" before they're out of their teens. Arshavin's one of the few who's not counted as home-grown. Chelsea, IIRC, had 9 or 10 home grown players when the rule was announced (and that was before they'd had their transfer ban lifted, which would have made things interesting for them if that hadn't been lifted :p)

It's the fact that Arsenal will be able to field a completely foreign side while still sticking entirely within the bounds of the ruling that makes this rule such a farce.

25 players to register is also not enough imo, i've said it before but 30 would be a better number over the course of the season.

well spain have had a limit of 25 plus kids for a while now and competed in the champs league so i guess this is why the prem league chose 25.

well spain have had a limit of 25 plus kids for a while now and competed in the champs league so i guess this is why the prem league chose 25.

Only Barca/Madrid every year though usually. Infact Madrid haven't even done that well in recent years.

FWIW:

Liverpool have Gerrard, Carragher, Johnson, Pacheco, Kelly, Spearing and Darby who have played a role this season. I'm certain I've forgotten some obvious people. Lucas? Plessis?

Chelsea have Terry, Lampard, Cole, Cole, Turnbull, Mikel, Kalou, Kakuta, Sturridge, possibly Anelka? and a number of other kids, notably Cork and Manicenne who are on loan at PL clubs. They make it easily.

25 players to register is also not enough imo, i've said it before but 30 would be a better number over the course of the season.

25 is more than enough, I regularly register squads below 25 (and at the moment, a few of the players I am registering are so young they don't need to be registered). Even with a squad of 25, it's hard to have every player play as much as they want.

It's the fact that Arsenal will be able to field a completely foreign side while still sticking entirely within the bounds of the ruling that makes this rule such a farce.

I wouldn't say its a farce. I think the idea of the rule is to stop teams with billionaire owners attempting to buy success (just like the original poster, who surprisingly enough, finds this ruling a major problem) encouraging them to bring players through their own youth system. So wether or not Arsenal can field a team of foreigners and still stick to the rules is besides the point. If Arsenal were to win the league, even without fielding a single English player. They would have won it from the ground up. With 70-80% of their squad winning the league with the club at which they learned their trade.

Who wants a league where the team with the richest owner wins. It makes football about as interesting as reading the Sunday Times rich list.

all the top four are fine, if they didn't have at least 8 home grown players, they wouldn't be able to compete in European competition in these past seasons. I'm not sure which club but i think this rule forces big squad clubs selling few of their players this summer to accommodate the maximum 17 over-21 non-home grown players.

Having played past the second seasons in the PL numerous times, I don't think this rule have a major impact at all.

Archived