Guarding against complacency?

Scenario: Pick up the league title to do the double with the League Cup with 4 games to spare. Next two games are Utd away (who I beat 4-0 away in the CL quarters) and West Brom. I don't like Utd very much and would much rather see Villa take the final CL spot ahead of Utd, so rather than playing a youth team mix for the last few games, I decide to hammer home and go for a big points total. 3-0 up away at Old trafford at half time. End up drawing 3-3. Exactly the same thing happens at Brom. 3 up at half time. End up 3-3.

What's going on?! I'm playing a full strength team in both games, shooting out of the blocks and then throwing it all away in the second half. Is it to do with the other teams still having things to play for or what? Whatever it is my youth team probably wouldn't have thrown away 3-0 leads...

I think that might have played a part, but after I conceded the first I went to counter 'cos I figured they were probably going gung ho to try and get something out the game and made sure I got fresh legs on the pitch.

I only said 'pleased' for the TT and sent them out with exactly the same tactics.

"Pleased" is also know as the kiss of death half time team talk. I never ever use it and I was under the belief that very few people ever did.

Have you looked at any of the team talk guides in the Tactics and Training forum?

I try to avoid pleased as much as possible as I've seen people label it the kiss of death before, but it seemed appropriate at the time - and I didn't have too many other options...

I think you might be right about changes in formations. Both times the teams finished with 4 strikers and my fullbacks were still on support which may have had to do with it.

"Pleased" is also know as the kiss of death half time team talk. I never ever use it and I was under the belief that very few people ever did.

Have you looked at any of the team talk guides in the Tactics and Training forum?

That's ********. I use 'Pleased' team talk extensively and it has worked me most of the time.

I use "pleased" at half time all the time.

However, I wouldn't use it with players who have nothing to play for. They would probably have become complacent and lost concentration anyway, but still giving no teamtalk might have been a better option.

If you were really determined to get Villa that fourth spot, then you could have said "don't get complacent", but you'd run the risk of ****ing your players off, even if it would better ensure their concentration.

Archived