The Worst Things You've Done To A Player?

I had a key player who's contract was up in 6 months, and while I was trying to secure more funds to renew their contract, another team came and swooped up his contract.

So I did what any level headed general manager would do in this situation.. I placed him in the reserves, interacted with him telling him he needed a couple weeks rest, and dropped his training to zero (why waste my coaches time.. right?).

I was hoping he would say something in the press, but he kept quiet.

Yeah, it was my fault for not renewing his contract at the start of the season (lesson learned!).. but I don't regret it for sidelining him for 6 months!!

I usually do it one of two ways:

1. Send player to reserves, (many forgot to do this) untick 'available for reserves' so he doesn't get to play, and put him on no training.

2. Just started this recently. Pre-arranged transfer done with player demanding money to move. Fine, I'm held to ransom, have no choice but to do it. Put him on max physical training. He's an old lad. Tore his muscle lifting weights in the gym and out for 3 months.

And if I'm really ****ed with the player or club, I retrain them to a new position depending on the player's characteristics. MC with 'dives into tackles' and high aggression? Retrain as DC so he can give away penalties for his new club.

*evil grin*

I remember when you use to fine players for no reason... If I didnt like a player, I'd keep him in the first time squad list but just never select him for the first team.

Once a day I'd fine them two weeks wages, when they wanted to move I refused to let them. Often before doing this though I'd tie them down to a 4 - 5 year contract and just let them rot for that time :D

yeah i remember when you could fine people for no reason. i once fined a striker so ofted he must have owed me a few mil!

right now i have an isreal international in my team (liverpool). He rejected 3 clubs in the january window. he is in the reserves and on gk training retraining as a gk. i told the media i was deeply upset with his form (playing an average 7ish) and he says he is being forced out of the club. why are you still at my club then!?!

I only take action against players that won't sign new contracts or demand stupid money to stay, I freeze them out of the first team by sticking them in the reserves, I let them play for the reserves though just in case the're needed in an emergency.

I just wish that when players were whinging about lack of first team football I could say "sign a new contract and I'll play you"

Two incidents;

1. I was in Europe for the first time, and I had got to the quarter-finals of the Europa League. I'd drawn 1-1 away, and was holding the superior Liverpool team 0-0 at home. My CM had picked up a slight knock, so I subbed him for a very similar player... who took 30 seconds to get himself sent off, precipitating my inevitable defeat. I put him in the reserves (without being able to play for them), fined him 2 weeks wages, and offered him immediately to other clubs, a £1m deal to Notts County sorted out within a week.

2. My striker had been complaining all season about me refusing to sell him, so I eventually agreed to sell him to Siena for £14.5m, which was to be completed on the 2nd of January. On the 31st of December I had a league match, and despite this striker just coming back into light training after a hefty injury, I made him play the entire game.

When I took over Valencia I played most of a season with the squad they'd built up before I got there; at the end, though, I sold some of the dead weight. One of the players I sold was Sergio Garcia, who had Barcelona as a favorite club and moved there for 8.75 million. The fans loved the transfer, saying that they thought it was a smart bit of business considering how often he played and his age. Ultimately, this transfer would end up being the worst transfer of the season; I didn't know that at the time but found it ironic in retrospect.

I made that sale about five days before the transfer window closed, and pretty much immediately Renan (my goalkeeper) through an amazing tantrum. First, he was mad I sold Garcia and wanted to know if I was planning on using the money to buy someone better; as I'd already purchased players (the window was almost closed; this was just to balance the books at the end of the transfer market and give me some extra cash), I said no. Renan's morale dropped to "Very Poor", he demanded to be transfer listed, and played awfully in a friendly; stuck, I had to spend 30 million on Ochoa (spread over 48 months, which I didn't want to do) as a replacement...only to find that Renan wouldn't move to the only clubs that expressed interest in him.

So I just sat him. Gradually his morale improved, and around March he was back to "Superb" and had apologized...but now was whining about not getting first team football...to which I responded that he was superfluous and could be transfer listed. And then he apologized.

So now, three years later, he's still on my team, still being told he won't ever play for the first team, and kind of happy about it. I've gradually broken down and allowed him to play in cup matches, but he went a good two years without playing at all.

Played a network game back on CM03/04 where me and my mate raced to sign aaron lennon. I got him by bidding to leeds but as soon as he signed for me my mate offered him a contract and he would have moved to my mate's team at the end of the season. So I had a season to toy with him. New position = goalkeeper and believe it or not I turned aaron lennon into a goalkeeper just in time for him to sign for my mate's team :)

Wow some people are harsh :p

I just tend to put anyone I want to sell in the U18s and see if they get the message... loving the high physical/goalkeeping training solution tho - i'm going to create the schedule now - max on those three and nothing everywhere else!

To be fair, if the suggestion from another thread (that non-football related scandals should be put into FM11) comes true, then I think the future answer to "What is the worst thing you've done to a player" may have some entirely different answers...

Archived