Do You Find Yourselves Getting Bored Easily?

It's a pretty common occurance when people get bored too easily during their game of Football Manager, usually it's because of pure dominance in every trophy season after season with whatever team they're managing. Sometimes it could be because they are not as good at the game and find themselves constantly in a relegation scrap and simply can't take losing, it bores them to the point they restart the game or don't play it for weeks.

I'm here to hopefully solve your boredom issues with the game with some tips that I've used over my years of playing Football Manager, especially the latest version 'Football Manager 2010' in which I'm currently at 2041 and I've overcome boredom to get there.

First off, pick a team you've never ever been before. Forget your supported teams you will get bored of them, trust me. Maybe start in the lower leagues of Italy, or Spain maybe even start in the Belarusian league, It's up to you. Ahh ya see there's a problem with all this, most people take that advice and comment 'But I don't know any teams, I don't know any players', oh so what? I bet at one stage in your life you didn't even know who CSKA Moscow were but now you do and you'd probably manage them just to win Russian accolades.

Once you've got your team from whatever lower division or lower standard of league you've picked, value the players, see what player is the best for your position, what player suits your tactics and all that, basically take your time, explore new things you've never done before, create a tactic, create a training schedule. All of this is important in the game so why not use it. Use your scouts too, don't just buy 'World Class' scouts for the sake of it, some of the 'World Class' scouts in the game are poor at finding talent, look for the scouts with the right stats, the ability to find talent, Potential Ability, Current Ability, you want a determined scout too, no good getting a scout if he's not botherd about who he finds and reports back to you with, take it into consideration.

Right, you've got everything sorted, you're having a great time, you've just dominated pre-season with your team, you've brought in some good players for your standard of team and you're season starts. You absolutely hammer the league and I mean completely dominate it, you win the league ten or fifteen points clear of the team in second and you win promotion to the top flight. You buy some players on free transfers and use up pretty much all your transfer and wage budget on players you think are suitable to keep you up, purely on there name alone not taking into consideration their age, fitness etc.

Your new season starts, your in the top flight after getting promoted and you're loving the game, suddenly you find yourself rock bottom fighting relegation and can't even buy yourself a win, especially after blowing your transfer and wage budget in the summer. You get to the transfer window and you can't even buy Ali Dia ffs. You're angry and bored that you keep losing and your bottom and you switch the game off...

.. you come back to the game although it could be weeks or even months before you do. You start it up and realise your bottom with no money and not an ounce of excellence in terms of youth in your team and you quit and start a new game at a top club so you can win everything and buy everyone you wanted or you edit a team in the editor and give them all the money in the world and buy every World Class player known in the world just to have the best team, now THATS boring.

If you had stuck with your game originally you might have survived relegation, tweak your tactics, maybe even tweak your training, sell players for finance, even if they're your best. Buy players you know will keep you up, mentally strong characters, winners. They don't have to be the best statistically to keep you up, with the right tactics you can achieve surviving in a league your first season up.

Imagine the feeling you'd get in real life if you keep that team up after such a dreadful first half of the season, you'd feel ecstatic, you'd feel like one of the best managers in the world, infact scrap that, you wouldn't even know how you'd feel because you'd be just amazed at how you did it. Don't you want that for yourself in game form? To feel utter astonishment that you got your team promoted and survived in it's top division in absolute style? How can anyone get bored of that.

What I'm saying is give a game a chance. If you get sacked from a team, continue the game, you don't know where your managerial career will take you or what glory it will bring. Rome wasn't built in a day, if you have a team from the lower divisions, don't expect glory straight away because it doesn't work like that, if you get bored of the team try experimenting, if your a Spanish team or English team why not just try and field a team of all Spanish or All English players to make it challenging and exciting? Why not even leave that team and go abroad and do something new?

What I'm saying is there are plenty of ways to make your game exciting and alot of ways to keep you from quitting through boredom. Football Manager is an addictive game and it's no fun if your bored whilst playing is it? It's a game afterall, it's made for your enjoyment, if you're not enjoying it then take it back and get your money back. I enjoy the game and I hope you enjoyed reading this.

I've put in my Nigerian wonderkid from my Gillingham squad in Zenit now along with a Russian Messi.

I'm finding that putting your own created wonderkids with PA's of like 190 makes the game insanely fun

As I said in another thread a second ago.

Plus I never seem to get bored in the long term, newgens just keep me entertained

taking charge of average teams and trying to eek out some success on a limited budget is alot of fun. Kindof of like laurent blanc has done at bordeaux(minus the fee for gorcuff), but here is alot ot be said of taking on the big clubs, and having to evolve the team.

Chelsea, for example, are alot of fun. I did a save with them and maybe it's because i'm a crap manager but the league was very very tough, despite me sitting on top at x-mas. I had already lost to liverpool, fulham, city and were routed by shaktar in the CL, and was skimming quite a few games against lower opposition, quite often due to a dubious penalty decision.

But the real fun with chelsea is that you will eventually have to create you're own team our of nowhere. There are no decent prospects there, and you have Terry 29, Carvalho 31, Cole 29, Lampard 31, Drogba 31, Anelka 30-31, Deco 31, who are all world class players but will have to be replaced within 2 seasons. Ok, you have the money, but not to buy a messi or rooney for example. In my 4th season with them i had constructed and evolved my own squad, and fought to stay near the top, winning the CL once and prem twice in 4yrs. So there is alot of fun to be had at a top club, maybe not real or man utd, but definatley a chelsea.

But otherwise there is no more fun to be had than at an unfancied(Ipswich) or sleeping giant(PSG) club and doing a good job. Even having your best players sold behind your back is an exciting challenge :thup:

Archived