SI: I would like to win my matches using more than just 'luck'

Forget that you are looking at 2 undefeated seasons in the images below, that's not the point of the thread.

What I would like you to look at is the goals scored columns.

Both seasons were done using exactly the same tactics and (bar 2) exactly the same players playing against exactly the same opposition in exactly the same season. However one was done using 10.2 and the other using 10.3.

This allows a good comparison of the two.

What is obvious is the large difference between the goals scored. 91 to 123 = 32 or almost 1 per game, and it wasn't just a one off as I tried twice at the weekend (and failed after about 30 something matches each time to go unbeaten in 10.2) but the number of goals was still the same, 3 per match.

Also VERY interestingly, in the approx 100 match 'trial' I NEVER ONCE saw the 'superkeeper' effect. Leading me to believe the effect is caused by DEFENDERS ONLY threading the ball between opposition defenders. (As through balls (by defenders) were set to rarely, and they were also trained to stop doing them, the supergoalie simply disappeared). BUT when the midfielder threaded it, the striker had a lot less time to run at goal and therefore shot much quicker, and it resulted in quite a few 1 on 1 goals.

Onto stats, 10.3 yielded just 4 goals from corners whilst 10.2 using a good set up (rather than exploit) of 1 CK, 1 go forward, 1 attack near post, 1 come short, 1 lurk outside and best jumper/header attack far post, corners set to far post delivery, yielded 23 goals. And that (not 4) is the sort of number I would expect with a great taker and a striker (far post man) who was simply head and shoulders better than ANY defender in the division at jumping/heading. In later tiers against better defenders and goalies I would expect this number to reduce accordingly.

However these 23 (just over double the next best) as opposed to 4 are offset somewhat by scoring 15 pens in 10.3 and just 4 in10.2

IFK's on 10.3 yielded 4 goals, on 10.2 they yielded 10 (joint best)

What is therefore without doubt is that 10.3 HAS all but done away with goals from set pieces/crossing.

However the main difference, and the reason for the thread, is that my team is probably good enough to win the BSP, 2 tiers above where I was playing, such was the gulf in the ability of my players and those of the other teams in tier 7. BUT, in 10.3 I had to use 'touchline shouts' in more than a third of the matches to try and get a win/remain unbeaten, whereas on 10.2 I used them just 3 times because I was already leading by HT.

Now IMO 'touchline shouts' are when you are getting a bit desperate and hoping for a bit of luck because nothing else is working. But when you enjoy SUCH a gulf in ability you shouldn't need to use the TS SO often to try for a result as was the case with 10.3 'Luck' is required when YOUR team is lacking in class, not the other way around.

In conclusion, with 10.3 SI have quite simply taken away one of the 2 ways in which to score a goal (those being in the air or on the ground) meaning you no longer need to find the funds (or the player) who has great jumping/heading as well as great finishing, you now only need great finishing and how many of those players are in a fully loaded database if every country and league are loaded (more than there should be).

And in the process, force people to play it on the floor every game, and just hope for a goal from open play cos it ain't ever gonna come from a set piece, and if you ARE leading, you know you aren't gonna be equalised against by a set piece/cross either. Yet look at the weaker teams irl who try to get (and sometimes suceed) in winning/drawing games just because they have been practicing their set pieces down to a t (look no further than Stoke City for the best example of this week in and week out)

Was taking away headed goals down to the following conversation ?

Employee A: Full Backs just can't tackle a single player for toffee regardless of that players pace etc.

Developer A: I've got a solution, l'll code headed goals out of the game.

Employee A: Won't that mean they (us) can't score from set pieces or crosses ?

Developer A: Well they can't have everything can they, it (the ball) will still move along the ground

Employee A Ok, I'm sold.

In summary SI, when my players are light years ahead of the oposition, I would like to win by those attributes and tactics. Not as in 10.3 scraping a win by managing a (lucky) touchline shout at the right moment in the match.

With 10.3

64400890.jpg

With 10.2

93189769.jpg

BTW I was chuffed with the guy on 49 assists. That's more than I ever had from a midfielder playing hundereds of seasons of CM4 where cricket scores WERE allowed week in and week out.

32700961.jpg

You have heavily edited the database, therefore SI cannot be judged on something that is not entirely their creation. By all means play the game however you like. Stick Lucy Lawless up front by all means, but dont then come on moaning because you didnt win more comfortably or whatever. This is nonsense derived from your own creation.

BTW, not sure why you blotted Tanya out of your team name, but if it was that important, perhaps you should have taken more care to blot out every instance.

You have heavily edited the database, therefore SI cannot be judged on something that is not entirely their creation. By all means play the game however you like. Stick Lucy Lawless up front by all means, but dont then come on moaning because you didnt win more comfortably or whatever. This is nonsense derived from your own creation.

I HAVEN'T edited the database, apart from changing the name of FC United of Manchester in tier 7.

ALL the player names are simply done using the nickname function with the caps lock key turned on. Try it

Is this just an excuse to boast about an unbeaten season?

If you are having problems scoring with headers then it must be your tactics. I am actually scoring more headed goals on 10.3 than 10.2.

If it was I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of uninstalling the game and just reinstalling to patch 10.2 since I already had an unbeaten lg season on 10.3

Along with quite a number of other people I was far from satisfied at the absence of heading that suddenly appeared after I patched my original save to 10.3 to see 'over the bar' more times than i care to remember.

Then seemingly you are doing something right which a lot of other people are doing absolutely wrong given the ppl that have also writen about a lack of heading with the new patch.

Is this just an excuse to boast about an unbeaten season?

If you are having problems scoring with headers then it must be your tactics. I am actually scoring more headed goals on 10.3 than 10.2.

In fairness, quite a few people have noticed the header problem with 10.3.

Someone has done an analysis somewhere not far from here as well suggesting that it is indeed borked.

Perhaps the heading issue was broken on 10.2 and there were too many, now on 10.3 it is fixed?

Sorry for not noticing that many others have complained about it, but I tend to play my own game and worry about what could be wrong with my tactics rather than assuming the game is broken and come here looking for answers.

I have noticed I'm not scoring as many long shots as I did on 10.1 where my team used to knock them in for fun, so the fact that I can't do that anymore, is that because 10.3 is broken?

Now IMO 'touchline shouts' are when you are getting a bit desperate and hoping for a bit of luck because nothing else is working. But when you enjoy SUCH a gulf in ability you shouldn't need to use the TS SO often to try for a result as was the case with 10.3 'Luck' is required when YOUR team is lacking in class, not the other way around.

Whatever the gulf in class, good teams sometimes need good decision making to win games. That's why good teams employ good managers. That's not luck, that's the point of the game.

Was taking away headed goals down to the following conversation ?

Employee A: Full Backs just can't tackle a single player for toffee regardless of that players pace etc.

Developer A: I've got a solution, l'll code headed goals out of the game.

Employee A: Won't that mean they (us) can't score from set pieces or crosses ?

Developer A: Well they can't have everything can they, it (the ball) will still move along the ground

Employee A Ok, I'm sold.

How exactly would it be simpler to code headed goals out of the game rather than directly address the defenders tackling? You don't have first hand knowledge of how the match engine is built, so perhaps it's best not to make insulting and patronising guesses - you are a long way wide of the mark.

How exactly would it be simpler to code headed goals out of the game rather than directly address the defenders tackling? You don't have first hand knowledge of how the match engine is built, so perhaps it's best not to make insulting and patronising guesses - you are a long way wide of the mark.

The employee A, developer A conversation was meant as a tongue in cheek joke, which obviously failed.

I don't agree with most of this thread. My target man does score headers :)

And touchline shouts aren't luck. That's just a very wrong assumption. Do you consider setting up your tactics 'luck' too?

Also, 23 goals from corners is just too much, even if your player is a good crosser and your other player is a good header.

Archived