Pushing FM to the next level!

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering...

Will it be possible, in the future, to have a FM that allow save games to continue from differents FM's.

For exemple... in the next FM2011, we have the possibility to continue out FM2010 save.

IMO, this would be the BIGGEST FIXTURE EVER TO BE IMPLEMENT.

But, is this possible?

What's your opinion? And, perhaps a word from the SI guys.

PS: sorry for the bad english

Meh. why would anyone want to do that? The only change from game to game would just be a sligtly tweaked engine and a few new options. And what about player / staff database?

Riiraff... it depends. Ok, some like to start because de database updates, etc

But many of us, with save games with 20 ou 30 seasons... would like to continue with them, and at the same enjoy the new fixtures that the new version always bring.

This feature would be AMAZING!!!!!! :thup:

This year my save is so great that because of that I seriously consider to not buy FM11 as I don't want to start any other save. If the save was compatible I would buy FM11 for sure, without it I don't know yet.

Of course, it would be more than difficult to achieve that. Often the data used and stored are different. Some figures used for FM11 might not even be researched for FM10 and what to do with those data? What about certain improvements/changes which logically require starting a new game? What about new competition rules and changed numbers of teams in some divisions?

Would be immensely difficult to tackle, but I'd just LOVE to continue my running save on FM11.

Sounds very complicated.

Anyway I prefer and look forward to starting a new fresh game when the new version is released. :)

Meh. why would anyone want to do that?

Abilty to continue does not mean obligation to continue. :)

A feature you wouldn't use may still be an immense improvement to others :thup:

It's not possible because they are 2 seperate games. It's like starting a game on GTA III and continuing it on GTA IV.

That's why i would like to see some feedback from SI guys.

I dont understand **** about programming... so... it's an ideia i like to see implement....

peharps... someone who knows anything about programming... will laugh...

i dont know

SI staff have said before that the differences between each game's database, match engine and game code would make this almost impossible to implement although they could see the merit in the idea. It is therefore very unlikely to happen

Not sure it would be something I would use, but suspect it is near on impossible to achieve, after all FM10 and FM11 are/will be two completely seprate games, I would imagine it would be as easy to programme as getting your FM save to work on CM10.

Or starting a game on Mass Effect and continuing it on Mass Effect 2.

The way I understand it is that the main storyline in ME2 forces you down the same route no matter what you did in ME. The main continuity is in the relations you have built up with background characters, something which would not be too hard to implement as it has to be done within one game already. For FM I would imagine it would mean keeping the same tactics module, match engine, rating system, transfer system, attribute distribution amongst many other things for this to be possible. These are all things which have been radically changed since 1999 (I bought CM 97/98 a year late) and I imagine things most people would like to keep open to future changes.

Maybe some kind of "converter" that upgrade your FMXXXX save to FMXXXX+1 version! :)

After all the "savegame" file is just a bunch of "instructions" that the game read everytime you run it.

So, with this "magic converter" LOL, you upgrade your save game to the next version!

simple!

No?

Maybe some kind of "converter" that upgrade your FMXXXX save to FMXXXX+1 version! :)

After all the "savegame" file is just a bunch of "instructions" that the game read everytime you run it.

So, with this "magic converter" LOL, you upgrade your save game to the next version!

simple!

No?

No, not simple at all! Almost impossible, in fact.

Would be immensely cool though :cool:

For FM I would imagine it would mean keeping the same tactics module, match engine, rating system, transfer system, attribute distribution amongst many other things for this to be possible. These are all things which have been radically changed since 1999 (I bought CM 97/98 a year late) and I imagine things most people would like to keep open to future changes.

The only part I think you would HAVE to keep would be the database, since that's the part with your progress in it. If you can get the database to plug into the rest of the game then I don't see why it couldn't work.

Just to use one of your examples, the match engine doesn't have to know anything about your 2047 Portsmouth save game except what gets plugged into it from the database (the team information, the players names, attributes, stats, skin colors, etc etc etc). What would cause a problem is when a database from a previous version doesn't have all the fields, like how a database from FM07 wouldn't have any skin color data and the keepers wouldn't have a first touch attribute. Any "import" function would probably just have to generate some made-up data for those so the game wouldn't crash. Not totally ideal, but better than nothing.

The only part I think you would HAVE to keep would be the database, since that's the part with your progress in it. If you can get the database to plug into the rest of the game then I don't see why it couldn't work.

Just to use one of your examples, the match engine doesn't have to know anything about your 2047 Portsmouth save game except what gets plugged into it from the database (the team information, the players names, attributes, stats, skin colors, etc etc etc). What would cause a problem is when a database from a previous version doesn't have all the fields, like how a database from FM07 wouldn't have any skin color data and the keepers wouldn't have a first touch attribute. Any "import" function would probably just have to generate some made-up data for those so the game wouldn't crash. Not totally ideal, but better than nothing.

And you've just proved my point.

Technically it is possible, because FM2011 will be based on the FM2010 sourcecode. Hence FM2011 will be an update of FM2010* - and you can continue your savegame after a patch, can't you? What makes it impossible to load savegames from older FM's are certain changes in the code or the database structure. I'm not a programmer but it's easy to imagine that when loading a savegame all values from the file are written into the cache/game database. The game would crash at the point where it tries to load values of new features that will be introduced in FM2011 because the savegame file from FM2010 would not contain these values.

So as long as we see new features in new versions, it is very unlikely that our old savegames will work.

* This isn't meant to be an offensive comment

I dont see how it could be seen as offensive?:confused:

Some people complain that new FM-versions are always based on the older versions and not something fully new. I just wanted to make clear I'm not one of those. Sorry, if I didn't get that point across.

It's possible to implement this, but it's hundreds of hidden bugs waiting to happen. It would take too much time for not much benefit.

They have a hard enough job keeping out the bugs between patches when using the same save game.

On top of that there is data used in the game though which may not exist in the earlier or later version.

I refer you to examples from the past.

When mind games were introduced a value was generated for your relationshipo with other managers. Any savegame from an earlier version would not contain any such data, thus it would have top be created arbitrarily which might screw things up. Vice versa a certain value might be erased, like once the manager points ranking. There some data would be lost from the old savegame.

These are just superficious examples. There are lots of values changed or generated from version to version and it would be a very tough task to get them all to work properly.

On top of that there is league structure, new licences, new leagues added or maybe some removed from FM. I'm sure savegames would have been compatible already if it wasn't just such an insane task to achieve it.

On top of that there is data used in the game though which may not exist in the earlier or later version.

I refer you to examples from the past.

When mind games were introduced a value was generated for your relationshipo with other managers. Any savegame from an earlier version would not contain any such data, thus it would have top be created arbitrarily which might screw things up.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I don't think it's impossible to do that kind of generation, and it would be an excellent feature if they could pull it off. Some compromises would have to be made about what exactly gets carried over and how good that data is, but that's to be expected I think.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I don't think it's impossible to do that kind of generation, and it would be an excellent feature if they could pull it off. Some compromises would have to be made about what exactly gets carried over and how good that data is, but that's to be expected I think.

I agree. I would love to see this, but I'm sure this would exist already if it wasn't too difficult to implement :(

Possible? Yes. Viable? Afraid not :( But I hope to be proven wrong :):thup:

Archived