Windfalls for little AI clubs

In my game in the FA Cup I get draws where non-league sides are drawn away to the likes of Manchester United and go on to get spanked 10-0. They will of course have gone away with a veritable fortune from the gate proceeds and TV money.

A couple of years ago in real life, Exeter made a fortune as a Conference side in drawing Man U, holding them to a 0-0 draw before losing the replay. The proceeds massively helped their financial situation and aided them to go on to get 2 successive promotions.

Now, I've never monitored this, so I'm curious to know if anyone has. In FM, has anyone noticed an AI non-league or lower league side get a big windfall from an FA cup tie and go on to invest it in better players and boost their long-term fortunes, or do they never use the money for transfers and wages to improve the team? Just wondering if this is a blind spot in the AI or not. Maybe the Dafuge Challenge crew could shed light. :)

I'm slightly curious as well, but I think that results could be skewed somewhat by the perfectly possible scenario of the team having massive debts. If your club's X hundred thousand pounds in the red and you get an away draw against a Premiership side, you're hoping to get enough money from the tie to get you back into the black. Anything more than that is just a bonus. Say your team's £200,000 in debt and you get £250,000 from the FA Cup tie...you're now £50,000 in the black but the board might only let you have £10,000 of that to spend on new players (if they let you have any of it)

Exeter were kind of in that situation, but they got (IIRC) close to a million quid for their Man U encounters which more than covered their debts.

But really I'm asking if small teams in FM who are maybe 100K in debt or just about breaking even and get say a half million from a cup tie, substantially strengthen their squad and subsequently achieve significant success on the field. Obviously human-controlled sides will, but how about the AI?

Archived