A Suggestion for changing half time team talks and training.

At present you can make as many tactical changes during the course of a match as you like. You can change the formation ten or more times if you wish swapping player positions and changing their individual instructions each time.

In reality once the match has started managers are reduced to shouting instructions from the technical area and because of this their instructions have to be short to the point and basic.

At half time managers have only fifteen minutes to make any changes they want to the shape and style of the teams play and give words of advice and encouragement.

These constraints on a manager’s ability to influence his team once they’re playing are not adequately reflected in the game.

My suggestion is three fold firstly a revamp of training so formations mentalities marking schemes; tempos etc all have to be learnt in training. I.e. If you want to use two formations during a season you need to train the team for them. You can devote equal time to both but neither will get the maximum benefit. If on the other hand you devote all your training to 4-4-2 then the team will be very proficient in that formation but will suffer a significant penalty if you choose to go 3-3-4 when chasing a match.

Like wise marking do you train zonerly or man marking and do you train intensively on the marking system at the expense of other tactical options the offside trap, counter attacking etc.

My second idea is to limit the changes that can be made during a match to touch line shouts only and to restrict the tactical changes that can be achieved via them to less then the full tactical screen can accomplish. During the game you can shout at your back line to push up but not specify exactly how high the line should be.

My last suggestion is that the fifteen minute half time interval limits how much a manager can do and the game should reflect this by making every tactical change or individual team talk use up an allocation of time. I feel that would introduce a new tactical decision to the game do you spend time telling the full backs to close down higher up the pitch or do you put your arm around the nervous young keeper making his début and try and give him some confidence

Archived