Handball Red Card

My question is the following:

Should a goalkeeper be sent off for handling outside the area even if he didn't mean to. In this case Adler got sent off for handling outside the area - he didn't have an opposition player anywhere near him so I don't believe it was intentional - is this a case of a harsh ref or an extremely stupid GK?

redzv.jpg

its an automatic red card yes i do believe in the rules. Especially if it is stopping a goal scoring opp. I can guess that the game engine cannot differentiate between that and a 'normal' handball so its going to be redcard all the time.

Deliberate handball is a yellow card offence. It only becomes a red card if the offence stops a clear goal scoring opportunity. A GK carrying the ball outside his area when there is no forward around is therefore not a red card offence. This has been reported in the Bugs forum.

The AI is bad here and always awards a red card to keepers handling outside the area. Probably the AI actually cannot assess whether the handling deserved a red or a yellow or maybe even nothing. I can imagine there would be so many factors to be taken into account that it would just be impossible or at least unviable to code this into the AI.

My guess is that SI thus just coded every handling to be a red card offense as probably most are. This goes at the expense of buggy red card such as the example in here, but I guess the coding time has been spent wisely on other areas. :)

OK I'm not Sepp Blatter but I though the only things that a red card could be issued for were:

- Second yellow

- Spitting (at someone)

- Violent play (e.g. ridiculously hard/dangerous tackle)

- Other violent conduct (e.g. punching/kicking someone)

- Hand ball to deny a goal scoring opportunity

- Professional foul

- Abusive/offensive language/gestures

I'm also fairly sure that in reality there is no such thing as an "automatic" red card, as in all of the above cases, it is up to the referee's discretion whether to issue a red card.

EDIT: Woah major cross posting, I need to type quicker!

its an automatic red card yes i do believe in the rules. Especially if it is stopping a goal scoring opp. I can guess that the game engine cannot differentiate between that and a 'normal' handball so its going to be redcard all the time.
OK I'm not Sepp Blatter but I though the only things that a red card could be issued for were:

- Second yellow

- Spitting (at someone)

- Violent play (e.g. ridiculously hard/dangerous tackle)

- Other violent conduct (e.g. punching/kicking someone)

- Hand ball to deny a goal scoring opportunity

- Professional foul

- Abusive/offensive language/gestures

I'm also fairly sure that in reality there is no such thing as an "automatic" red card, as in all of the above cases, it is up to the referee's discretion whether to issue a red card.

EDIT: Woah major cross posting, I need to type quicker!

I agree with Rob. It's not an automatic red by the rules, though regularly the second or third category from bottom will apply.

However, as I said above, I agree with lawsie in his assumption that this is just hardcoded in the AI as spending the coding time which is needed to get that to work well would be so much that other areas would suffer way more from not being addressed than the benefit of having this rare issue fixed could justify.

If you deny a goal scoring opportunity as the last man it is an automatic red card, so in reality there is an automatic red card - that's why keepers get sent off when they take a player down, although many referees seem to ignore that rule, but according to the laws - it should be automatic.

It's not a red card. Remember Pepe Reina at Bolton a few years ago threw the ball up to volley it but the linesman said he carried it outside the box. It was a free kick to Bolton and a yellow card for Pepe because it wasn't a goalscorong chance. Also Kirkland slid out the box once with the ball still in his Hand and was only booked for the same reasons.

Archived