Any chance of Thiago being called up for the national team?

Some of you may have tried having Thiago Alcantara of FC Barcelona youth becoming quite good. I've had him in my first team at Fulham since he was 18, starting every game. Last season he had an average rating of 7.60 and won the English Footballer of the Year award. He's eligible for Italy, Spain and Brazil, but at age 24, he has not got a single cap -- not even a youth cap -- on his head. Is there any chance he'll ever be called up, you reckon? He's definitely worthy of warming the bench for Cesc and Iniesta, should be starting for Italy or at least a squad player for Brazil!

What do you reckon?

He could be in a situation of being called up to two of the teams a lot but refusing as neither are the team he wants. I'm having that problem myself after taking up the Turkey job three seasons in, and finding quite a few German/Turks not wanting to play for me (even though they have no chance with the Nationalmannschaft as I started this game before freeing it up), maybe a bit of player interaction could be implemented to try and inflence this.

Well since he is of Italian and Brazilian nationality as well, it depends on who calls him up. He's getting pegged to play for the Spanish team and played several games for them. I've had him learning from Iniesta and Xavi and he proves to be stellar.

On my game he's currently at Osasuna in 2014. He picked up a couple of youth caps for Spain, but has only made himself available for Brazil at the moment for full international honours. He's 'waiting for a chance with Brazil before committing himself'.

He has no chance of getting in the Brazil squad though. They're currently playing a classic Brazilian box formation, and the two central midfield slots are sewn up between Anderson, an ageing Kaka, Bernardo, Ramires and Carlos Eduardo. Looking at Thiago's attributes, he's pretty average.

He is pretty unknown in Brazil, so if he is to be called up for Brazil, he will have to do a lot more than better known players have to. I think he most likely will end up playing for Spain in real life.

The fact he is not getting called up in the game either is a good sign, by the way, as reproduces well the real life situation.

ahaha i was wondering the same! right now i'm managing Brazil and Juventus, so i thought "why not give him a chance" as he says "he's waiting for a chance with Brazil", but the funny thing is that when i call him up, he just refuses the chance :rolleyes:

Thiagolol.jpg

and yeah, i did try many times to call him up before!!

In my game he is now 34 and a youth coach at Roma. Had a great career - left Barca in 2011 for Partizan Belgrade before going to Tenerife, then Zenit, Porto, Valencia and finished his career at Celtic.

His career record is: played 389 games, scored 99 goals, 65 assists, 18 MOM, average rating 7.12.

No senior international caps at all, just says capped at U19 level (presumably for Italy, as that is listed as his main nationality).

Shame :( he is one hell of a good coach though :)

Archived