I feel like

I feel like in some games, I loose regardless of playing good or bad. In 10.3 patch I am having problems against weaker sides with lower rep. teams. I don't know is it only me, or my tactics or my motivation. I can get chances around 20 and the opposition around 5. 20 out of only 7 finds its targets, and mostly I loose 1-0. Is it only me or someone else having this problem with 10.3 patch?

Chances - What sort of tempo are you playing?

Losing against weaker teams - What is motivation/confidence like atm?

I am playing with a quick tempo, but I set the tempo just one click above the normal tempo.

I used to don't say anything before a lower rep team, or sometime I say "for the fans". If I am winning at the half I say "don't get complacent" or "don't expect the performance drop". If it is a tie I say "want to see more from you".

The interesting thing is I am playing much better against higher rep. teams. I mean having less chances, but more on targets and able to convert the chances to goal.

I think the problem with playing against lower rep teams is that they will sit back and pack the defence. You may be creating 20 chances, but are they all long range shots from frustrated midfielders with no option other than to shoot?

You probably seem to do better against higher rep teams, because you are replicating the same tactics as above, but this time you are the lower rep team, packing the defence and hitting on the break...

I've found that going to Control and 'Exploiting the Flanks' often helps as your players will try and work the ball around to create space then whip in some crosses into the gaps.

Sounds like you need to alter your tactics when playing weaker teams, especially if you're seeing a noticeable difference when playing a lower rep team.

I play 4-1-3-2. Push up high. with normal width and just one click higher than normal tempo. If I change my tactics, it means I need to play more defensively against lower rep. teams. Do you think I need to play more defensively against weaker teams?

Many shots on goals is not necessarily a sign that yout team is performing all that great. If these are mostly long shots then it shows you are dominating possession but your team is lacking a cutting edge. Your players resorting to countless hopeful long shots is not a good sign. On the other hand, the opposition will be playing on the break and their five chances are likely to goal scoring opportunities ie 2v2, 3v3 etc.

Many opponents will come to your ground and play exactly this way. They will let you dominate possession and hit you with the sucker punch.

I think the problem with playing against lower rep teams is that they will sit back and pack the defence. You may be creating 20 chances, but are they all long range shots from frustrated midfielders with no option other than to shoot?

You probably seem to do better against higher rep teams, because you are replicating the same tactics as above, but this time you are the lower rep team, packing the defence and hitting on the break...

I've found that going to Control and 'Exploiting the Flanks' often helps as your players will try and work the ball around to create space then whip in some crosses into the gaps.

It makes sense what you wrote. Do u think I should also play with a slower tempo for players to get time to create chances?

Many shots on goals is not necessarily a sign that yout team is performing all that great. If these are mostly long shots then it shows you are dominating possession but your team is lacking a cutting edge. Your players resorting to countless hopeful long shots is not a good sign. On the other hand, the opposition will be playing on the break and their five chances are likely to goal scoring opportunities ie 2v2, 3v3 etc.

Many opponents will come to your ground and play exactly this way. They will let you dominate possession and hit you with the sucker punch.

Yes exactly it is what is happening. Do you have any idea how to solve this problem? Would playing in a slow tempo help?

You need to play possession football against these teams and make good chances rather than a lot of chances. So slower tempo and shorter passing, basically looking for a patient build up as you would see a team do in real life when faced against a team that is all out defending.

There is no formula that will work every time but generally playing with a slow tempo and trying to get the ball to your most creative players as much as possible is the way to go. You don't need to go out all guns blazing just because you are at home - you can sit back and try to let the game open up a bit.

I will try this out. I hope it works. However with slow tempo isn't it harder to find space for chances?

It can be, manager shouts are always useful, 'work ball into box' if having lots of shots from distance, also are your wide midfielders in wide positions or more in the middle? Maybe using more width would help. 'spread ball to flanks' or placing a mid in a winger position.

I would definately tweak the tactic for lower rep teams, try different tweaks. Maybe dropping your defensive line down a bit so that you have more chance to counter. Or even leave out your def mid and put an attacking mid in who can open defenses.

Lots of different things you can try but don't leave it as it is if you are always dominating but not scoring as that will do your head in.

This is my tactics: http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8044/tactico.jpg

I set to short pass play, set the pace slow, and changed my Limited defender to Centrals defender with cover option. It works like a charm. Won last games with a lower rep teams 2-0 and 2-5. Thank a lot for help to everybody. I think I now can win the Premiership title and become a Legend in QPR.

This is my tactics: http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8044/tactico.jpg

I set to short pass play, set the pace slow, and changed my Limited defender to Centrals defender with cover option. It works like a charm. Won last games with a lower rep teams 2-0 and 2-5. Thank a lot for help to everybody. I think I now can win the Premiership title and become a Legend in QPR.

Too many forward players on attacking orders for a start, more support players needed.

Too many forward players on attacking orders for a start, more support players needed.

True, but I don't have any problem creating chances. I might give more chances to opposition team, but I like attacking style of play.

True, but I don't have any problem creating chances. I might give more chances to opposition team, but I like attacking style of play.

Playing an attacking style of play & having players on attack orders are NOT the same thing.

A player with attacking orders looks to play the ball forward when he receives it and run ahead of the ball when he doesn't.

A player with support orders will make himself available for passes and will play the ball around more square/forwards/backwards waiting for a gap to appear.

What will happen a lot in your tactics is that the MC will receive the ball from the defenders and then look up to see all five players ahead of him running away towards the goal which makes it difficult to make a forward pass initially. If one or two of the forward five were given support orders they would delay their forward runs finding space to receive a pass from the MC.

In RL if you take a team like Barcelona most of their forward players would be on support orders, not attack ones like many presume.

Playing an attacking style of play & having players on attack orders are NOT the same thing.

A player with attacking orders looks to play the ball forward when he receives it and run ahead of the ball when he doesn't.

A player with support orders will make himself available for passes and will play the ball around more square/forwards/backwards waiting for a gap to appear.

What will happen a lot in your tactics is that the MC will receive the ball from the defenders and then look up to see all five players ahead of him running away towards the goal which makes it difficult to make a forward pass initially. If one or two of the forward five were given support orders they would delay their forward runs finding space to receive a pass from the MC.

In RL if you take a team like Barcelona most of their forward players would be on support orders, not attack ones like many presume.

I get it now, and it does make sense. I think I might give support order to my AMC, so he would use the ball as well as MC to find gaps. It would be useful since I use my AMC as a playmaker.

Archived