Do you Guus?

So my question is do you ever take control of a league club on a short term basis, like Guus Hiddink did with Chelsea whilst managing a national team?

After taking control of the England U21's and rejecting a few offers from clubs earlier in the season I decided I'd try a Guus and help Sheff Weds avoid relegation (took control mid Feb with them in 22nd), they offered a 3 year deal but I changed it to the end of the season with no intension of renewing it and so far so good as they are now 14th, 8 points off the Play-offs. :thup:

So my question is do you ever take control of a league club on a short term basis, like Guus Hiddink did with Chelsea whilst managing a national team?

After taking control of the England U21's and rejecting a few offers from clubs earlier in the season I decided I'd try a Guus and help Sheff Weds avoid relegation (took control mid Feb with them in 22nd), they offered a 3 year deal but I changed it to the end of the season with no intension of renewing it and so far so good as they are now 14th, 8 points off the Play-offs. :thup:

I've done it the other way around. I took the Nigeria job. Won the African Nations, came 4th at the World cup then resigned. Took the Croatia Job, qualified for Euro, Came 2nd, resigned. Took the Italy Job ;)

On FM09 I did a very similar thing; I was manager of England, but Wednesday needed me, so I joined them to save them from relegated; but I had no intention of leaving them and stayed with them for the majority of that game.

On FM10 I am like Hiddink in that I have controlled 4 different national teams for 4 different international tournaments. Including Ivory Coast for the 2010 World Cup (which is what Hiddink *was* on the verge of doing).

I resigned from Man Utd and took charge of Sunderland who had been relegated the previous season (Championship Sides are fun to manage). Had a one year deal and got them into the Premier League again then Juve job was open. I joined them at the end of the season on a 3 yr deal. :)

I do this quite often, especially in non World Cup/Euro Championships seasons. In one of my old saves, I was England manager and in 5 seasons had managed 5 different clubs from around December/January to end of the season.

It keeps National saves interesting.

I do this with the national teams. Taking on a national team long term is just too disruptive for me as I generally like to concentrate on club, but if an opportunity comes up to take over a national team in time for a major tournament in the very next summer I will take it and then quit after the tourny.

I did, was somehow suckered to be the England manager and took the Bayern Munich job with 15 games left who were on the brink of relegation. Got them in the CL though for the next season and didn't renew the contract.

Did exactly the same thing with Brazil. Strangely, they sacked their manager 2 games into the group stage of the World Cup Finals. They offered me the job which I took. I made it through the group stages, went onto win the competition, bagged the points for the Hall of Fame and then resigned. Job done.

Archived