Missed Out on world cup squad !!! :@

Carlton Cole had a great season for me scoring 26 all comp and 19 league goals he took me to the FA cup final single handed and lost in final. fans player of the year and missed out on world cup squad and took owen who didnt play more than 5 league games !! whats going on in capello's head. hes got 10 in 10 all comps this season

Don't a lot of managers do this IRL... They have favourites and no matter what any other player does, they don't get a look in.

I seem to recall that Maradona simply would not pick Higuain regardless of what he did on the pitch.

In all fairness, Owen has 10 in 10. Pretty much says, play him and he will score. Cole prob played 45-50 games so scored once every 2 games. Looking at it like that, its not that crazy really.

no carlton cole has 10 in 10

As if this would be the first instance of a player not being picked when everyone thinks they should. Ask Defoe or Bent what they thought of Walcott going to the 06 World Cup (I'm sure their opinion is the same as my own, what a joke). Or maybe ask Lippi why he didn't pick Cassano last season when literally all of Italy was clamouring for it. Should I go on?

As if this would be the first instance of a player not being picked when everyone thinks they should. Ask Defoe or Bent what they thought of Walcott going to the 06 World Cup (I'm sure their opinion is the same as my own, what a joke). Or maybe ask Lippi why he didn't pick Cassano last season when literally all of Italy was clamouring for it. Should I go on?

but i wanted him to go so badddddd lol :( get him to the next level

I dont get why this is so surprising. Andy Jonson and Kevin Phillips both had absolutely blinding seasons scoring a shed load of goals (21/30) ended up top scorer in the league in those seasons and between them they have 16 caps and 0 international goals.

1 season does not an international player make.

As with club managers, I expect AI international managers select players on a CA/PA basis, it's crap, but it;s been like that for a long while.

Great to have you back, Simon.

It also largely based on reputation, which Owen has a lot of and Cole doesn't.

I think its perfectly logical not to take Cole and take Owen instead, even IRL (If Owen was fit).

Think about it (Based on your season), a guy that has played nearly 50 games and has been scoring a goal every other game, but has done nothing yet at international level or a guy that hasn't played regularly this season, but has put the ball in the net a few times on the rare occasions that he's got onto the pitch or started? That has 40 goals for England in just over 90 caps? He's one player that is definitely not going to suffer from burnout so I see that as logical thinking......

I dont get why this is so surprising. Andy Jonson and Kevin Phillips both had absolutely blinding seasons scoring a shed load of goals (21/30) ended up top scorer in the league in those seasons and between them they have 16 caps and 0 international goals.

1 season does not an international player make.

one season put glen johnson in the england team so i would stop thinking your a real manager haha:p

As a Liverpool fan I sympathise with the OP, I am thinking almost every Liverpool fan would select Aquilani ahead of Lucas normally but Rafa has a love interest with Lucas

Now, I'm no fan of Lucas (looks like a slightly more ret*rded version of Craig Bellamy to me...lol) but I can see Benitez's reasoning behind playing him on some occasions. He is always prepared to get stuck in and puts in a good shift, even if he's not the most technically gifted player. But at the same time I think he needs to show some more faith in Aquilani.

Now, I'm no fan of Lucas (looks like a slightly more ret*rded version of Craig Bellamy to me...lol) but I can see Benitez's reasoning behind playing him on some occasions. He is always prepared to get stuck in and puts in a good shift, even if he's not the most technically gifted player. But at the same time I think he needs to show some more faith in Aquilani.

im a lfc fan myself and i see why he plays lucas but aquilani cost us 20m and this season we hav no reason to defend so lucas shud be on bench n get aqua on the pitch banging them passes n gettin goals lol :)

i have this french bloke called yabatare, had him since he was like 21, played him consistently under the guidance of the likes of granero, jamie oh hara and ronaldhino.

the bloke consistently got ratings over 7.00 and also got alot of assists and goals from an CAM position since he was 23. now he is 25, he won his first cap for france. i think it takes a while for the new guys to get selected.

one season put glen johnson in the england team so i would stop thinking your a real manager haha:p

the difference is england has more good strikers to choose from than right backs, besides owen brings international experience and had he stayed fit this season irl he probably would be headed for the world cup. Carlton Cole is more likely to get friendly games after that season to see whether he is good enough for international level he shouldn't just get thrown into the world cup.

Erm?

Care to explain? Who said what about being a 'real' manager? I merely pointed out that, like a lot of other players, 1 good season as a striker does not garantee an england place.

Kevin phillips

Andy jonson

Beatie

defoe

All of those strikers in recent years have had a very good season/ lots of pretty good seasons and still been over looked for england call ups (until recently for defoe). Conversely, emile heskey has had lots of very poor seasons and gets picked by every england manager.

So - my point was - just because the game has thrown up a good season for carton cole, does not mean he will get picked for england - its very like real life in that way.

What was your point exactly?

yeah but look at it now though, Capello says that he wont pick Owen because he isnt playing enough or in good form. when Walcott has just come back from injury rarely playing and in awful form for Arsenal, it does happen!

yeah but look at it now though, Capello says that he wont pick Owen because he isnt playing enough or in good form. when Walcott has just come back from injury rarely playing and in awful form for Arsenal, it does happen!

Yes...

It does happen.

Equally, however, it doesnt happen.

My point is, this isnt surprising, it happens all the time in real life.

I also really sympathise with the OP. No way should Owen be going to World Cup having only played 5 times this season at club level - that wouldn't happen IRL, fresh or not. Unless Owen had been out all season, then played the last 5 games of the season consecutively and scoring goals, looking sharp etc - that's the only scenario that would give him a chance IMO, IRL or in the game.

The FM international management IMO is pretty unrealistic. When fit Owen is probably a better striker than Carlton Cole. The FM managers will pick the best players for the nation thats available to them, not the most in form.

Chances are Rooney could play 5 - 6 games, score 3 goals (on FM) and still go to the world cup simply because he's better than others.

The FM international management IMO is pretty unrealistic. When fit Owen is probably a better striker than Carlton Cole. The FM managers will pick the best players for the nation thats available to them, not the most in form.

Chances are Rooney could play 5 - 6 games, score 3 goals (on FM) and still go to the world cup simply because he's better than others.

I disagree with this tbh. In last game I played I had Reniers from Willem II playing as a striker. Not the best player but my formation got the best out of him. He scored 18 first season and was called up for national team in second season after scoring 12 in 10.

Willem are a low mid table club and Reniers shouldn't be near the Holland squad looking at this stats. Purely form which got him there.

this always happens. Ben foster played 6 games in one season and when it came into the world cup sqaud capello chose him as one of the 3 goalkeepers and missing out P.Robinson, J.Hart and Kirkland who all played first team football 38 games a season, also they all had a better average rating than ben foster and the other 2 goalkeepers who were picked (green and james). I can understand green and james cause they did play fist team football but Foster got 6 games a season and not only did he get called up for the england sqaud but for the cheek of it he was also ENGLANDS NUMBER 1 LOL. FM makes me laugh at times.

Sometimes i think that the game just favours players practically saying because foster gets picked for england IRL so on the game he will get picked no matter what apart for the fact if he is injured and also because IRL Ben Foster was getting called up for england being UNITEDS number 3 but he certainly won't get called up for the world cup squad since capello did say he is only choosing players who play first team.

Archived