3, 4, 3 = 5, 2, 3 = incompetence ??

My favourite style of football is 3 CB's, 4 midfielders, 3 central strikers

I played this way on CM4 for years quite happily.

Now on FM2010, I find I can put the players in the designated slots on the tactics screen, but no matter what instructions are given to the wide midfielders/wingers they NEVER line up 3, 4, 3, they pretend they are FB's instead and line up 5, 2, 3 thereby gifting midfield (and the lion's share of the match's possession)to the AI which usually plays a 4, 4, 2 formation.

Sure, i've been successful nevertheless and lost only 1 league game in 2 seasons, but it is NOT how I want to play. Whether I would have had even better results or worse with a 3, 4, 3 is irrelavant, what IS relavant is that 3, 4, 3 is how i want my players to line up, but they won't unless I put the widemen/wingers in the AML/AMR slots, but then my midfielders come up red because they are not able to play in that position

I never bought FM2009, but the blurb for FM2010 says it is 2009 with polish.

Polish ??

So you are telling me that after 2 combined years of development, 2 games, "testing" and 6 patches that NO ONE charged with the development and implementation of the game ever realised that the match engine CANNOT recognise 3, 4, 3 and therefore do something about it ?

If that's the case (and it would seem to be so since after all this time/implementation etc that 3, 4, 3, STILL = 5, 2, 3) then the biggest thing to be polished seems to be incompetence.

Yes I DO enjoy playing FM2010, it has a lot more playability and fairness than CM4 :thup:

Yes FM2010 far exceeds CM4 for looks, stats to keep a person interested, and many other areas, so hats and everything else off to the developers in those areas :thup:

But stats/better graphics/more options etc are just " fluff ", what matters the MOST in any game is the basics, and for the FM series THAT is recognising what players go where on the pitch and then playing the match according to those instructions.

Fluff :thup: Basics (very big) :thdn:

to be honest i don't understand what you mean. i hate 3-4-3 but many times i have used it and it works properly.

when either you or the opposition has the ball, when goal kicks for example are being taken, have a look where the 2 wide midfielders/wingers line up, it's never with the central midfielders, it's with the 3 CB's, so the wide midfielders/wingers pretend they are full backs, and i aren't the only one who has noticed this.

Only if the defence is 2 FB's and 1 CB in a 3 man defence, do the wide midfielders/wingers stay in their proper positions, but then you get ganked down the middle with just 1 CB.

It's an annoying thing. Where I really get fed up with it is when, because your wide midfielders have dropped too deep, you find you don't have a proper outlet for clearances. It makes 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 a pain to try and play.

are you sure you have set the proper instructions to your midfielders? because if the ML and MR have defending or even supporting instructions, it is natural for them to retreat

Whatever role you set them to, they will drop if the other team has the ball.

speople - if you feel this is a bug please file it in the bugs forum.

Whatever role you set them to, they will drop if the other team has the ball.

speople - if you feel this is a bug please file it in the bugs forum.

so WHY do they drop if your team has no FB's ? but stay where they are supposed to IF your team has FB's ?

It's like saying that I can't play 3, 4, 3 that i need to play 4, 4, 2 if i want to have 4 men in the middle.

Or do i have to go to the very extreme measure of firing up a FMRTE and changing my LM RM to AML AMR so that when they drop deeper they just drop to the ML MR positions :(

Like I said, i might have written complaining posts in the past etc, but I DO love playing the game otherwise i wouldnt spend 8 hours a day on it.

It is just extremely frustrating that my preferred formation doesn't exist in the eyes of the ME apparently.

so WHY do they drop if your team has no FB's ? but stay where they are supposed to IF your team has FB's ?

It's like saying that I can't play 3, 4, 3 that i need to play 4, 4, 2 if i want to have 4 men in the middle.

Or do i have to go to the very extreme measure of firing up a FMRTE and changing my LM RM to AML AMR so that when they drop deeper they just drop to the ML MR positions :(

Because they feel the responsibility to fill in the gaps that your tactic leaves, I imagine. It's still a 3-4-3 in my opinion, but only if you have the ball.

Again - the bugs forum is where you want to be if you feel it's an issue.

I'm not sure whether this is a disguised rant or just complaining about an issue you've already posted about, either way it's been closed.

If you want to bring this to the attention of SI, please report it in the bugs forum :thup:

Archived