What does Detail Level affect? (also what are the 'Later Stages' and 'Main Stages'?)

1) I know vaguely little of Detail Level, how setting it to none can make a game unrealistic but faster, setting it to something will let you watch it...or something like that. What's the deal with it?

2) Also, I don't know what the 'Main Stages' and 'Later Stages' are supposed to be. For example: When setting Detail Level for the European Championship, would setting it to Main stages just be the knockout phase? Would Later Stages be the semi final and final? Other way round? Does either incorporate the group stages?

Playing FM 2007 btw.

I've just been putting everything on later and main stages cos I don't know. *shrugs*

Detail Level is how many results game processes and how detailed it goes (obviously lol). Like Full detail itd process all results in game world from Johnstones paint trophy to south american/african world cup qualifiers i think. Not 100% but thats what i think it is. Setting it to minimum it only processes a small amount, I dont think it makes game unrealistic in anyway tbh but does speed it up. :)

Dont quote me on this though lol its just my opinion of what it means and question 2 i think you got it spot on

I wonder too if it makes game more unrealistic or not.

Same with selecting more leagues. The AI seems to have a lesser condition when you selected the league of your opponent (for instance in CL) than when you dont have that league selected.... Because opp. team played competition game in previous weekend. Or is this not true?

"Thanks to new Detail Level options Football Manager 2007 is more resource friendly than any previous title in the series. Selecting Detail Level from the options menu allows you to choose what competitions to simulate in depth or quickly simulate. You can opt to just run the division you manage in full detail and have every other league or competition quickly simulated. Of course if you want to watch games from other nations and competitions you’ll need to run those competitions in full detail to do so (cup competitions can be chosen to simulate in full detail in later stages which is useful). Best of all though is the fact that you can alter these setting at any time. This means if you start a new game and select five nations and their leagues and then find half way through a season that your PC (or Mac of course) is finding the strain too much you can simply enter the Detail Level screen and turn off the full simulation for every league except for the one you’re managing in. The effect of altering the detail level options can be quite dramatic and even on lower end PC’s the game can be made to process data much more quickly than before."

It doesn't mention there that it makes the game more unrealistic so that's a good sign..

"Thanks to new Detail Level options Football Manager 2007 is more resource friendly than any previous title in the series. Selecting Detail Level from the options menu allows you to choose what competitions to simulate in depth or quickly simulate. You can opt to just run the division you manage in full detail and have every other league or competition quickly simulated. Of course if you want to watch games from other nations and competitions you’ll need to run those competitions in full detail to do so (cup competitions can be chosen to simulate in full detail in later stages which is useful). Best of all though is the fact that you can alter these setting at any time. This means if you start a new game and select five nations and their leagues and then find half way through a season that your PC (or Mac of course) is finding the strain too much you can simply enter the Detail Level screen and turn off the full simulation for every league except for the one you’re managing in. The effect of altering the detail level options can be quite dramatic and even on lower end PC’s the game can be made to process data much more quickly than before."

It doesn't mention there that it makes the game more unrealistic so that's a good sign..

Yes, I can Google too. ;)

I was looking more for the opinions of people that have played this game to death rather than a website review quickly promoting new additions.

Detail Level is how many results game processes and how detailed it goes (obviously lol). Like Full detail itd process all results in game world from Johnstones paint trophy to south american/african world cup qualifiers i think. Not 100% but thats what i think it is. Setting it to minimum it only processes a small amount, I dont think it makes game unrealistic in anyway tbh but does speed it up. :)

Dont quote me on this though lol its just my opinion of what it means and question 2 i think you got it spot on

Are you talking about Database, not Detail Level?

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I always believed that if the detail level are set to quickly simulate the matches, it is the clubs reputation that decides the outcome, while if it is fully simulated it will take into consideration the players etc of that club. In other words this means that a club with high reputation in the beginning of a game (say in a league you don't manage in) can lose most of its class players and still win and thus participate in ie continental competitions like the CL/EL etc. I believe this makes the game more unrealistic. Anyone else have any other interpretation of this? Is this a complete misunderstanding from my side or what? Please correct me if I am wrong on the issue.

What "later stages" and "main stage" means, I have no clue. I was wondering the same myself. Can someone clarify please?

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I always believed that if the detail level are set to quickly simulate the matches, it is the clubs reputation that decides the outcome, while if it is fully simulated it will take into consideration the players etc of that club. In other words this means that a club with high reputation in the beginning of a game (say in a league you don't manage in) can lose most of its class players and still win and thus participate in ie continental competitions like the CL/EL etc. I believe this makes the game more unrealistic. Anyone else have any other interpretation of this? Is this a complete misunderstanding from my side or what? Please correct me if I am wrong on the issue.

This is what I've heard. Although I've had surprise performance in competitions that I've set to 'none'.

However, I've also heard that setting competitions to 'none' can affect regens/newgens/insertwordgens in some negative way.

What "later stages" and "main stage" means, I have no clue. I was wondering the same myself. Can someone clarify please?

For me this is the major issue.

Setting detail level to none can have quite an effect on the game. Recently I was knocked out of a competition in the group stages while Liverpool won my group, generally fielding their strongest possible team. As I was knocked out, the detail level automatically changed to 'none' since I was no longer in it, and Liverpool (as well as other teams) suddenly decide to field lots of unknown youngsters in the knockout rounds, leaving out the likes of Torres and Gerrard.

This isn't just a one-off, as I've done alot editing which means I have to test the database by running it on holiday for a few seasons, and sometimes I set everything at full detail and sometimes at none, just to see the differences. Again, I notice that on full detail Liverpool will generally field their strongest team in every game (Rafa, take note!), but on no detail Gerrard and Torres can't get in the team and only play 5 or 6 games a season in all comps.

This of course throws up some strange results, and in my test runs on full detail the World League is generally won by R. Madrid, Barcelona, Inter, etc. but on no detail I have had the likes of Genoa, Tottenham and Al-Ittihad (KSA) climbing the divisions and winning the league, with AC Milan and Man Utd getting relegated because they aren't picking their best players.

It's the same with cup comps, big teams go out early while some very random and unrealistic teams go on to win it.

So for me I like to put on everything on full detail, as it makes everything more realistic.

• Administrators

Full details means the matches are played out properly in the 'Full match engine' (however doing slows down the game).

If it's run with no detail the matches are run in the 'Quick match engine' where the results are weighted more (but not exclusively) towards teams reputation when deciding results.

Full details means the matches are played out properly in the 'Full match engine' (however doing slows down the game).

If it's run with no detail the matches are run in the 'Quick match engine' where the results are weighted more (but not exclusively) towards teams reputation when deciding results.

Do you know what 'Later Stages' and 'Main Stages' mean?

Any note on how it supposedly affects regens when it's set to none?

It doesn't affect regen production, merely processing speed for matches (as per nbrocky's comments).

Main Stages and Later Stages- Later Stages is after Main Stages, I presume Later means quarter finals onwards or similar and Main means the first official round (i.e. not qualifying).

It doesn't affect regen production, merely processing speed for matches (as per nbrocky's comments).

Main Stages and Later Stages- Later Stages is after Main Stages, I presume Later means quarter finals onwards or similar and Main means the first official round (i.e. not qualifying).

That's what I would've thought, however the qualifying stages are seperate to the finals in Detail Level (so you can set qualifying to 'main stages' and the main competition to 'later stages').

That's what I would've thought, however the qualifying stages are seperate to the finals in Detail Level (so you can set qualifying to 'main stages' and the main competition to 'later stages').

No he means qualifying rounds of for example the Fa Cup (and maybe the euro cup)....not qualifying for international tournaments that nations play in.

Archived