Is using genie scout to look for players based on attributes cheating ?

Is there a big difference/cheat between using the scout program to find potential players based on their attributes, than to just having attribute masking turned off ?

If masking is off, and you are ONLY using the scout to look for players with certain attribute ranges, eg defenders with at least 18 jumping,10 positioning, 10 pace etc, using genie scout would simply be a time saver since you could manually look at everyones normally displayed attributes anyway just by manually cheking every player in every club.

Although i can see where the scout would be cheating if a player was looking for the best regens by checking for PA.

Yes it's cheating. Even if it's just a time-saver. For that matter, trawling through unscouted players to judge their attributes is also cheating. Even playing with attribute masking off is cheating in some peoples' eyes.

But really, who cares if it's cheating? I don't think there are any countries in the world where cheating at FM is a criminal offence. You paid for the game; play it however you want.

If masking is on, how does a player know that they haven't got a team full of duffs ?

Strikers with finishing of 2 or 3

Defenders with jumping 3 or whatever.

By the time the 'see' their team is crap they will be relegated due to not having enough time left in the transfer market to turn things around.

If masking is on, how does a player know that they haven't got a team full of duffs ?

By the time the 'see' their team is crap they will be relegated due to not having enough time left in the transfer market to turn things around.

You obviously don't understand how masking works.

Attribute masking doesn't affect your own players.

Think of masking as a 'fog of war'. Obviously if you have the players in your team, the coaches can see them so you'll know the attributes and what value they are. Same with players you don't own, scout them and it becomes clearer.

Any 3rd party application is cheating in my opinion.

Yes it's cheating. Even if it's just a time-saver. For that matter, trawling through unscouted players to judge their attributes is also cheating. Even playing with attribute masking off is cheating in some peoples' eyes.

But really, who cares if it's cheating? I don't think there are any countries in the world where cheating at FM is a criminal offence. You paid for the game; play it however you want.

Thing about cheating is.. who's being cheated ? The AI ? He won't care :)

It does seem to make the game less interesting in the long run (if you're into a long career game) but it can also make it fun.

Scouting is still kind of lame in FM, I've scouted and bought 3 star players ("Good") and perhaps 1 or 2 out of 10 "survive" and turn out to be any decent, like after a season my coach says that he's decent, after another season he says that he's crap..

Not to mention that you can hardly find any player above "Good", except for 27+ year old stars that cost you 140m + a kidney, they can be easily found in international scenes, so scouting for those type of players is a waste of time :)

Err, rambling here.. moving on.

It's not cheating for me because the AI already knows the PA's of the regens etc and can take advantage of it.

So by me finding these wonderkids is just the same theAI doing it IMO

And how do you know what the AI can see and what not?

It's not cheating for me because the AI already knows the PA's of the regens etc and can take advantage of it.

So by me finding these wonderkids is just the same theAI doing it IMO

I'm fairly sure I've seen it confirmed by SI that the AI does not 'see' the PA of players, it uses the interpretation of it as we also do with our scouts.

I'm fairly sure I've seen it confirmed by SI that the AI does not 'see' the PA of players, it uses the interpretation of it as we also do with our scouts.

But is there not a reason for them always finding the newgens with greatest potential 5 days into a new season?

I remember often seeing in CM4 that regens with huge PA already had the world's major clubs interested in them the second that they were created. (midnight on the date that the regen date for 'that' particular country came into effect and created them), especially if they also had CA over 100 too

But is there not a reason for them always finding the newgens with greatest potential 5 days into a new season?

Your team = 1

AI Teams = ?????

Your scouts = 1-10

AI Teams' Scouts = ??????

Do all the best newgens go to one club or a range of AI clubs?

Your team = 1

AI Teams = ?????

Your scouts = 1-10

AI Teams' Scouts = ??????

Do all the best newgens go to one club or a range of AI clubs?

I'll be honest and say I don't have a clue what you're getting at here.

Are these players who the scouts would report back on favourably? If so, that is how they are finding them.

But it just seems to me the AI somehow already knows these exist without scouting them.

It feels as if the AI is stealing the greatest youth using some sort of system without scouts

I remember often seeing in CM4 that regens with huge PA already had the world's major clubs interested in them the second that they were created. (midnight on the date that the regen date for 'that' particular country came into effect and created them), especially if they also had CA over 100 too

It is pretty easy for us to tell if a new young player has high potential just by looking at him, it is even easier after getting a scout report. These sorts of players will always stand out and attract the interest of big clubs.

What would be more interesting was if the big clubs were picking up on youngsters with high PA and low CA who are not rated highly by the scouts.

He means there are thousands of AI scouts running around, and only about 20 of your scouts. Chances are the thouasand AI scouts will find something good before yours do.

But it just seems to me the AI somehow already knows these exist without scouting them.

It feels as if the AI is stealing the greatest youth using some sort of system without scouts

Going on previous experience with the CM series, i would say that the AI does everything it can to try to get the talent the day that the talent is created.

As well as my example above where the AI teams were already interested in newgens the second that they were created, i found that even if there were NO OTHER CLUBS interested in a player and you put in an offer for him, that if you then went back to his screen there would magically be a whole host of clubs that had suddenly declared an interest in him, even though NO time had elapsed game wise.

Therefore the AI WAS trying to steal talent JUST because I had made an offer for it.

If that isn't a clear case of the AI cheating then i don't know what is :thdn:

Archived