The future is not kind to German players

Hi guys, greetings from Chile.

Well, right to the point. I've been playing my current save for... a long time now. The year is 2045 and I've been managing HSV (Hamburg SV) for 16 seasons. I spend a lot of time analyzing future purchases during the off-season and most of my players fully develop in the club, I like to think of myself as an enabler of young talent. I don't have a screenshot but I clearly remember that when I got here (HSV), there were a lot of German nationals in the team, and well, after all these seasons... I only have 2 in the first team, and they don't play a lot. Guess I was warned of this situation by my Domestic Player Bias rating being at 2.

Here's a pic:

HSV_dom01.jpg

Then I thought, maybe my nemesis, Bayern München has them all!

Nope, not one:

FCBM_dom02.jpg

So my question to you guys... is this normal? I've been managing HSV for a long time now and guess my team's rather odd lacking of German players is completely my fault, but the AI seems to be doing quite well avoiding their own countrymen.

I could add that, the other teams in the Bundesliga have their fair share of German players... but I could say that the amount of German players per team is in inversed proportion to their league performance.

Maybe is just me, but I love FM and how everything within the game tends to balance, but maybe you can't test this kind of behavior during beta.

In the future it's like that not only in Germany but in most leagues (that aren't very low standard). I remember in a test holiday save, Italy Serie A teams barely had Italians, Premiership had nearly no English, same with Russia, Ukraine, even leagues like Iceland had a minority of Icelandic players. The more leagues you load the more foreigners all leagues will have ...

"Italy Serie A teams barely had Italians, Premiership had nearly no English, same with Russia, Ukraine, even leagues like Iceland had a minority of Icelandic players"

Yeah SI this is another thing you have to look closer when working on fm11,in general when u start a new game year after year there are fewer domestic players playing for specific league,this is something that need to be CHANGED.In my italian save im playing Fiorentina 4 season,and i can see that majority of clubs in serie are buying foreigners insted of domestic players,in fact lots of talented italian young players end up not playing in their clubs.Besides every manager in serie a is very much affected by this"buy at most foreigners as you can"thing,it dosen't matter that most of them are totally crap.

Please SI look into this,i think it's major issue that's need to be sorted out

I guess every game is different. I'm in October 2024 and here is a rundown of the teams in the Bundesliga and how many Germans are in each team's first team squad.:

1860 Munchen - 8

Dortmund - 4

Bayern Munchen - 6

Eintracht Frankfurt - 4

Freiburg - 6

Monchengladbach - 9

Hannover 96 - 10

Hertha Berlin - 6

Hoffenheim - 10

HSV - 5

Kaiserslautern - 6

Karlsruher - 4

Koln - 10

Nurnberg - 7

Schalke - 6

Stuttgart - 5

Werder Bremen - 5

Wolfsburg - 7

I don't know if this reflects reality or not but it's certainly not like yours..

Here is Germany:

Ger_int01.jpg

England:

Eng_int01.jpg

Manchester United:

ManUtd_int01.jpg

And FC Barcelona:

Bar_int01.jpg

@Shaka Sangoma

Well, Germany has the first spot in the World Ranking and HSV and FC Bayern are the richest clubs in the world. So Germany is doing really well.

@Leto2626

This thing you said: "The more leagues you load the more foreigners all leagues will have ..." it's really interesting... I haven't tested it myself, but it makes a lot of sense in my head, and I would be that surprised if that happens to be true. This save has 18 leagues of 10 different countries.

-------

I don't know if this case is unique and isolated, but looking at the status of some landmark clubs in this save, I'm sure that leaving teams like FC Bayern without Germans or Man Utd without English players is odd at best. I do think that football is evolving in that way, teams everywhere have a world pool to pick their players and if you are Man Utd or Real Madrid, you could sign a 16 year old Argentinian kid based on videos and references... something unthought-of 30 or 40 years ago. It will become a whole new game in a few year and what gave Internazionale it's name in the first place will be the norm in every club.

Maybe it's just me, but I think big teams take pride of having players that are part of their National Squad and it would be nice to see within FM that teams fight over to keep their national stars in their country.

Maybe it's just me, but I think big teams take pride of having players that are part of their National Squad and it would be nice to see within FM that teams fight over to keep their national stars in their country.

I would guess that you're wrong there, most major clubs will want the best players available, for some that will mean bringing players up from your youth squad and making them the best (best example would be the Lisbon Lions of 1967), for more it would be going out and paying top dollar for their players (e.g. Chelsea until the crash and Real). At the moment the only team that operates mostly with option one is Barcelona (and they still buy big players), while most other teams are about buying in their talent for all over.

It's not a question of regens but a question of AI transfer policy. The AI club managers seem to have a low domestic player bias. At least in my savegames. From my experience, this especially happens to nations that have manageable leagues.

There are lots of good German regens in my game,

28an5zm.jpg

33bz6nq.jpg

they are just two that I got.

I think the problem is the low reputation of the German league, as soon as they become good, some team from the Big 3 buys him up. So the only players in the Bundesliga are 2nd tier Germans and foreigners.

What Koki says it's right... Regens are good in Germany, so there is no shortage of good players, it's about that bias, whether it's enforced or not by the AI managers. Maybe "they" are but something must be overriding it, and would lead to the point that it's a non-factor in the game, and the domestic bias index would be surplus in the stats.

"The AI club managers seem to have a low domestic player bias"

yes i think it could be tuned up a little for some managers,becouse now it's get worser every season you play,the teams getting medicore players instead of investing in domestic players.It would help with the realism of the game,from what i saw in fm10 95(+,-)%of AI managers are buying foreigners in large numbers.

As was said before, if any of us get to 2045 that might be the picture. We live in a globalised world. Look at the ever decreasing number of English players in the premiership. Clubs want the best players, and as long as the rules allow foreigners to be signed, they will be. The only way to change this would be with an expansion of UEFA's home grown rule.

Hi guys, greetings from Chile.

So my question to you guys... is this normal? I've been managing HSV for a long time now and guess my team's rather odd lacking of German players is completely my fault, but the AI seems to be doing quite well avoiding their own countrymen.

I could add that, the other teams in the Bundesliga have their fair share of German players... but I could say that the amount of German players per team is in inversed proportion to their league performance.

Isn't it the same in the English Premier League in real life now? The higher the standard of a league the more difficult it will be for national youngsters to make it at the top clubs and Germany is certainly up there too...

As was said before, if any of us get to 2045 that might be the picture. We live in a globalised world. Look at the ever decreasing number of English players in the premiership. Clubs want the best players, and as long as the rules allow foreigners to be signed, they will be. The only way to change this would be with an expansion of UEFA's home grown rule.

You're right, because of globalisation, players will be eligible for a greater number of nations, and will travel to more places. That being said, I can't see the vast majority of players from a top nation all moving away from the top league that nation has, unless they are moving for greater money. This explains the Germans moving away, but not really the English

You're right, because of globalisation, players will be eligible for a greater number of nations, and will travel to more places. That being said, I can't see the vast majority of players from a top nation all moving away from the top league that nation has, unless they are moving for greater money. This explains the Germans moving away, but not really the English

16 of the 26 England squad members play in England, so that's hardly a huge problem.

Perhaps the game needs to better simulate the fact that average players tend to stick to their own countries far more than in the game. Top players will always stray to where the best deals are to be found.

Archived