Unbelievable: Injured in 3th minute, sent off in 5th minute

So this situation is actually very complicated and ironic.

I'm playing at home against Werder Bremen, it's the 2rd minute of the match and Carlos Eduardo is lining up to take a free kick, however he chooses to do it indirect and plays it off to Neymar, Neymar however gets dispossessed by Rosenberg and he's on the counter as the last man. In a last moment ditch to make up his mistake, he tackles Rosenberg who was fast approaching my keeper from behind. In this action, he gets injured and needs to be replaced. So i see Neymar being stretched off from the field, at this point, i made my substitution. However the referee went to the stretched Neymar who was lying outside the pitch and showed him a red card.

2gwt6i1.jpg

1ig4sk.jpg

I think this is unfair, at the moment a player gets injured, the manager should be given the opportunity to directly perform the substitution, if Neymars was red carded as a bench player, i would have found this acceptable.

Anyone ever encountered a situation like this?

He makes a red-card foul and you think you should be able to sub him? Of course not - he needs to go off for his foul, regarless of whether or not he injured himself.

If this wasn't the case, players could just get out of their booking by pretending to be injured.

Ive seen this happen IRL, I was watching Plymouth V Watford a couple years back and Peter Halmosi made a tackle, which resulted in him being injured, after 5 minutes odd of treatment, the ref decided his challenge was worthy of a red card and sent him off, so it can happen!

Ive seen this happen IRL, I was watching Plymouth V Watford a couple years back and Peter Halmosi made a tackle, which resulted in him being injured, after 5 minutes odd of treatment, the ref decided his challenge was worthy of a red card and sent him off, so it can happen!

Kyrgiakos - Fellaini earlier this season: Kyrgiakos was treated for a couple of minutes (on the pitch) before being sent off.

He makes a red-card foul and you think you should be able to sub him? Of course not - he needs to go off for his foul, regarless of whether or not he injured himself.

If this wasn't the case, players could just get out of their booking by pretending to be injured.

what he said. but from looking at your pic though should he just have recieved a yellow card? There was a player either side that could have easily covered

The foul is still a foul and deserves appropriate action before any sub can take place, regardless of whether or not he injured himself in the process. Otherwise every time a player makes a bad tackle they will feign injury and get subbed.

Okay, it may be fair. But it's kinda weird because i already requested the substitution in the tactics menu.

Not really, as at the time of the incident the substitution hadn't taken place.

Though of course there's nothing specific in the Laws of the Game saying that you can't substitute a red card player, and bring yourself back up to full strength (It used to be, until 1997 when the Laws were rewritten from the archaic language of 1900. Somehow the old rule of 'You can't substitute a player who's been sent off' fell through the cracks in that process.)

Is this in a parallel universe you are talking about?

The only times red-carded players get subbed is in friendlies when the ref tells the manager to substitute him instead of a sending off and that's always been the case.

Umm.. sorry - that was supposed to be a response to TwistedTwiddler.

Is this in a parallel universe you are talking about?

The only times red-carded players get subbed is in friendlies when the ref tells the manager to substitute him instead of a sending off and that's always been the case.

I'm guessing he was making a joke there.

No, this universe. The Laws of the Game do not specify that a red carded player cannot be substituted. They specify that a player sent off before kick off cannot be substituted, or a player sent off from the bench cannot be replaced, but there is no specific law saying that a player sent off from the field of play after kick off cannot be substituted. As the laws specify what can happen, anything omitted is allowed. I've been waiting for ages for Neil Warnock to take advantage of it.

No, this universe. The Laws of the Game do not specify that a red carded player cannot be substituted. They specify that a player sent off before kick off cannot be substituted, or a player sent off from the bench cannot be replaced, but there is no specific law saying that a player sent off from the field of play after kick off cannot be substituted. As the laws specify what can happen, anything omitted is allowed. I've been waiting for ages for Neil Warnock to take advantage of it.

Maybe it isn't written, but surely if you substitute a player who has been sent off, then the sub is the one who has to hang his head in shame as he walks down the tunnel for his early bath?

It's probably also not written that you can't hypnotize the opposition goalkeeper into thinking he is a chicken, but I've never seen a manager take advantage of that.

A player who has been shown the red card (whether directly or as a result of having been shown two yellow cards) is required to leave the field of play immediately and must take no further part in the game; failure to do so will result in forfeit of the game by that player's team. The player who has been sent off cannot be replaced during the game; their team must continue the game with one player fewer. If this causes the team to have fewer than the required minimum number players, then the match is abandoned. In addition, a red card usually results in additional sanctions, most commonly in the form of suspensions from playing for a number of future games, although financial fines may also be imposed. The exact punishments are determined by tournament or competition rules (not by the Laws of the Game). However, FIFA in particular has been adamant that a red card in any football competition must result in the guilty player being suspended for at least the next game without the right to appeal.

A player that has been sent off cannot be substituted as they are no longer part of the game from the moment the red card is issued.

Now lets get back on topic please

Did anyone hear about that Scottish player that got sent off 6 times in one match recently?

He got a two year ban after a red card and then another 5 red cards for verbal abuse of the referee.

Paul 'Santa' Cooper said "I honestly wasn't to blame for the incident that led to me being sent off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8521557.stm

Let's just take the situation a step further. Having called for the player to be substituted he then scores a goal as well as getting sent off. Would you expect the goal to be disallowed?

The goal would obviously stand and therefore so should the sending off.

Did anyone hear about that Scottish player that got sent off 6 times in one match recently?

He got a two year ban after a red card and then another 5 red cards for verbal abuse of the referee.

Paul 'Santa' Cooper said "I honestly wasn't to blame for the incident that led to me being sent off.

how an earth can you be sent of 6 times?!?!.. i suppose that means a player can be sent of more than once in a game?

It's probably also not written that you can't hypnotize the opposition goalkeeper into thinking he is a chicken, but I've never seen a manager take advantage of that.

It is covered by the same rule that says you can not do rugby line out type lifts to win headers from corners. I forget its official rule name, something like unsporting behaviour.

It is covered by the same rule that says you can not do rugby line out type lifts to win headers from corners. I forget its official rule name, something like unsporting behaviour.

is that why Sol Campbells header was disallowed in the WC when he jumed on John Terry's back for leverage?

Cooper's from Hawick, and that town's rough as ****, so not very surprising :p

how an earth can you be sent of 6 times?!?!.. i suppose that means a player can be sent of more than once in a game?
This has happened a couple of times this season - that guy was shown the red card six times, and there was someone in Wales who was shown a red card three times (and allegedly a fourth after the game, though that one wouldn't be official) in November/December. The common theme seems to be that they get a red card for something, and then they refuse to leave the pitch and instead insist on arguing/fighting with the referee, thus they get shown additional red cards for dissent and violent conduct (the Welsh guy apparently threw a bottle of water at the referee :D)

It should be pointed out that you REALLY don't want this in the game as a "feature" because in both of these cases the player shown multiple red cards was suspended for two years.

Archived