Scouting goalies

I find it very difficult to decide which keepers to buy. (I'm not asking for advice, so i don't want a list of goalies to sign!) I get my scouts to have a look at what i would consider to be the best keepers on the game. The overall opinion I get when i get their reports is that it takes a lot from a keeper to impress a scout. E.g. i think Gomes and Stekelnburg look like they would be excellent signings, stats largely in the right place but the scout tends to say "Nah, Don't fancy him myself". however, if you get the scout to look at a winger with 10 for crossing and 8 for corners and 11 for pace, they'll wet themselves saying the player is the next Cristiano Ronaldo.

This discrepancy puts doubt in my mind and I always end up playing safe and buying Lloris or (if I can afford him) Akinfeev! I don't want to be buying the same players all the time. Does anyone else see this ambivalence towards keepers?

I find it very difficult to decide which keepers to buy. (I'm not asking for advice, so i don't want a list of goalies to sign!) I get my scouts to have a look at what i would consider to be the best keepers on the game. The overall opinion I get when i get their reports is that it takes a lot from a keeper to impress a scout. E.g. i think Gomes and Stekelnburg look like they would be excellent signings, stats largely in the right place but the scout tends to say "Nah, Don't fancy him myself". however, if you get the scout to look at a winger with 10 for crossing and 8 for corners and 11 for pace, they'll wet themselves saying the player is the next Cristiano Ronaldo.

This discrepancy puts doubt in my mind and I always end up playing safe and buying Lloris or (if I can afford him) Akinfeev! I don't want to be buying the same players all the time. Does anyone else see this ambivalence towards keepers?

I think my point is that potential is seen so much easier in other positions. I do consider all attributes for keepers, but scouts don't seem as excited by their potential, as say a winger or attacking midfielder

Ye i think the mental attributes are really important, obviously coupled with decent technical attributes. I tend to look for "commanding goalkeepers" , with leadership qualities who can help boss my defence.

As for scouting, I would agree the scouting system needs more work in FM. It's very hit and miss, I do uses scouts a lot (I don't use programs like FMSout etc) to bring players to my attention and to pretty much clear up Fog Of War, then make my decision based on their stats and performances.

Archived