What was this FA thinking!!

149ba00.png

Right, so Nigeria win the World Cup which tbf was very unusual. So you would assume that the manager would be the most popular man in the country and should be knighted etc.

hs3lvn.png

Overlooking the fact that i got sacked after reaching the QF with Italy, for some very bizarre reason the Nigeria manager got the sack - who should be a national hero :confused:

Ivory Coast have just won the World Cup on my current save. I was quite surprised by that alone, even though they've got a fairly good squad if truth be told.

As for the op and follow ups, it sounds more like the guy resigned. To be fair, I would likely do the same thing with an international job. You can't get much higher than winning the World Cup after all. With international management, I would probably be a bit like Hiddink. The challenge being to take control of nations that aren't favourites particularly, then see how far you can take them. To take an unfancied nation to a major tournament and win... now that's an achievement!

I like this theory :thup::D

It gets better he was brought in both times to get Nigeria to the World Cup after a previous manager messed up, a feat he achieved twice. There is actually an article in this months World Soccer about if if your interested. Lagerback essentially now has a month to get his squad picked and ready for the World Cup.

It gets better he was brought in both times to get Nigeria to the World Cup after a previous manager messed up, a feat he achieved twice. There is actually an article in this months World Soccer about if if your interested. Lagerback essentially now has a month to get his squad picked and ready for the World Cup.

The FA's in the African Nations are pretty appalling tbh, i mean the Ivery Coast manager got the sack a couple of weeks back, which all just seems ludicrous. Imo they should wait after the WC to see what they should do with managers. The Benin FA were the worst as the basically cleared all the playing and coaching staff after the African Cup of Nations.

back in ye olde days of fm 09...the FA ruined my game...granted it happened when i was in the championship and the incident was in the PL...all bottom 5 clubs were on 19 points with 6 games remaining...then 2 teams got relegated....leaving Derby in the 18th place spot with 1 game left, against the team above them.who they were level on points with..then the FA ruined the magic of the PL....they docked Derby 10 points for going into Admin and making the last game irrelavent...i was really excited about it and was regulaly checking on the prgress and was going to watch that match....but then the news came through that it didnt matter and they had been docked 10 points the day before the game!!! i was like " WTF...NOOOO...DOCK THEM THE POINTS NEXT SEASON..." i never managed in england again on that save. " in my mind i was protesting to the english FA for it"

On mine capello won the euros with england and choose to "resign on a high note"

Mmm, that seems unusual. In addition, I also think that the FA of many top country's tend to be too high. Irl Domenech hasn't got the sack yet after years of incompetence and after a poor showing with a big team at a big stage can lead to the sack

I would like it if there was a clear indication though, instead of speculation whether it was a resignation or a sacking

You can see on the nation's 'Landmarks' page or on the manager's page whether it was a resignation or sacking.

Managers leaving on a high is fairly common on the international scene in FM, though Lippi is the only real life example I can think of. Makes sense when you think about it. Aside from the 'leave on a high' thing, an international manager can't do much about the quality of his players like he can at a club, and if you overachieve at international level then it will only last for so long, whereas at a club you can take advantage of a rep/budget increase to help sustain it. Though as a teambuilder-style manager maybe thats just me where that's a concern.

Managers leaving on a high is fairly common on the international scene in FM, though Lippi is the only real life example I can think of.

Yes, it's reasonably common in real life. Most World Cup winning managers leave their posts just after the tournament. The last five have, and I'm sure there are more.

The weirdest thing about that screenshot is not that he resigned, its that Lee Cattermole was playing for England.

I mean, he's a decent midfielder, thats about it. I dread to think what sort of injury crisis there must have been for him to get into the England team.

Funny this should be mentioned now as i have just been offered the brazillian job twice in three months. After i rejected it the first time the new manager played three friendlies two of which he won and the third he lost. After that he was sacked and i was offered the job again.

Archived