Paying for a player over 48months....

Can somebody please explain as to why this can be so effective and how you can benefit from doing it? and also an example of how to do it??? e.g for a player worth 10million, what would you advise to offer upront, etc?

I see the subject mentioned alot but never quiet understood all the the hype, as some people call it 'cheating' :p

Thanks in advance

Usually, you have to pay double what you normally have to, when you buy players over 48 months. (Not always the case, but most of the time).

It is not cheating, as if you cannot afford to pay off the installments, your risking Administration, losing your job (due to poor finances).

A bit less than double, possibly - a 50% markup (or a little higher sometimes) should do it. Offer zero upfront (a quarter of the total is deducted from your immediate transfer budget anyway). I usually also offer 10% of profit on next sale and will go to 25%; this can sweeten the deal a fair bit.

Effective? Let's imagine you get players for an average of 60% markup. So buying a number of players that would have cost £50m, costs you £80m over 4 years. That's quite a bit more; but you only need a transfer budget in the first year of £20m, rather than £50m. That's why it's popular in the first season or two, when people want to get in a lot of new players; later (particularly if you've already spread a lot of payments, or your income has increased or you've had a takeover) you are generally buying fewer 'marquee' players each season, so may be able to afford to pay upfront.

Even if the markup were 100%, you're still using half the immediate transfer budget you would with upfront payments.

Gourcuff, Renato Augusto, Stephen Ireland all for £17.5m 48 months, Fabian Delph £15m, Di Maria £10m

Scratch that, I just this minute had a £15m/48 months offer accepted for Ireland on a new save :) I might have to lower it to £12.5m

Can somebody please explain as to why this can be so effective and how you can benefit from doing it? and also an example of how to do it??? e.g for a player worth 10million, what would you advise to offer upront, etc?

I see the subject mentioned alot but never quiet understood all the the hype, as some people call it 'cheating' :p

Thanks in advance

People who call it cheating are muppets, who know nothing about football. 99% of RL transfers are structured over time now.

I think the people who say that it is 'cheating' are talking more about the situation where you never really intend to play the save more than a couple of seasons and avoid ever facing the consequences of taking that approach. By spreading the payment over 48 months you can avoid the restrictions the board would normally put in place to avoid you bankrupting the club. So you can buy players that would normally be out of your price range, have short term success and then bail out before the finances inevitably turn pear shaped.

Having said that I think it is sad to say that looking at the state of a number of clubs today (and also the economy in general) that this approach is not particularly unrealistic!

I think that as long as you intend to follow the save through it is an entirely valid approach and one that reflects real life. However you need to be prepared to pay the consequences of overstretching yourself entirely, or of putting yourself in the position where any short term blip in success will have dire consequences for the club.

And having said all of that it is your game and you should enjoy it however you like...in a single player game there is no such thing as 'cheating' in my opinion.

Archived