Does height affect winning headers?

In fm08 and FM09 i used to look at a players height, as well as jumping, strength, etc, to tell how good he is at winning headers in the game. I figured whoever won the header would be like his height, then how high he jumps on top of his height, and whoever's head is highest in teh air will win it, and then strength also plays a part, etc, but then people on this forum told me that the match engine does not take height into consideration, just jumping, strength, etc.

Basically what they said is a 150CM tall player with 20 jumping, 20 positioning, and 20 strength will be just as good at winning headers as a 190CM tall player with 20 jumping, 20 positioning, and 20 strength, even though that wouldnt be true in real life.

So is that still the case? height means nothing in the game? Or does it count in the match engine?

I think height is just cosmetic in the ME. But generally a big player will have the required stats so they are effective in the air.

It makes sense as otherwise the ME wouldn't be able to take into account a smaller player gaining half a yard to intelligently win a header, like Tim Cahill does despite being a smaller player. If the ME took height as a key factor in heading, then you'd just stick two 190cm strikers up and whip in crosses all day every game, knowing they'll win every single one!

That's what I think anyway - I may be wrong.

If the ME took height as a key factor in heading, then you'd just stick two 190cm strikers up and whip in crosses all day every game, knowing they'll win every single one!

But why? Barca, Man Utd, etc aren't just sticking two 190cm strikers who aren't good at everything else up front...

I'm asking because if you look at a player like Naldo, for instance, it says he has 198CM height AND 20 jumping. Now maybe in real life he only has 15 jumping, but to compensate for his high height that the ME doesnt count, they put 20. But if it relly does take height into account, then that would make Naldo the most dominant aerial presence in the game.

Height should mean something. It's pretty vital to the related stats. For example, someone who's 5'6 could never outjump Naldo even if the first play had 20 jumping and Naldo 10. Otherwise, the guy who's 5'6 should be playing basketball since he can jump crazy high. :)

Height is integrated into the Jumping attribute. Thus, as a youngster grows his Jumping will increase. I'm not saying Jumping = Height because it also includes how much spring the player has; I'm saying it's in the Jumping attribute so you don't need to take height as a separate stat into consideration.

Height is integrated into the Jumping attribute. Thus, as a youngster grows his Jumping will increase. I'm not saying Jumping = Height because it also includes how much spring the player has; I'm saying it's in the Jumping attribute so you don't need to take height as a separate stat into consideration.

Actually now when I compare the heading stats of smaller players to taller ones this fits very well - note taken!

I believe height is purely cosmetic. It's jumping, strength, etc that determine how often your player wins a header

Height isn't purely cosmetic, as IIRC it affects the maximum (and possibly minimum?) value of the likes of the jumping stat. You're never going to find a midget who's got 20 jumping. Look at Tim Cahill - he's well-known for being brilliant in the air despite his height, able to jump up with defenders who dwarf him, and I think he's 'only' got a 19 for jumping, whereas if he was just an inch or two taller then he could well have a 20. Off the top of my head (no pun intended), if you do a search for people with 20 for jumping the vast majority of them will be over 6', and I think the smallest people with it are either 5'9 or 5'10, and I think Cahill's 5'8, so he only just misses out on the threshold for 20 jumping.

But while that's known about, I wonder if a person's weight is known to affect any stats...can a player have 20 pace/acceleration/stamina/whatever if he's on a diet of pies and pints? :D

In fm08 and FM09 i used to look at a players height, as well as jumping, strength, etc, to tell how good he is at winning headers in the game. I figured whoever won the header would be like his height, then how high he jumps on top of his height, and whoever's head is highest in teh air will win it, and then strength also plays a part, etc, but then people on this forum told me that the match engine does not take height into consideration, just jumping, strength, etc.

Basically what they said is a 150CM tall player with 20 jumping, 20 positioning, and 20 strength will be just as good at winning headers as a 190CM tall player with 20 jumping, 20 positioning, and 20 strength, even though that wouldnt be true in real life.

So is that still the case? height means nothing in the game? Or does it count in the match engine?

Ok, a few misconceptions in this thread so to clear it up.

A) Jumping in the ME is how high a player can get his head off the ground. This includes his height and any extra distance he can get. So players with the same jumping attribute can reach the same level in the air even though their heights could be different.

B) I believe the above to be true for older versions but now height does feature in the ME. When the ball is in the air a players height is used to determine if he has to jump for the ball or not. If he has to then the jumping attribute is brought into play as well.

B) Not sure about that, Cougar. I know Paul said some such about Height being used in the ME, but I'm pretty sure that just relates to animation selection.

:confused:

I was under the impression he was definitely referring to the ME and not just the graphics.

I'll try to find his comment again......

Height isn't purely cosmetic, as IIRC it affects the maximum (and possibly minimum?) value of the likes of the jumping stat. You're never going to find a midget who's got 20 jumping. Look at Tim Cahill - he's well-known for being brilliant in the air despite his height, able to jump up with defenders who dwarf him, and I think he's 'only' got a 19 for jumping, whereas if he was just an inch or two taller then he could well have a 20. Off the top of my head (no pun intended), if you do a search for people with 20 for jumping the vast majority of them will be over 6', and I think the smallest people with it are either 5'9 or 5'10, and I think Cahill's 5'8, so he only just misses out on the threshold for 20 jumping.

But while that's known about, I wonder if a person's weight is known to affect any stats...can a player have 20 pace/acceleration/stamina/whatever if he's on a diet of pies and pints? :D

I was talking in terms of whether height has any effect on winning headers in the ME. Like you said, there's probably a positive correlation between height and the jumping stat, but if I remember correctly height is purely cosmetic when the ME figures out the probability of a given player winning a header

Post 24 in this thread SCIAG he states the ME and not just the graphics.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=79212&highlight=jumping

I'm sure there was a more recent post this year though as well.

That was the post I was thinking of.

"Jumping still decides how high they can get to the ball."

"Treating the ball as in the air" implies to me that it affects whether they need to jump, but if their jumping is too low to reach it, they simply won't.

How can I put this better:

For some reason, a 6'6 player has jumping 5, and he's up against a 5'8 player with jumping 9. A cross comes in. The 6'6 player thinks "no need to jump, I can head it in from a standing position". The 5'8 player thinks "bother, I'd better jump for that". The ME calculates that 9>5, creates a dice with 14 sides, rolls it, and hey presto, the 5'8 has probably won the header (obviously position, momentum, bravery, concentration and such need to be factored in).

Height should mean something. It's pretty vital to the related stats. For example, someone who's 5'6 could never outjump Naldo even if the first play had 20 jumping and Naldo 10. Otherwise, the guy who's 5'6 should be playing basketball since he can jump crazy high. :)

Nate Robinson, maybe? :D

Archived