FM 11: realism AI transfers

This issue has already been raised a couple of times (I apology for any déjà vu effect:)), but since patch 10.3.0 hasn't offered a satisfying solution either; I hope it can be looked into for the next edition of the game. The current AI transfer system keeps causing a large amount of unrealistic moves. The two most prominent phenomenons still are:

- 'Smaller' clubs (from the top-divisions as well) signing lots of old players (thirtysomethings), many of them free agents. Obviously, there's no rational reason whatsoever for that: players like those have long past their career peaks and do little more than weigh on the budgets. There's also a global tendency to focus on homegrown talent, both for budgetary reasons - we've all noticed the past few transfer windows have been fairly calm, due to the global economical situation - ánd because many leagues oblige clubs to use increasingly more homegrown players. Why waste money and playing opportunities on often foreign thirtysomethings, who irl would either prefer to stay in/return to their home country or choose to end their careers in an exotic, low level league that offers huge salaries? Football clubs - the dubious exceptions being the likes of Real Madrid or Man City - seem to have adopted financially more responsible transfer policies, with a logical focus on (homegrown) youth. I think that real life situation should be more adequately reflected in the game.

- The other phenomenon: many mediocre players are still making moves to clubs that are way out of their league. Let me emphasize that is nót a subjective matter: I'm talking about players that irl would never attract the interest of clubs of that level (or from that country) - a reasonably good example: I've seen Brian Jensen being followed by Atlético Madrid. Once again, the players involved aren't the youngest anymore - so there's not a chance left of any growth margin either. I'm sure the transfer simulation area is one of the hardest to get spot on, but I do believe there's still room for improvement when it comes to realism.

not sure the 1st ones a real problem. A lot of clubs will sign older players just for how the exp can effect a match. I am sure Gateshead would love to sign a semi fit Shearer. Yes it's an OTT but you get the idea.

As for the 2nd point yes I agree this should be improved on.

not sure the 1st ones a real problem. A lot of clubs will sign older players just for how the exp can effect a match. I am sure Gateshead would love to sign a semi fit Shearer. Yes it's an OTT but you get the idea.

As for the 2nd point yes I agree this should be improved on.

" I am sure Gateshead would love to sign a semi fit Shearer." I do can image that one,actually;). But I've also noticed it's most of the time foreign (often South Americans, it seems) former internationals joining smaller teams. For instance, in Belgium, one of the smaller first league teams signed a former Brazilian international of 34 (if I recall correctly). Chances of that happening irl are zero - I'm sure he'd prefer a more lucrative (and sunnier:)) career-end.

But not as frequently as in FM, surely. I agree on what you said about smaller clubs wanting to gain some experience on the pitch, but in that case they tend to look for players who have experience in their particular league. What's most likely to happen, is that a player with such a high reputation would choose to end his career at a foreign club where he can cash in (like Rivaldo, for instance) or that he'd return to his home country (e.g. Roberto Carlos). Those are the two most realistic options. The same goes for, let's say, former but lesser known Peruvian or Cameroonian internationals: a) it's likely they'd return to a club in their own country or sign a lucrative pension deal in Dubai or some place, and b) it's unlikely that smaller clubs that can't offer huge salaries or even an interesting footballing challenge would be able to attract players of that calibre (can't see the likes of Roberto Carlos wanting to fight relegation in Denmark or even France, really). And furthermore, in the current economical situation, clubs won't choose to spend a lot of money on players that no longer have a potential economical benefit either (try selling a player above 30 with the slightest bit of profit ...). Nowadays they'd opt to try and get some quality players out of their own youth academies.

Bolton under Sam Allardyce made a habit of it! Djorkaeff, Okocha, Campo and Jardel spring immediately to mind!

Bolton, an established Premier League team with an appropriate reputation, isn't exactly the kind of club I'm referring too. I also believe those transfers occured before the economic crisis (and perhaps because Allardyce himself could gain something from those signings;)).

'Smaller' clubs (from the top-divisions as well) signing lots of old players (thirtysomethings), many of them free agents. Obviously, there's no rational reason whatsoever for that

apart from the immense amount of experience they bring to a lower club looking primarily to survive, pretty sure anybody would pay quite a bit in wages if they could help in keeping a team up or raising the profile (Vincenzo Montella and Oli Dacourt, being a cottager, are a couple of examples).

apart from the immense amount of experience they bring to a lower club looking primarily to survive, pretty sure anybody would pay quite a bit in wages if they could help in keeping a team up or raising the profile (Vincenzo Montella and Oli Dacourt, being a cottager, are a couple of examples).

As stated, agree on the experience factor (although signing players like those is no guarantee for success: for instance, Dacourt's brief spell at Standard this season was a complete and utter disaster. Have to add that he was merely signed to help replace an injured player ánd because the club's director has a huge network in football. So not really a relevant example, but anyway). My point however is that most clubs nowadays - especially the ones you'd expect to be in need of extra experience to prevent failure - are financially struggling and thus not eager to sign old players (mind you: I'm not talking about loans). Also, there's often a too big discrepancy between the reputation of a player and the reputation of the club he joins (goes for both points in my opening post). Coming back to Dacourt, for example, everyone was already surprised he signed at Standard - as you probably know, the reigning Belgian champions, who've just made it to the 'Euro League' quarter finals too, so no crappy team. No-one could ever see him join a relegation candidate. And yet, thát's exactly what's possible in FM. Now, I don't know how many leagues most people play, but using a setting of 95 leagues from 46 countries, it becomes very clear unrealistic transfers like that still occur way too often.

And, alas, not only small or mediocre teams are affected: bigger ones complete highly questionable transfers too. Just one I've just spotted: Lille, a strong Ligue 1 team that surely doesn't needs any immediate reinforcements, signed a 34-year-old former Colombian international (five caps, but no experience in European football) called Arley Betancourt (I honestly have to say: never heard of the guy), for the position where the club already has Hazard, Obraniak, Larsen Touré, Gervinho, and some youth prospects if extra back-ups were needed. There's no logic in that at áll. And stuff like that happens all the time. Also in the 'Premier League': I have no idea why a well-equiped team like Fulham would urgently need a 35-year-old Stelios Giannakopoulos. And while we're speaking Belgian first league team AA Gent - a solid mid-table club - has signed one Rogerio, a Brazilian defender age 33 with 4 caps under his belt: a) they don't need him, b) he wouldn't want to come irl.

- 'Smaller' clubs (from the top-divisions as well) signing lots of old players (thirtysomethings), many of them free agents.

This is a research issue, there are many players in the db who are pushing 40, yet still retain a decent ability because the researchers haven't decreased their attributes. I think there should be some sort of a general cull of the database to remove the players who are 38, haven't had a club for 3 years and are most probably retired irl, but in the game still have a CA of 100+

This is a research issue, there are many players in the db who are pushing 40, yet still retain a decent ability because the researchers haven't decreased their attributes. I think there should be some sort of a general cull of the database to remove the players who are 38, haven't had a club for 3 years and are most probably retired irl, but in the game still have a CA of 100+

Good point, that would indeed be helpful. I suppose a stricter relationship between the reputations of players and clubs could be part of a solution too (so that old players who have a high reputation wouldn't want to join clubs/play in leagues with a significantly lower reputation). Remains the problem of clubs - both modest and big - completing unrealistic and often also totally unnecessary transfers.

As stated, agree on the experience factor (although signing players like those is no guarantee for success: for instance, Dacourt's brief spell at Standard this season was a complete and utter disaster. Have to add that he was merely signed to help replace an injured player ánd because the club's director has a huge network in football. So not really a relevant example, but anyway). My point however is that most clubs nowadays - especially the ones you'd expect to be in need of extra experience to prevent failure - are financially struggling and thus not eager to sign old players (mind you: I'm not talking about loans). Also, there's often a too big discrepancy between the reputation of a player and the reputation of the club he joins (goes for both points in my opening post). Coming back to Dacourt, for example, everyone was already surprised he signed at Standard - as you probably know, the reigning Belgian champions, who've just made it to the 'Euro League' quarter finals too, so no crappy team. No-one could ever see him join a relegation candidate. And yet, thát's exactly what's possible in FM. Now, I don't know how many leagues most people play, but using a setting of 95 leagues from 46 countries, it becomes very clear unrealistic transfers like that still occur way too often.

wasn't talking about standard at all :rolleyes:

It's well known and well-acknowledged by SI, so I imagine it'll be worked on.

So far in this thread there haven't been any tantrums on the subject, but I've seen so many "wah wah, how hard can it be to have a realistic transfer system" posts, I've started to despair a little.

Asking artificial intelligence, or a computer programme, to think with the same level of logic as a human being IS a huge ask.

It seems to improve with each edition/patch (eg, you rarely see teams buying 4 world class DMCs, and big teams now buy semi-decent youth players... just need to develop them now) so I expect some improvement, although I also expect to see a few odd ones too.

When I am in the lower leagues, I use players "past it" to get myself promoted quickly. On my game with Wednesday, it has resulted in me having to spent several years re-adjusting my squad for the Premiership; but the oldies got me into the division to begin with. Tim Cahill, Wayne Bridge and Gareth Barry were the main ones I think.

Yeah same here. I sign old players when I start a championship club because they normally are the highest quality players you can get without remortgaging your house. The fit right in because against most team in the league, they dont need as much athleticism. They are key ingredients to promotion in every game for me.

It's well known and well-acknowledged by SI, so I imagine it'll be worked on.

So far in this thread there haven't been any tantrums on the subject, but I've seen so many "wah wah, how hard can it be to have a realistic transfer system" posts, I've started to despair a little.

Asking artificial intelligence, or a computer programme, to think with the same level of logic as a human being IS a huge ask.

It seems to improve with each edition/patch (eg, you rarely see teams buying 4 world class DMCs, and big teams now buy semi-decent youth players... just need to develop them now) so I expect some improvement, although I also expect to see a few odd ones too.

Indeed, let it be clear: as said, I fully acknowledge the transfer system is one of the most challenging development areas. And you're right: with every patch there does seem to be some improvement, yet only to a - with respect - disappointing degree. The transfers issue still is thé main flaw in realism, imo, hence this lobbying thread:).

"When I am in the lower leagues, I use players "past it" to get myself promoted quickly. On my game with Wednesday, it has resulted in me having to spent several years re-adjusting my squad for the Premiership; but the oldies got me into the division to begin with. Tim Cahill, Wayne Bridge and Gareth Barry were the main ones I think."

"Yeah same here. I sign old players when I start a championship club because they normally are the highest quality players you can get without remortgaging your house. The fit right in because against most team in the league, they dont need as much athleticism. They are key ingredients to promotion in every game for me."

I could image a Cahill, Bridge or Barry over the hill joining Sheffield Wedn., because they have experience and a reputation in the club's country (plus Wednesday still has historical prestige too). But what you see most of the time is stuff like a 34-year-old Colombian choosing to end his career at a Norwegian bottom team, for instance, or some 35-year-old Mexican with no experience in England who'd join Wednesday.

And if you want to sign players like those, that's your own choice. I just don't like the AI to constantly do the same, because it's simply not realistic (and remember: it's not only struggling teams that are affected, although primarily those. Many AI transfers are simply inexplicable.). I suppose other gamers also like to immediately sign a handful of 16-year-old Brazilian top talents taking advantage of the 275K release clauses in their contracts, thus ensuring the future of their probably mediocre club. Not very realistic either, but that's the gamers' choice. I just wouldn't like to see the AI do the same.

Just witnessed a transfer that pretty well encapsulates everything that's wrong with the current AI system: Roque Junior, the former Brazilian international defender (48 caps), has signed a two-year deal with Belgian mid-table team Germinal Beerschot Antwerpen. So, apparantly, after a cash-in season in Qatar and his expected return home to his favorite Brazilian club Palmeiras at age 32, he has decided to add an extra year to his career in Belgium. :S

The above happened in a new game I've started, as usual not using tranfer budgets in the first window. After all, that should add to the realism because most clubs are supposed to show up at full strenght and with well-balanced squads at the start of the season, right? However, halfway August I've counted 34 (!) free transfers, made by both contenders for the title and relegation candidates in the Belgian first division. 26 of those involve players older than 28! I'm not even mentioning the four old chaps that were signed for free from - :S - amateur clubs. And also notable: not one single Belgian among them. Now, I'm using the Belgian league as an example, but no need to say I could've chosen any other league, because it's a global problem. I'm not going to repeat the economical, managerial and other reasons I've already mentioned above - point is: a huge percentage of the transfers made in 'Football Manager', which still is supposed to be a simulation game, are completely unrealistic and inexplicable from a real-life manager's point of view (okay, with the possible exception of Sam Allardyce;)).

I'm asking as a longtime fan, SI: while developing next year's version of 'Football Manager', would you please dedicate some energy to a thorough revamping of the AI transfer system, so the nagging on these forums about its lack of realism can finally come to an end (I, for one, am tired of raising the subject and having to read about it too). The last couple of years, a lot of attention seems to be going to the match engine - which is understandable, of course, since it's a novelty - but the transfers-aspect is right at the very core of the game. One should always make sure the basics are solid fírst. The way it is now, though, with an unrealistic plenitude of demonstrably unrealistic transfers happening all the time, the illusion of realism is gone once you've clicked 'Continue'.

Papa Bouba Diop to Inter on my latest save. I'm sure he'll have no problem beating off competition from Muntari and ousting the utterly useless Cambiasso from the team. Oh and they paid a pretty decent fee for him too. £11,000,000.

Papa Bouba Diop to Inter on my latest save. I'm sure he'll have no problem beating off competition from Muntari and ousting the utterly useless Cambiasso from the team. Oh and they paid a pretty decent fee for him too. £11,000,000.

Aah, the long-awaited rejuvenation of Inter's squad has commenced. ;):(

That amount of money for a 31-year-old (right?) alone just adds to the mystery.

Well they signed a useless Muntari and over the hill Viera in real life so is this next signing that strange?

Well they signed a useless Muntari and over the hill Viera in real life so is this next signing that strange?

Perhaps it wouldn't be if that kind of transfer were an exception instead of a rule in FM. (And then still, I seriously doubt Inter would be interested in a 31-year-old player who's nowhere near Vieira's international stature.)

Always amazed how some people are still in denial about this thing. Honestly, to say the transfer system in FM needs a lót of improvement when it comes to realism is stating the blatantly obvious.

I agree with the OP 100%! I would also add that lower league clubs easily sell their best players buying garbage instead for impossibly small prices. In most lower-league saves the "Major transfers"-list is dominated by sales of players. In turn, my team excluded, out of the 15 major transfers maybe one is a purchase the rest are sales of players! Compare this to even the Budesliga or Serie A and you'll see a huge difference! More often than not it's the exact opposite of what you see in lower leagues. This is quite annoying to be frank as it becomes a cakewalk to demolish the league year-in-year-out, the country's coefficient falters rapidly (hence, European success is nigh on impossible to achieve) and the game simply becomes less enjoyable!

what annoys me is that when i bid for players expensive players, but when i try to sell the same players after a few good season,s there value plummet to less than double of what i paid. furthermore, some times no clubs bid for them at all even though they are at the peak of there carerr

what annoys me is that when i bid for players expensive players, but when i try to sell the same players after a few good season,s there value plummet to less than double of what i paid. furthermore, some times no clubs bid for them at all even though they are at the peak of there carerr

It's possibly because they now on really high wages so not many teams can afford them.

Well these are players that as far as I know have had very successfull careers in Italy before. There should be a realistic chance that such tranfers happens IRL and in FM. I totally follow the point made in this thread. The aforementioned transfers would indeed be strange if the happened in for instance the Danish league.

I for one have also raised the subject with transfers, in particular with the Danish leagues, but I suspect this could be experiemced in many other leagues as well. Besides the issues already mentioned, the signing of old south americans to danish league clubs for instance, it has always been plagued by other annoying problems. For instance, the unrealistic amount spent by clubs on transfers, the countries where danish clubs buy players (IRL being mainly scandinavia, with some players coming from africa and eastern europe, and a few scandiniavians that have never made it in england or germany), and the ability to buy youngsters from all over europe, despite the fact that there is no chance in hell that 16-21 year olds from France, Spain or Italy would ever consider going to clubs in Denmark.

I really hope this changes in future versions, and I could find several solutions to some of the problems. One work around regarding the signing of older players could be to tie their reputation to the languages spoken. A former Brazilian national would be much more likely to sign with an Italian club if he has played in Italy before, as he would then have learned a bit of Italian, etc. A stronger focus should also be put on assigning countries to the specific leagues, to indicate where that league usually buys players from. And maybe scouting is in need of a revamp. I would like to see scouting affected to a larger degree by the club scouting knowledge of individual countries. It should take longer and be more expensive to scout a country, in corralation with the club's knowledge of that specific country. In contrast, regional scouting should be much quicker, but also be less in depth, than it is know.

This in my mind could help improve transfers in the game, but also add imensely to the realism!

The problem then comes when people play the GAME and get ****ed off that they can't sign anyone decent enough to get them out of League 1 for 5 years.

Now, agreed, that's realistic but I'm sure there are a lot of players who don't want to have that kind of simulation

Well these are players that as far as I know have had very successfull careers in Italy before. There should be a realistic chance that such tranfers happens IRL and in FM. I totally follow the point made in this thread. The aforementioned transfers would indeed be strange if the happened in for instance the Danish league.

I for one have also raised the subject with transfers, in particular with the Danish leagues, but I suspect this could be experiemced in many other leagues as well. Besides the issues already mentioned, the signing of old south americans to danish league clubs for instance, it has always been plagued by other annoying problems. For instance, the unrealistic amount spent by clubs on transfers, the countries where danish clubs buy players (IRL being mainly scandinavia, with some players coming from africa and eastern europe, and a few scandiniavians that have never made it in england or germany), and the ability to buy youngsters from all over europe, despite the fact that there is no chance in hell that 16-21 year olds from France, Spain or Italy would ever consider going to clubs in Denmark.

I really hope this changes in future versions, and I could find several solutions to some of the problems. One work around regarding the signing of older players could be to tie their reputation to the languages spoken. A former Brazilian national would be much more likely to sign with an Italian club if he has played in Italy before, as he would then have learned a bit of Italian, etc. A stronger focus should also be put on assigning countries to the specific leagues, to indicate where that league usually buys players from. And maybe scouting is in need of a revamp. I would like to see scouting affected to a larger degree by the club scouting knowledge of individual countries. It should take longer and be more expensive to scout a country, in corralation with the club's knowledge of that specific country. In contrast, regional scouting should be much quicker, but also be less in depth, than it is know.

This in my mind could help improve transfers in the game, but also add imensely to the realism!

You make some interesting suggestions there, mate:thup:.

I've come across quite a few threads dealing with the transfers issue, but I can't remember seeing anyone connected to SI post a reaction in one of those discussions. Makes me kind of worried whether this whole thing is actually being acknowledged as a problem (if not, I would find that quite astounding).

The problem then comes when people play the GAME and get ****ed off that they can't sign anyone decent enough to get them out of League 1 for 5 years.

Now, agreed, that's realistic but I'm sure there are a lot of players who don't want to have that kind of simulation

I presume those gamers' definition of the word 'simulation' isn't the same as the one in the dictionary, and in common knowledge, really. I'd like to be explained as well what exactly makes an easier game - in which you can boost your club from a second division relegation candidate to a Champions League quarter finalist within about a season or two - more (enduringly) enjoyable?

I presume those gamers' definition of the word 'simulation' isn't the same as the one in the dictionary, and in common knowledge, really. I'd like to be explained as well what exactly makes an easier game - in which you can boost your club from a second division relegation candidate to a Champions League quarter finalist within about a season or two - more (enduringly) enjoyable?

I agree, but in the same breath I'd ask what makes playing as an English league side, especially Premier League, enjoyable? It's personal preference.

I agree, but in the same breath I'd ask what makes playing as an English league side, especially Premier League, enjoyable? It's personal preference.

Perhaps SI should add an extra option to the 'New game' set-up, that allows gamers to choose between an Easier (with an unrealistic high number of unrealistic transfers) and a More Difficult (with a more realistic, thus lower number of more realistic transfers) gaming experience, due to irreconcilable differences amongst users;).

Seriously, though: the concers expressed above about the AI transfers have got less to do with personal taste than with a wish for the game to live up to its claim of being "the most realistic football management simulation". As already stated, I do realize that particular aspect is one of the most challenging development areas, but the improvements over the seasons have been very disappointing, although the problems are quite clear and concrete.

I suppose it should be tied into wages. It's realistic to think a youngster on 1-2000 a week would go to a Danish club if he was offered 10k a week plus a moderate signing on fee. The problem I guess is that if a player has that kind of potential a lower division club in his country would more than likely have spotted it and moved in for him if he didn't seem to have the ability to make it at the club he's at. Or a bigger club if he's a promising player at a small club. It seems like there's a bit more competition in 10.3 but still seems to be not enough for those gems that help you progress so fast. Whether chamipnship teams have higher reps than mid table teams in top division in Holland/belgium etc I don't know. Maybe under a certain age there could be a factor of the increase distance a country is away the less likely he'd want to go/ the higher signing ofee he'd expect (if it isn't this way already).

If the game makes other managers only buy players from certain areas then that is going to give the player an advantage as he'll be buying from all over.

I suppose it should be tied into wages. It's realistic to think a youngster on 1-2000 a week would go to a Danish club if he was offered 10k a week plus a moderate signing on fee. The problem I guess is that if a player has that kind of potential a lower division club in his country would more than likely have spotted it and moved in for him if he didn't seem to have the ability to make it at the club he's at. Or a bigger club if he's a promising player at a small club. It seems like there's a bit more competition in 10.3 but still seems to be not enough for those gems that help you progress so fast. Whether chamipnship teams have higher reps than mid table teams in top division in Holland/belgium etc I don't know. Maybe under a certain age there could be a factor of the increase distance a country is away the less likely he'd want to go/ the higher signing ofee he'd expect (if it isn't this way already).

If the game makes other managers only buy players from certain areas then that is going to give the player an advantage as he'll be buying from all over.

Concerning that last bit: that's when the gamer's self-discipline get's tested:).

Stirling Albion, then in the Scottish 2nd (3rd tier) signed former Brazil full back Evanilson, once of Dortmund. Can't imagine that one playing out in real life. Whilst the OP's second point is definitely an issue, I think that it's always been the case in FM and seems to have happened for as long as I can remember.

Arsene Wenger still loves to splash the cash on a 31 year old Michael Owen in my games. Always more than £10,000,000. Also seen him spend £20 mil on Kenwyn Jones too.

They should just have groups for ai managers - Wenger would be "promising youngsters" and "bargain hunter" so mainly buys youngsters with high potential but for not much money.

Benitez would be "Home Country" and "High Reputation" - so he spends lots of money on average Spanish players who are either past it or overrated.

Harry Houdini would be "Wheeler Dealer" and "Bargain Hunter" - so he looks to quickly get players out to fund transfer for player who have a good ability to price ratio.

Stirling Albion, then in the Scottish 2nd (3rd tier) signed former Brazil full back Evanilson, once of Dortmund. Can't imagine that one playing out in real life. Whilst the OP's second point is definitely an issue, I think that it's always been the case in FM and seems to have happened for as long as I can remember.

Indeed, it has always been the case. Actually, the transfer system has already come a long way (I remember a shocking player swap I was able to make while managing Standard, somewhere at the turn of the century: Frédéric Pierre - it's absolutely normal if you've never heard of him:) - for PSV's Phillip Cocu AND Arthur Numan:eek::)), but at the same time still has a long way to go when it comes to realism.

Real Madrid signed Craig Bellamy for £7,500,000, never registered him for any competition and never gave him a game. They also fought off competition from Inter and Barcelona to sign him. Real Madrid signed Heskey in another one of my saves, spending something around £8,000,000 on him.

Just thought I would share this because this seems like the place to do it

Real Madrid signed Craig Bellamy for £7,500,000, never registered him for any competition and never gave him a game. They also fought off competition from Inter and Barcelona to sign him. Real Madrid signed Heskey in another one of my saves, spending something around £8,000,000 on him.

Just thought I would share this because this seems like the place to do it

Once again, the AI transfer system taking Alan "You can't win anything with kids" Hansen's advice far too seriously.;)

• 1 year later...

Archived