Teamtalk redundant

2nd leg of a semifinal, big lead in the first leg. Just to see if it makes any difference, I say "It's not over yet".

The game sees this as "Whoopee, be a complacent jackass" because from kickoff the entire XI is "Looking complacent". ****ing stupid.

HT 0-0, so I'm going through for sure barring a monumental collapse. Everyone still Looking complacent, so just to screw with things I go "Angry". The game doesn't know how to react to it, because it made absolutely no difference.

Afterwards, at Teamtalk feedback, one player was "Stressed" at the It's not over teamtalk, but nothing at all about the Angry TT. And if he was stressed how was he complacent at the same time?

Maybe it's not the game not understanding the team talk, but you.

That's real helpful.

To be honest, with a big lead from the first leg it's always going to be difficult to stop players being a little complacent. On '09 I tend to go with the 'Don't get complacent' option for before a game in this situation, and if I'm still leading by a decent margin at half time I simply say nothing as that seems to be the best way to say 'more of the same lads'.

And exactly how would you interpret "It's not over yet"?

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that particular team talk is designed to stop players from getting complacent.

The don't get complacent is really for if you've managed to luck a good lead, e.g. being 3-0 up at half time through three defensive errors, while being outplayed elsewhere.

And exactly how would you interpret "It's not over yet"?

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that particular team talk is designed to stop players from getting complacent.

You could also argue that it adds extra importance to the match and this in turn leads to the players becoming stressed and what looks like complacency on the pitch is actually players, not used to the pressure of big games, becoming a bag of nerves and not playing to their full ability.

Well, it's really helpful that it says "looking complacent" and not "playing nervously" then...

well I suppose that is true, guess I should really read the WHOLE post carefully before I offer my opinion.

Wheres the "I'm a dumb ass" T-shirt ? Give it here :)

Big lead in the first leg (of what competition? what team are you? what team is the opponent? did you win at home or away?) - I'm going to assume you're a better team (I need to assume since there's really no other information). You may say that it's not over yet, but your team clearly feels a different way: they think they've got it in the bag. Which, under certain circumstances, I think, is a good observation. You may have told them otherwise, but the thing is that your players don't all become motivated when you encourage them, and don't all become focused when you say it's not over.

I personally (and have nothing much to back this up with but some casual observations) feel that your captain's mood/attitude spreads through the squad.

5-0 lead in the Champions' League semifinal. I am Dover Athletic, opposition is Blackburn. I won 5-0 away in the first leg. We are the better team I suppose since the previous season I won the league and Blackburn finished 2nd 15 points behind.

Having said all that, does it mean you also believe that under the circumstances they will think what they think and feel what they feel regardless of what teamtalk I give? In which case "Teamtalk redundant" isn't wrong is it? :confused:

Big leag going into the second leg, unless you're very sure of your players' temprememts, best choice is usually "none", and then work from half time.

I never touch prematch TTs. Decided to tempt fate due to the big lead and look what happened! :p

In certain situations I think team talks don't have a big effect, or no effect at all. If your thread was to point that out, then 'teamtalk redundant' isn't wrong. In this case, apologies for my first post.

I took it as you giving an example and claiming the whole of team talks are redundant (which is something that happens around the board here), which is something I don't agree with.

Personally when carrying a big lead into a second leg I'd never say "It's not over" or "Don't get complacent". I've always deemed that to some across as "This muppets just telling us that, we know we have this sewn up"

Just my opinion on it....

I was saying teamtalk was redundant in this case. Which I still feel is stupid. It shouldn't be redundant in any scenario, since it's touted as a big feature in the game.

I think your team's natural complacency is too high to be dealt with by a team talk.

I know what you mean, but any idea what determines this "natural complacency"?

Archived