nfl draft

no way its the way it should be IMO currently

as theres no way of putting the real way in with the players can onyl join a youth team if they live within x miles of the club (now it is anyway) as i remember an article about it as houlf og our *Catchment* area is in the north sea :(

No f*cking way. Why must the american way be the only way?

Way to seriously overreact there. The OP merely suggested something, and you immediately assumed he was assuming his American superiority....

So who's being the stereotypical self-centered, arrogant foreigner? :p

On topic, drafts are actually quite interesting. I would use something like this once in a while.

Way to seriously overreact there. The OP merely suggested something, and you immediately assumed he was assuming his American superiority....

So who's being the stereotypical self-centered, arrogant foreigner? :p

On topic, drafts are actually quite interesting. I would use something like this once in a while.

I'm abit drunk, and it just annoyed me so posted as i felt. ;) I wont deny they can be interesting, just prefer it as the way it is: our way.

I'm abit drunk, and it just annoyed me so posted as i felt. ;) I wont deny they can be interesting, just prefer it as the way it is: our way.

It would be quite impossible tbh, having a draft with thousands of players all of whom can just do whatever they want anyways. The only reason it works in America is because there's only like 30~40 teams.

It would be quite impossible tbh, having a draft with thousands of players all of whom can just do whatever they want anyways. The only reason it works in America is because there's only like 30~40 teams.

And besides that, the draft only exists in our sports to promote "fairness", since it often is designed so the worst team gets the best pick. A draft, however, has no place in a fluid league system where teams can be relegated or promoted.

While I agree this is very hard to implement I think it's something for that fancy editor. Say you want to impose a draft on a country. Let's take England as an example. There could be a drop down menu for "youth setup" which has options such as "Youth Teams, Youth Teams + Leagues, National Youth Academies, Draft"

Now just to explain, Youth Teams means that each club has there own youth team (and the usual academy etc.) but does not play in a youth league. Youth Teams + Leagues would be the same but obviously with Youth leagues added. National Academies means that between the generated age of 15/16 to 18 the players develop at National Youth Academies which might hold monthly exhibition tournaments for you to scout. Once they turn 18 they are released into free agency to be signed. The better the facilities, the better development the players get. Draft would be that you set all generated youth players to enter the National Draft which could cover however many leagues you chose. So in England you could set it to cover Premiership to League 2. Meaning that clubs below the bottom league chosen will bring through there own youngsters as normal.

Just an idea, but I think it'd be great for editor kings out there.

Other options could be to change the age of generated players. You could choose to have them generate at 20 where they may be a bit more developed than your average youth player. You could also have options for the draft to have picks go in worst to best order. So bottom of league 2 pikcs 1st right up to 1st in prem. Or random order, or reward the best with the 1st pick.

A draft only works in a closed division as a method for purely professional adult teams to get young players. When you throw in promotion and relegation its bizarre to give a pick of a player to a relegated team even if there was a pool of players worthwile to chose from. Which of course there is not because teams have their own youth players which they develop rather than all players reaching a certain age in college teams and then having to move on at the same time.

but baker.simon, why not in the editor like my post above? You dont have world superleagues IRL, or a pyramid scottish system IRL...but people have still created them and people enjoy them. Surely the more customability in the editor the better?

Terrible terrible terrible terrible idea!

Makes my top 20 worst ideas I've seen posted on here.

Abysmal! Absolutely abysmal.

Not only is it unrealistic the draft system is just stupid anyhow and wouldn't work in a league with relegation in it.

If you want to see this in the game you'd better be getting on the phone to the Premier League.

but baker.simon, why not in the editor like my post above? You dont have world superleagues IRL, or a pyramid scottish system IRL...but people have still created them and people enjoy them. Surely the more customability in the editor the better?

That's because the clue is in tha name 'editor'. You edit data to play it how you want. For someone who has no belief in the editor and doesn't actually agree with it's inclusion, like me, then it really serves no purpose.

Getting back to the simulation/game argument that has been bandied around in another thread, I suppose I want a simulation, ie, as far as is possible to mirror real life. Besides, some of our American firnds have already mentioned why it wouldn't work.

The current transfer system would have to be completely overhauled as well. There is no point in a draft system if Man Utd, Chelsea, or Man City can just come in and buy the best players after the draft has taken place.

It works in a closed league structure with a different method of transfering players but it'd be a disaster trying to get it into the game for say the English league. Not to mention how long would a bloody draft take with 92 teams?

Archived