What attributes (hidden or otherwise) determine attitude from manager praise

For example, two of my players have the same 7.22 rating over their last 5 games. Now, based on the advice given by my backroom, I decided to praise their form as acceptable!

One is happy that I decided to praise their form, but the other was annoyed that he doesn't have to do much to get my praise!

I was advised that the correct way to determine the right praise is to look at how their recent form is in comparison to thier average form; if their current form is significantly better than their average then you say you are delighted, while if it is similar you say that you find it acceptable, while if it is just better you just say pleased!

Three Questions:

How do I determine when to and not to praise them?

Do their attributes (especially mental or hidden) have any bearing!

Does their reputation make a difference?

Thanks in advance for your highly thought out, practical, and well educated response ofcourse :thup:

While I have no idea how the different player personalities react to the media interaction, I do know that is a player reacts badly once, he will always react the same way unless his personality changes.

Since 08 I have been using this method, I am still refining it for fm10:

You can learn what comment to make based on each players last 3 games, ever player varies, but the starting point is:

Add up the last 3 form scores for the player and then base your response on the following:

19 or less = below

21 = acceptable

22 = pleased

23 and above = delighted

20 is a grey area, is either below or acceptable depending on the player, I use the notes system once I work it out, try below first.

This is not an exact science as extreme player personalities tend to respond to different thresholds, age also seems to have a small effect, be less harsh on younger players. It works for me on about 75% of my first team players.

Using the player interaction to talk to the press about a players current form is one way to influence that players morale, get it correct and it leaps straight to Superb. Getting it wrong drops his morale. You can only do this if the player has been playing for the last few matches. As an added bonus, you appear on the players favourite personnel list after a few successful comments.

NOTE: It is only worth using the interaction if the player has not got superb morale, it is pointless trying to praise or criticise a player who is already at Superb Morale.

While I have no idea how the different player personalities react to the media interaction, I do know that is a player reacts badly once, he will always react the same way unless his personality changes.

Since 08 I have been using this method, I am still refining it for fm10:

You can learn what comment to make based on each players last 3 games, ever player varies, but the starting point is:

Add up the last 3 form scores for the player and then base your response on the following:

19 or less = below

21 = acceptable

22 = pleased

23 and above = delighted

20 is a grey area, is either below or acceptable depending on the player, I use the notes system once I work it out, try below first.

This is not an exact science as extreme player personalities tend to respond to different thresholds, age also seems to have a small effect, be less harsh on younger players. It works for me on about 75% of my first team players.

Using the player interaction to talk to the press about a players current form is one way to influence that players morale, get it correct and it leaps straight to Superb. Getting it wrong drops his morale. You can only do this if the player has been playing for the last few matches. As an added bonus, you appear on the players favourite personnel list after a few successful comments.

NOTE: It is only worth using the interaction if the player has not got superb morale, it is pointless trying to praise or criticise a player who is already at Superb Morale.

ty for response, but i question your complete correctness:

I agree that there is no point praising superb players

I agree that players of the same personality tend to respond in the same way

The bonus of a favorite personel is obvious

Indeed i also find making notes truly invaluable.

However, looking at the tactic screen, the form over the last 5 games have been noted and their average score stated; surely this is the bench mark and not the sum of their last three games?

fyi, i did not play fm09... im basing this on fm10 only

The player screen has always listed the form over the last 5 games in all incarnation, yet for some reason my theory only needs to take the last three games into account, and that seems to be accurate enough. I am not having to use this much at all my self, as I am run away league champions and my players morale rarely gets below Very Good.

It may be worth just dividing my totals by 3 and comparing that to their current form, in fact that would be much easier to see, I will give that a go when I next need a moral boost.

6.3333 or less = below

6.4 to 6.9 grey area.

7 = acceptable

7.333 = pleased

7.6666 and above = delighted

no. manager praise probably affects the player's motivation for the next game too. just because we are not shown anything else does not mean morale is the only variable affecting the players' attitude towards the following games. successful praises also increase the relationship value between the player and the manager.

However, looking at the tactic screen, the form over the last 5 games have been noted and their average score stated; surely this is the bench mark and not the sum of their last three games?

again, just because the form is shown as the last 5 games does not mean that should be the sole base for evaluating the correct type of praise/criticism. i've had a lot of sh't hit the fan for commenting the players based on their last 5 games average where, for example, their last 2 games performance had been quite different from that. i just don't touch anything if the last 2 games are inconsistent with the last 5 games. if i had to choose, even, i'd say the last 2 games is a lot better indicator for choosing the 'correct' type of praise.

the correct praise is also affected a lot from the level of the player, i mean his CA, maybe reputation, squad status etc. you'll almost always get bad response from a guy like c.ronaldo if you say delighted to him even with rates around 8 while for more than %80 of the players it would be the correct choice.

It depends on the determination attribute of the player. If the determination is less than 15, the player expects greater praise, if the determination is 15 or above, the player is expects normal praise and sometimes is not downhearted by lesser praise.

And of course you look at the last 5 games average. If you go to the player tab in the confidence screen, you will see the green bars of how well the players are performing. If it is light green, it's pleased for 15 or above determined player, if it's very green, it's delighted.

worked usually.

Reputation?

For example, a world class player would demand more on their self and respond negatively to praise that an average player would normally respond positively to.

I manage Man Utd and find that Rooney rarely requires praise, and when he does, he responds better to criticism. Then again it might just be the determination attribute mentioned above.

Does anyone think that the reputation of a player has an effect?

I don't think influence or reputation has much to do with it. I've been following the below scheme regardless of player reputation and influeces and thats why I agree with others that determination most likely dictates their reactions.

Usually for players with 16+ determinations, I'd say:

Deeply upset for 6.7 and less

Disappointed for 6.7-6.9

Below par for 7-7.2.

Acceptable for 7.3 to 7.4

Pleased for 7.4-7.6

Delighted for 7.7 and up

Works well for me.

Should you ever show anger at players?

Pep talks? Again, I believe only highly determined individual will be boosted by this, on top of that, I think it also has to do with how well the players like you and how much they are willing to play for you.

I do it only when its a home game for ratings 5.9 and below + losing the game. It does wonder @ half time, and keeps morale up after fulltime.

Not entirely true. If the player already has you on their favoured personel list, then I can see where you are coming from. However, if he hasn't, you should praise. The better the players like/respect you, the easier it is to manage them.

be aware these people are going to charge you 7,95 for downloading this guide you can essentialy figure out yourself if you spend time playing game instead reading their 77+ pages, or find out on forum for free. i dont say its not usefull but charging it really ****ess me of. besides "we at the think thank" atittude also wants to tell them who the hell you think you are?

I made that post just before I learned that it wasn't free. Suffice to say my sentiments have changed :thdn:

Archived