Why Can't My Players Head The Ball Anymore?

As it says. Since the new patch my Strikers / Midfielders seem to have lost the ability to head the ball.

I don't expect them to score from every cross of course, but I would expect them to get around half of the headers on target at least. I have been getting so frustrated that I have counted the number of chances created to headers on target.

Game 1) 22 crosses (inc corners and free kicks) - 2 on target

Game 2) 17 crosses - 1 on target

Game 3) 27 crosses - 4 on target (1 a goal)

Now I have never noticed it to this extent before. The previous 1 on 1 scenario used to annoy me, but this is driving me up the wall! My strikers both have heading and jumping of at least 17 and my midfielders are all over 15 for these two. It's always the same result, good cross in and the header goes flying over the bar. What's most annoying is that there is nothing I can do about it.

I'm just venting my anger on here as I am unable to scream instructions at the players whom I currently want to kick boots and throw tea cups at.

As it says. Since the new patch my Strikers / Midfielders seem to have lost the ability to head the ball.

I don't expect them to score from every cross of course, but I would expect them to get around half of the headers on target at least. I have been getting so frustrated that I have counted the number of chances created to headers on target.

Game 1) 22 crosses (inc corners and free kicks) - 2 on target

Game 2) 17 crosses - 1 on target

Game 3) 27 crosses - 4 on target (1 a goal)

Now I have never noticed it to this extent before. The previous 1 on 1 scenario used to annoy me, but this is driving me up the wall! My strikers both have heading and jumping of at least 17 and my midfielders are all over 15 for these two. It's always the same result, good cross in and the header goes flying over the bar. What's most annoying is that there is nothing I can do about it.

I'm just venting my anger on here as I am unable to scream instructions at the players whom I currently want to kick boots and throw tea cups at.

This is why i started again with patch 10.2 :D

what teap? maybe you have crappy players that cant head or cross

My team is Huddersfield. Many years in and No.1 team. My players WERE all excellent at heading, now they can't even get close.

I decided that I'd confirm it wasn't my players. Using the data editor I amended the original team so that all of the players were world class stars ie 200 out of 200 rating. I started a new game and suprise suprise they can't head for toffee. 6 games, only 1 headed goal and about 100 headed over.

I have never uninstalled an FM patch before, but I am now so sick of this one that I have to go back to 10.2

I really can't believe that this patch made it through testing. What on earth were they thinking? I am fuming at the game right now. This has to be the worst release in quite a while.

Maybe your players are short

I had a bit of this at first, im at Liverpool and had Torres and Adriano up front.

Torres was useless and Adriano only slighty better so i bought Trezeguet to experiment with and he is the bomb with headers! Scores regularly with his head from corners and open play crosses.

PS @aditya. The OP stated in his post that his strikers had good heading stats, shouldnt you read posts thru before commenting?

I'm bumping this because I am having the same problem. I have Mido up front and Milevski (good heading stats) and all they do both from open play and corners is head over the bar. I get the impression on 10.3 there are only two ways of scoring, one on one's (ironically) and long shots!

10.3 is a bad match engine is why.

Yes, headers on goal are completely broken. It has ruined the game.

Got sympathy for you but cant really agree. I'm at Liverpool, got DiMaria and Bentley on the wings with Trezeguet/Adriano and Torres up front and getting a few goals from headers from open play crosses and corners.

I personally thought I was scoring too many headed goals prior to 10.3. One season I had Steven Taylor, a CB, as my second highest goalscorer - a he got them just from corners.

Its maybe gone slightly too far the other way, but I still get goals scored from headers. Just last night my team scored a cracking goal; Zezinho runs half the pitch, reaches the byline and whips in a cross for Andy Carroll to fire a bullet header in at the near post.

I did a test - too many in FM10 - where I went to the editor and transferred all the best wingers and strikers to one team and the donkeys were useless upfront. Crosses completed was at best 35% and headers were getting missed from 2-4 yards out. I did not score one header from within the 6-yard box. I played 10 games with this and got peed off by the fact that a world class striker cant score a header against some dreadful Scottish teams.

• 3 weeks later...

All we can hope for is that SI and the testers make sure its perfect for FM11. The percentage of completed crosses is not far off realistic - just needs to be tweaked a little and ive mentioned what needs to be done on my 'unrealistic' thread. Headers is way off being realistic and will hopefully be fixed for FM11.

So no-one have managed to get goals from headers? I'm really frustrated. Lukaku is a beast on the head, but always heads far away from the goal.

check out who's usually crossing the ball in for him and see if there crossing is good. I've managed to get some great headed goals even without players who are really dominant in the air.

PaulC has commented on this and acknowledged it as an issue. He made tweaks to other areas of the ME, like the number of crosses blocked by full backs, so crosses were made less effective to make up for this. Unfortunately, Paul went too far, as he didn't want to upset the balance of how goals were scored in the final patch of FM2010.

Archived